Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #1

Just wanted to share an experience that happened to me Monday morning in hopes that it will help any fellow iRV2 members. The weather to say the least has been a bit cold here.

I am an ex-diesel mechanic and have owned many diesel trucks and I always run Diesel Fuel Conditioner when refueling in the winter. Even though I used conditioner I must have purchased some poor fuel because I gelled up and all that the engine would do is idle but would not increase RPM. I ran to the store with my Wife's Cherokee and upon a suggestion from a close friend that owns a Navistar Franchise I purchased Diesel 9*1*1 and put it into the fuel tank and ran the truck at idle for a half hour and it ran fine. Can't say enough about this product. I also found out from speaking to several friend's that own repair shops that I was not alone with my gelling problem on Monday morning.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem!

Paul & Sherry, Megan, Thomas, Ryan
Paul_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2005, 08:11 PM   #2

Just wanted to share an experience that happened to me Monday morning in hopes that it will help any fellow iRV2 members. The weather to say the least has been a bit cold here.

I am an ex-diesel mechanic and have owned many diesel trucks and I always run Diesel Fuel Conditioner when refueling in the winter. Even though I used conditioner I must have purchased some poor fuel because I gelled up and all that the engine would do is idle but would not increase RPM. I ran to the store with my Wife's Cherokee and upon a suggestion from a close friend that owns a Navistar Franchise I purchased Diesel 9*1*1 and put it into the fuel tank and ran the truck at idle for a half hour and it ran fine. Can't say enough about this product. I also found out from speaking to several friend's that own repair shops that I was not alone with my gelling problem on Monday morning.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem!

Paul & Sherry, Megan, Thomas, Ryan
Paul_NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:39 PM   #3

It would do no harm to put a bug in the ear of the fuel suppliers.

That is totally preventable,up here all the stations go to #2 Diesel in the fall. I have not had any type of problem even at -50f up here.

I have also heard of the 911, it has a good reputation, thanks for verifying that it does indeed work.

Last year I would occasionally put in Stanadyne, but I keep forgetting to get another gallon this year.

Stay warm and drive safe!
Old 01-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #4

I use Stanadyne all year. It is a great injector lube and when winter comes....I just keep using it.
I have never gelled up.
Chet
Old 02-04-2005, 04:29 PM   #5

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul_NJ:

and upon a suggestion from a close friend that owns a Navistar Franchise I purchased http://www.powerservice.com/diesel_911.asp <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of the trucks for the company I work for gelled up a month ago. Diesel 911 to the rescue. Poured a bottle in each tank. Got a new fuel filter, and put 1/2 bottle, along with some treated diesel in the fliter. Purged the system by hand, and it started. Not very well at first, smoke, stink, chugged, stumbled, but I told the guy who was sent down to help me to just let it idle. In about 10 minutes, ran smooth. Ya, that is good stuff.

I put a 54 gallon replacement tank on my Dodge from Transfer Flow. In the winter time, I always add 4 oz of Howe's to the tank when I fill up. I've never had a problem......yet...
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 02:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Paul,
The PS products come highly recommended and I run a dose of their Diesel Kleen through the last tank in the fall and store the truck over winter with a treated full tank. Checked Wally World last night and they have most everything but 911. Will check out auto supply stores, would like to have a bottle on the shelf just in case.
Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2005, 09:21 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the heads up!!!! I would not have known what to do....Thank you!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 10:36 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Lynn and Mike

Wal-Mart sells power service diesel fuel conditioner. Some stores carry the 911 , but not all. I use P/S conditioner all the time never had a problem.

By the way good luck with your new PSD .

1995 Winnebago Vectra 35 RQ
Jpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Jim,
Will be making our weekly trip to Wally World today, will ask the help if they have some 911 out back.
Can't wait till Spring to get the PSD out, this is my first experience with a diesel, got a little to learn.
Tell Mary Jo we think of her often and hope all is well.
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote