Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2015, 07:08 AM   #29

Also, if you live in cold weather climates and it's late OCT early November and you are forecast to get a really cold snap... GET SOME WINTER ADDITIVE IN YOUR TANK!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:01 AM   #30
srh

Country Coach Owners Club
I have had MB diesel cars since early 80's (7 of them including my current S350). I live in MI, and have never put any additives. Sometimes I didn't drive them over the winter months and some times I did. My earlier ones had a glow plug (you had to wait a few seconds before starting it), the newer ones including my current one you don't have to wait. Over all these years, I have never had any problems with fuel gelling or starting.
Have fun driving your diesel!!

Old 12-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #31

As fuel pressure has gone from 3000 - 20000+ psi, the lubricity is being decreased.

CARB Fuels Workshop
Sacramento, CA
Feb. 20, 2003
Klaus Meyer and Thomas C. Livingston
Robert Bosch GmbH

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline...22003bosch.pdf

...just saying.

I pay for the added lubricity, Then again I put synth oil in the toys also....

To each their own.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #32

Never needed any additive in my diesels since 92.
Spend a winter up north at -40 and the diesel I used was from an outside storage tank.
I have a 2005 with original injectors that have never skipped a beat and I don't see the need to change.
There is to much snake oil being used for no reason and results.
Besides no one here does more than 100k with their trucks. Why be concerned.
My cars had over 300k with no fuel pumps or injector problems.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:24 AM   #33
IC2

In today's world with more privately owned diesel pickups and cars, the potential of waxing has probably lessened vs 15 or so years ago with 'winter' fuel usually available after Nov 1. Pulling a wax filled fuel bowl isn't pretty as I found with my little tractor one cold (-10F) morning when I tried to start it to plow my driveway to go to work. Buy your fuel where there is a lot of diesel traffic and there will be little chance of wax while your local gas station with a diesel pump in the corner of the lot may have a full tank of 'summer' fuel and a potential for ---- wax. Diesel Kleen or similar is just to make sure that my Ford isn't found on the road dead with a goo filled fuel system Of course, with global warming and the prediction of doom, it wont happen - yep!!!!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Never needed any additive in my diesels since 92.
Spend a winter up north at -40 and the diesel I used was from an outside storage tank.
I have a 2005 with original injectors that have never skipped a beat and I don't see the need to change.
There is to much snake oil being used for no reason and results.
Besides no one here does more than 100k with their trucks. Why be concerned.
My cars had over 300k with no fuel pumps or injector problems.
You're in Canada. They have much more strict diesel fuel standards.

As was stated in the previous post, winter blends start in late October and usually protect colder and colder to the heart of winter then gradually lighten up as spring hits.

I'm in MT. Last year the first week of November was -20F. The local Winter Blend fuels was not enough. The local teuck stop doesnt offer #1 and had trucks gelled in their lot. Trucks gelled along the inrerstate. Lines backed up at the one gas station rhat sells #1. Not a bottle of diesel additive to be found for days on the shelves. I wonder why that was?

On top of everything, BCOOKE provides a link to a study performed by Bosch, you know the people who make the high pressure fuel pumps in your diesel TV, outlining in plain English their pumps will fail prematurely with the majority of diesel fuels found in the USA. With a CP4 that means wiping out the entire fuel system.

Running additive in your diesel is about like buying a 4X4. Not really worth it until that one time you really wish you had it.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:46 AM   #35

Another interesting story, I pulled throttle for BNSF for years. When the BNSF merger happened, the norther BN execs gave themselves golden parachutes and the southern SF exec took over.

They couldn't figure why we spent so much money on additives and blended fuel in the locomotives, and despite protest cut funding for them.

That winter as trains were stopped dead on the mainline on the northern coal corridor execs accused local guys of sabotage and flew out and got helicopters certain no trains were actually dead and snowed in on the mainline.

We never had any more issues getting additives and blended fuel after that.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #36

With Biodiesel the pour pt is even higher then plain #2 . Never gelled in 35 winters of being in some cold places. I always thought it was much cheaper to dump additive in the tank then sitting beside the road freezing my a## off trying to put on a filter or waiting for a wrecker, but that's just me.
You folks that think it is snake oil need to read some scientific facts about todays diesel. Or just watch the news on a sub zero day and look at the gelled up trks beside the road because the co was too cheap to pay for additives . Been there to see it .
Old 12-22-2015, 06:49 PM   #37

Jayco Owners Club
I'll retire from BNSF in another 10 months... Looks like I'll be buying an additive for lubrication from now on.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:00 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
I'll retire from BNSF in another 10 months... Looks like I'll be buying an additive for lubrication from now on.
I assume you work for the railroad, if so do you /they put additives in their fuel tanks? 4-5k/gal tanks.........
Old 12-22-2015, 08:43 PM   #39

I have not worked there for 4.5yrs. They did not add additive to the locomotive tanks. Fueling operations were handled by the Roundhouse employees. Our Roundhouse had a huge storage tank and was supplied for years via pipeline from the local Cenex fuel terminal for years until the Yellowstone changed main channels and started eroding away around the bridge that carried the pipeline. They stopped using that and installed a terminal near our depot where trucks pull up and pump in, actually yapping in to where we had a fueling station on the Mainline. When we were going full out they couldn't keep up with trucks and built a spur for offloading tank cars. The second floor of our depot was offices for the Road master and Road foreman. Along the hallway were pictures from that winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1450838557789.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	114722  
Old 12-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #40

Jayco Owners Club
Yes, I work for the railroad. I'm also a licensed aircraft mechanic... but I build computer rooms and maintain the cabling and data transmission equipment. I'm not sure what they do with fuel additives. Sorry...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I work for a large electric utility in So Cal. Most, if not all the big trucks are diesel and nothing is added to the fuel.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:33 PM   #42

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I work for a large electric utility in So Cal. Most, if not all the big trucks are diesel and nothing is added to the fuel.
Well, um, like, SoCal, man.

Tags
diesel, fuel