Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Diesel fuel Canada to Alaska

I bought a copy of the mile post and have not determined the longest distance between diesel fuel pumps. Going from florida thru canada to alaska in a couple years from now and just planning ahead. Will I need another diesel fuel tank in this 07 chevy 2500hd diesel?
w2drfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2014, 05:00 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
I found my answer. Its about 498 miles between whitehorse and tok. About 108 for the second longest distance and 75 or less the rest of the trip.

http://forums.goodsamclub.com/index....d/24430327.cfm
Old 06-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I bought a copy of the mile post and have not determined the longest distance between diesel fuel pumps. Going from florida thru canada to alaska in a couple years from now and just planning ahead. Will I need another diesel fuel tank in this 07 chevy 2500hd diesel?
If your truck is like my brothers 09 duramax was and only had 25 gallon tank then you need more. Unfortunately I have never made that trip but I know a few times we could barely go 150 miles and he was seriously needing fuel.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
If your truck is like my brothers 09 duramax was and only had 25 gallon tank then you need more. Unfortunately I have never made that trip but I know a few times we could barely go 150 miles and he was seriously needing fuel.

Chad
Hi
we did Alaska in 2006 with a GM Dmax towing a 10,000lb fiver and never had a problem getting diesel, but did carry an extra 10 gallons which were never used.
There are small towns and fuel stops every 75-100 miles or less.
As good as the Milepost is, it's a year out of date when you buy it, so don't rely on which places are open or closed, and just get fuel whenever you have the chance.
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:30 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
On our way to AK now with a 2005 GMC Duramax towing a 21' Gulf Stream. Will let you know if we get stranded and you can bring us some fuel when you come up. I have about 17 extra gallons of diesel fuel (just in case). Almost had to break it out yesterday in South Dakota as I-90 was torn up and I missed a fuel stop. Was running on fumes when we stopped for fuel.

Look to be home before mid September.

burfurd
Old 07-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Jayco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies. I will lprobably get 3 or 4 five gallon containers and fill them up. I saw a couple external fuel tanks but those are expdnsive and take up space.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
I found my answer. Its about 498 miles between whitehorse and tok. About 108 for the second longest distance and 75 or less the rest of the trip.

Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Alaska Hwy fuel stops
More like 386 miles. Stop for fuel at Otter Falls Cutoff just before Haines Junction, about 100 from Whitehorse.

The usual fuel stops are Ft St John, Ft Nelson, Contact Creek before Watson Lake, Teslin, Whitehorse, Otter Falls Cutoff before Haines Junction, and Tok. There are others, but these are the most reliable and have decent prices considering where they are. They can be done with a tank having 30 gallons useable capacity at 9+ mpg. Carrying a spare can or two is a good idea.

Have made 8 trips in the last 7 years. Enjoy the trip.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 01:52 PM   #8

We drove Alaska last summer. 11,000 miles total. I had a 5 gallon kicker of diesel fuel, never used it. Diesel can be found in the most remote towns, no problems. I also have a Durmax GMC, getting 13-15 mpg pulling our 5th wheel Cougar. On average we found fuel in Canada for 5.25 a gallon, remember thy sell it in liters. I drove on a half tank fill up schedule, while in Canada. I did notice a drop in power burning Canada diesel, but after adding Standydne additive it was better. Frost heaves in the Yukon will tear your rig up if you're not careful. Cottonwood RV Park is a beautiful place to stop in the Yukon. It's just north of Haines Junction. Fuel in Alaska was plentiful, and cost about 4.05 to 4.25 a gallon.
jmerik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:14 PM   #9

You can buy diesel several places between Whitehorse and Tok. Haines Junction, Destruction Bay, Beaver Creek all in the Yukon and just across the border at Border City Alaska then Tok Alaska. Border City is the first in Alaska and it is cheaper than Canada by quite a lot and then Tok is cheaper still. Cheap is not the operative word here but less expensive is.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:11 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
More like 386 miles. Stop for fuel at Otter Falls Cutoff just before Haines Junction, about 100 from Whitehorse.
What are we looking at as far as regular gas. You kind of got me a little worried 350+ miles between fuel stops? The stations that sell regular gas, do they also sell different grades (87,89, 91 octane). My Tundra does better on the mid-grade stuff.

Was just planning on taking one 5 gallon extra gas can for safe measures. I figure 5 gallons will get me 50-60 miles....Also plan to buy a Honda 2000 genny, and take my 2 gallon gas can just for that.

Planning a trip up in 16' or 17'. Flew up last Aug. for 20 days to Fairbanks....Have family in North Pole.

AK. pics 2013
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:47 AM   #11

I'm not sure where the 350 mile distance between fuel stops is coming from, but I can tell you first hand they're not that far apart. If you drive with the thought of fueling up at a half tank, you'll even pass up fuel stations. One thing to remember is that since finding all the natural gas reserves, there are many more places to get fuel. Down side is, we found many campgrounds closed because the oil companies have bought them for their employees to use. Slow down, enjoy the ride and scenery, buy fuel before you absolutely need it. The Milepost is a very good reference, but be advised some of the info is dated. All in all though, its a good guide to bring along. One thing for sure is the road conditions north of the Kulane NP all they way to the border are pretty bad. Last summer they began removing the pavement, and there was a lot of mud, 22 miles was the longest stretch.
jmerik1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #12

FUEL:

Ft St John to Ft Nelson 240 miles
Ft Nelson to Contact Creek 283 miles Fuel also at Toad River, 120 miles from Ft Nelaon
Contact Creek to Teslin 205 miles
Teslin to Otter Falls Cutoff 190 miles
Otter Falls to Tok 313 miles If this is too far, fuel is available at Border City, approx 110 miles before Tok.

All of the stations also sell gas. They have A gas pump, usually mid grade.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanx...
I'm guessing I have a range of about 250 miles. Will have to plan accordingly. If my wife saw this post she will flip....She gets nerves anytime we go below 1/4 of a tank.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:14 AM   #14

ksmith,
altho expensive, Transferflow and Titan offer replacement tanks for shortbed/longbed pickups that add about 25 gallons--these don't take up bed space.
I have a 60gal tank in the bed of my 450--was very glad to have it on our AK trip in '12, but for picking low pricing, not necessarily for distance. Bought diesel in Fairbanks at Sams Club at a great savings compared to local options.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel