Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 11:49 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
For a few more weeks.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2015, 02:06 AM   #44

Some are talking about fuel gelling and some about lubricity. I feel like a split personality. Two different issues and two different additives formulations. OP was asking about gelling.

additives are not optimal for both but they sell them that way, thus snake oil. Andy Granatelli
Old 12-23-2015, 03:50 AM   #45

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
Yes, I work for the railroad. I'm also a licensed aircraft mechanic... but I build computer rooms and maintain the cabling and data transmission equipment. I'm not sure what they do with fuel additives. Sorry...
When you brought up that you worked for BNSF (Had to look that up) and found out that that was a large railroad company, and you were posting about using Diesel fuel additives, that you were linked to the Locomotive/engine side of the industry is all..........Sorry for my question to you, my bad for assuming something.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:08 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbonz View Post
Some are talking about fuel gelling and some about lubricity. I feel like a split personality. Two different issues and two different additives formulations. OP was asking about gelling.

additives are not optimal for both but they sell them that way, thus snake oil. Andy Granatelli
Um... what?

Stanadyne Performance Formula® protects your diesel engine and restores engine performance. The detergency and cetane improver in Performance Formula will help restore fuel economy, increase horsepower and torque.

-Restores/Increase Horsepower – detergents clean deposits in the injection system resulting in improved combustion, better acceleration, power, and torque
-Reduces Fuel Consumption – independent tests show an average of 4% improvement in MPG and gains up to 9.6%
-Cetane Improver – improves combustion resulting in better engine starting, smooth running, and reduced engine noise
-Meets all engine fuel system requirements and will not harm exhaust aftertreatment systems
-Reduces Emissions – reduces Smoke and Particulates
-Cleans and Protects – detergents and deposit modifiers help protect injection pumps, injectors, nozzles, etc.
-Reduces Wear – lubricity improvers restore lubricity to ultra low sulfur and other low lubricity diesel fuels
-Stabilizes Fuel - keeps fuel fresher and protects against formations of gums caused by oxidation
-Cold Weather Protection – improves diesel pour point up to 40°F (22°C), and cold filter plug point by up to 25°F (13°C), depending on base fuel
-Corrosion Preventative– Corrosion inhibiters will protect the fuel system from rust and corrosion
-Helps Remove Water – special demulsifiers cause tiny water droplets to come out of suspension/emulsion, so the filter/separator can more effectively remove water
-Contains No Alcohol – avoids corrosion and accelerated wear
-Specially Formulated for use with ultra low sulfur diesel fuel
-Can be used with Bio Diesel Fuel up to B20 (20% bio content approved ) – increased water separation shown in bio content up to B20
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:34 PM   #47

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
When you brought up that you worked for BNSF (Had to look that up) and found out that that was a large railroad company, and you were posting about using Diesel fuel additives, that you were linked to the Locomotive/engine side of the industry is all..........Sorry for my question to you, my bad for assuming something.
I didn't see this as a problem... no apology necessary... it's all good.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Um... what?

Stanadyne Performance Formula® protects your diesel engine and restores engine performance. The detergency and cetane improver in Performance Formula will help restore fuel economy, increase horsepower and torque.

-Restores/Increase Horsepower – detergents clean deposits in the injection system resulting in improved combustion, better acceleration, power, and torque
-Reduces Fuel Consumption – independent tests show an average of 4% improvement in MPG and gains up to 9.6%
-Cetane Improver – improves combustion resulting in better engine starting, smooth running, and reduced engine noise
-Meets all engine fuel system requirements and will not harm exhaust aftertreatment systems
-Reduces Emissions – reduces Smoke and Particulates
-Cleans and Protects – detergents and deposit modifiers help protect injection pumps, injectors, nozzles, etc.
-Reduces Wear – lubricity improvers restore lubricity to ultra low sulfur and other low lubricity diesel fuels
-Stabilizes Fuel - keeps fuel fresher and protects against formations of gums caused by oxidation
-Cold Weather Protection – improves diesel pour point up to 40°F (22°C), and cold filter plug point by up to 25°F (13°C), depending on base fuel
-Corrosion Preventative– Corrosion inhibiters will protect the fuel system from rust and corrosion
-Helps Remove Water – special demulsifiers cause tiny water droplets to come out of suspension/emulsion, so the filter/separator can more effectively remove water
-Contains No Alcohol – avoids corrosion and accelerated wear
-Specially Formulated for use with ultra low sulfur diesel fuel
-Can be used with Bio Diesel Fuel up to B20 (20% bio content approved ) – increased water separation shown in bio content up to B20
And it cooks eggs and improves your investor performance beating the S&P averages. Thanks for confirming my point on the snake oil. This is PURELY marketing hype, with very little if any data to prove all of this AND if you want to believe it ALL, then I have some swamp land in the everglades that I am willing to sell.

Again, gelling and lubricity and performance all all different issues and one additive that does it all, can't do any one very well, especially at the quantity that you are using per tank.

Use good diesel, from a high volume station and you are avoiding most of the problems. If you feel the need to add something for your own peace of mind and you have anecdotal evidence that it works, then good on ya.

Sorry, but I am not believing the hype. AND I am an automotive engineer, have had years of experiance with fuels and additives and have developed a health skeptism about this stuff.

End of rant, your experiance may differ.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:59 PM   #49

So you are claiming to have tested the effectiveness of numerous diesel fuel additives in an independent lab and can debunk the claims made by the additive manufacturers?
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:54 PM   #50

In the past I have used 2 cycle oil TC3 formula to improve the performance of a bad tank of fuel.
I could feel it when towing, and my instant mpg would show a bad fuel.
But lately with the new fuels this happens very rarely. I use to find certain product better then others and never fillup on price.
But now it seldom happens but if it does I use the TC3.
It use to be a hot item on all diesel forums before the ULSD.
But I only saw improvements from bad fuel and the method of dumping in the truck tank was very important.
Old 12-25-2015, 05:17 PM   #51

Boy I opened a can of worms huh ? That was not my intention, but I do appreciatte all the responses. Just like anything, I see this as a personal choice. I'll make mine. (with the good input from people like you) I'll be adding Stanadyne. Thanks again and MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #52

Nothing personal my manual says no additives
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 PM   #53

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Nothing personal my manual says no additives
Does your manual specify minimum cetane rating for your fuel? Does it mention having to "add" anti-gel to your fuel if the weather is going to be extremely cold? To correct these things you have to add an ADDITIVE.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 06:33 PM   #54

One of the biggest problems is ULSF. Ultra low sulfer. A lubercosity additive is supposed to be added when it is loaded into a tanker truck. Without the proper lube you get scuffing in the fuel pump which eventually destroys it. Most additives will add lubercosity to one degree or another. Most will also effect pour pt and waxing to one degree or another . Bottom line is if you live in cold country your fuel is probably blended but you wouldn't hurt yourself to carry some additive with you. Beats the heck out of a tow.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:30 PM   #55

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting reading: http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEV...yeNYaXLyyWqRc-
Old 01-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #56

I use Stanadyne Performance Formula.
racer4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel