Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
palehorse89, in that diagram, what is AGO and VGO?

Also, do you know if Jet is a low sulphur fuel?

Just curious. I like to know how things work sometimes.. Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
palehorse89, in that diagram, what is AGO and VGO? AGO - Atmospheric Gas Oil, VGO is Vacuum gas oil

Also, do you know if Jet is a low sulphur fuel? We quit making jet fuel a while back, I am going to say it also would need to be stripped of sulfur.
Jet-A versus Diesel fuel €” General Aviation News

Just curious. I like to know how things work sometimes.. Thanks!
If you look up the refining process, charts will differ per the process and equipment. Here is a better look at the process
http://www.processengr.com/ppt_prese..._processes.pdf
(Answers in red above)

This is our latest expansion at our plant http://www.timesobserver.com/page/co....html?nav=5006 ,and as you read, the process and hydrogen is needed to meet the government standards today. 35mil project!

Old 12-20-2015, 01:26 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
I see the last link gets blocked out with a subscription window.......
Here is what was in the local paper:

United Refining can build hydrogen plant

December 4, 2015

By ROB ANDERSEN (randersen@timesobserver.com) , Times Observer
Save | Post a comment |
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection has issued a plan approval for United Refining Company to build and operate a hydrogen plant.
The overview of the permit states, "The Steam Methane Reformer (SMR) Hydrogen Plant will produce high-purity hydrogen from natural gas. Additionally, hydrogen plant operations will generate 41,500 pounds per hour of steam. The primary benefit of the SMR hydrogen plant is to produce high purity hydrogen so that URC no longer needs to purchase hydrogen from outside vendors."
The company's annual reports to the federal Securities and Exchange Commission explain that hydrogen and naptha are used to remove sulfur from fuels, including kerosene and diesel.
Some construction is underway, but United Refining representatives did not respond to multiple requests for comment.
Old 12-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #18

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cool thanks for that!
Old 12-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #19

One reason I asked this, was back in my day when the government made everybody go to unleaded gasoline, it hurt engines... Now, the ultra low sulfer diesel has removed almost all lubricating properties available to the pumps, injectors, etc. Actually I don't see myself putting 100,000+ miles on this new pickup in my lifetime,,, but wouldn't mind it. That would mean we are traveling more ! Either way, I want to take care of my Large investment.... Thanks for your input, think I'll go with Stanadyne. Monkey
monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Folks can buy and add all the additives they wish to spend their money on. There are a staggering number of diesel trucks on our highway's operating on the produced/supplied diesel fuel without adding anything. Fill them up and run them. A lot of them run over 1 million miles with today's technology. Wonder how many?

Quote:
How big is the trucking industry?
The trucking companies, warehouses and private sector in the U.S. employs an estimated 8.9 million people employed in trucking-related jobs; nearly 3.5 million were truck drivers. Of this figure UPS employs 60,000 workers and 9% are owner operators. LTL shippers account for around 13.6 percent of America's trucking sector.
How many trucks operate in the U.S.?
Estimates of 15.5 million trucks operate in the U.S.. Of this figure 2 million are tractor trailers.

Just to enlighten on this subject, my ISC back in the year 2000, was made and is able to run ULSD.........it is my manual for the engine. The Cummins engineer's knew back then that this was coming.........
The lubricity today is a additive to make up for the removal of the sulfur, hard to believe that sulfur was a lubricating agent.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:46 PM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel Fuel Treatment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Just to enlighten on this subject, my ISC back in the year 2000, was made and is able to run ULSD.........it is my manual for the engine. The Cummins engineer's knew back then that this was coming.........
The lubricity today is a additive to make up for the removal of the sulfur, hard to believe that sulfur was a lubricating agent.
I have read that the sulfur itself doesn't affect lubricity at all. Rather, the process of removing sulfur also removes components of the fuel that add lubricity. If you have a pre-ULSD engine, you need some way of raising lubricity back to the level that the older injector pumps need. I think adding biodiesel to the mix restores some of it, but maybe not enough.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #22

I grew up on a farm with a diesel tractor, skid steer, generator, etc.
We never put any additives in the fuel and never had any problems.
I was an over the road truck driver for a while. I never put anything in the tank but diesel fuel and I never had any problems.
I've owned diesel pick-ups since 2005 for my electrical contracting business. I never put anything in the tanks but diesel fuel and never had any problems.

I don't see the need to waste my money on any snake oil in the tank.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #23
IC2

It seems to be a matter of what you think best for your comfort level. I use the white bottle Diesel Kleen products for the anti gel and lubricity sake in the winter and the silver jug the rest of the year also for lubricity as those diesel engine fuel pump failures can get real expensive as they tend to take out eight $420 each fuel injectors when they fail too.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just like some swear by full syn oil and others use dino oil. I use the dino and nothing but diesel. I'll never wear it out.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:16 AM   #25

There is no such thing as brand name diesel. It is a common pipe line fuel. Every station in an area will get thier diesel from the same place. Gas is different. I use Howes year round. Have for the past 35 years big trucks and little ones. Lubricates the pump and injector works well for me.
Old 12-21-2015, 04:59 AM   #26

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
I have read that the sulfur itself doesn't affect lubricity at all. Rather, the process of removing sulfur also removes components of the fuel that add lubricity. If you have a pre-ULSD engine, you need some way of raising lubricity back to the level that the older injector pumps need. I think adding biodiesel to the mix restores some of it, but maybe not enough.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
With the removal of the sulfur is where the largest part of the problem started,
Quote: the refinery processing technology not only lowered the sulfur content but also removed trace amounts of certain polar impurities.

Interesting reading here: http://biodiesel.org/docs/ffs-perfor...y-benefits.pdf

Note the comments from test results by Stanadyne
http://www.melepera.com/documents/Lo...ing%20Saga.pdf

Our plant also adds "Lubricity Additives" ............

Old 12-21-2015, 06:31 AM   #27

Our ULSD today is supposed to have a minimum SCAR of 520. A lower number is better. In Europe minimum scar is 400. European diesel is what the CP4 pumps found in Powerstrokes, LML Duramax and others was designed for.

Unfortunately SCAR stateside varies widely and testing has found some areas selling diesel with SCAR in the 600 range because there is not oversight.

Canadian diesel is much better regulated.

If you live in the states and drive a diesel with a CP4 type HPFP, I'd suggest running an additive that increases lubricity.
Old 12-21-2015, 06:56 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks, that study of the additives was very enlightening.

Tags
diesel, fuel