Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 PM   #57

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Interesting that Cummins used to say NO to any additives, now they have their own line of them and DO recommend them! I bought three bottles of it, intending to add it when I filled the tank and forgot to add them. Now the tanks is full so I'll have to take it for a drive to mix the fuel and additives up.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 06:05 PM   #58

Here is a reason to use anti-gel, especially if expecting a cold snap early or late. I believe blends are regional, this is eastern MT. This really shows why the -25 artic blast we had the first week of Nov. 2014 had tons of diesels gelled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160108_103200.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	186.8 KB
ID:	116048  
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #59

This is a normal winter...

I don't use any anti-gel products at all in 13 years and never gelled once!
Old 01-09-2016, 08:34 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've had jelling problems on two different motorhomes.

First our Airstream 345 Turbo Diesel jelled right away when we tried to leave on a trip to NOLA. I kept adding additive to it until we got to warmer weather, but it was not fun. The additive would loosen it up for a while, but then it would jell again.

Last year our Cat Diesel jelled when we started a trip to AZ. We got half way to Des Moines and I began loosing power. I turned around and limped it home. We got it into the shop the next day and changed the filters, added more additive, had it filled with Winter blend fuel and were on our way.

Both times I had run to town and filled with Winter Blend, but only was able to pump in half a tank. Evidently not enough. Both times it was well below zero.

I also had added an additive to prevent jelling both times. Evidently not enough either. I will add plenty this year when we leave.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:50 AM   #61

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
I've had jelling problems on two different motorhomes.
I am not trying to diagnose your problems, only offering a possible cause that is more likely.

More often than not, if the fuel being sold in your area has additives in it during cold season, the problem was water turning to ice and plugging filters.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I am not trying to diagnose your problems, only offering a possible cause that is more likely.

More often than not, if the fuel being sold in your area has additives in it during cold season, the problem was water turning to ice and plugging filters.
No, the filters were waxed up. Had to replace them.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #63

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
No, the filters were waxed up. Had to replace them.
I've seen what you've written in other similar topics, so I won't say you're wrong, never tried to say you were wrong.

My viewpoint comes from:
- Never having had any fuel problems in cold weather (fleet owner provided Power Service anti-gel additive and told us to use it as soon as the temps got to freezing, and never had a breakdown of any kind fuel related), and,
- Being concerned about my own diesel pickup having cold weather fuel problems, researching cold weather fuel problems, folks that have owned far more trucks than I will probably ever look at state that the problem more often than not is water in the fuel freezing and plugging lines and filters.Having been around diesel engines since I was knee high to a grasshopper, I'm inclined to believe that over large fleets and even larger data sets, water is the problem.

Everyone is likely to have a somewhat different experience with this stuff.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Does your manual specify minimum cetane rating for your fuel? Does it mention having to "add" anti-gel to your fuel if the weather is going to be extremely cold? To correct these things you have to add an ADDITIVE.
schrod
I disagree.
In my 3126 Cat powered MH, I've used over 18,000 gallons of diesel fuel, (so far)...but I have never used a fuel additive... (even in sub zero Wisconsin winter temperatures).
Mel
'96 Safari, (145k miles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 02:51 PM   #65
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I tend to agree with 1bigmess and mel_s that the problem is water in the diesel. Although I'm a relatively new comer to diesel MHs (only since 2007), I have had diesel autos since 1983 (six different ones) and live in MI. Fortunately, I have not experienced any fuel related issues.
Travel Safely!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #66

Power Service 911 is a product I carry in the truck all winter. It claims to re-liquify gelled diesel fuel simply by pouring it into your tank, it then migrates throughout the entire fuel system. Thankfully I've never had fuel gell in over 40 years of owning and using farm tractors, pickups, and my MH.

For lubricity questions, this HFRR Lubricity Additive Study makes a choice quite clear: Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:32 PM   #67

I've seen the Power Service 911 work in a diesel tractor.
427ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:53 PM   #68

Earlier diesels were not made to use non sulfur diesel. I used it constantly in my 05 but never in my 2012. It was made to work without sulfur.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:58 PM   #69

Diesel Fuel Treatment?

We left for FL in -5 F weather from MN last winter. 150 gallons of summer fuel in the tank. Got about an hour from home and started losing power. Gelling! I limped into a truck stop. I always carry spare filters and power service 911. I spun off the filter, filled the new one with 911 and spun it on. Dumped the rest of the 911 in the tank and started it up. No problems the rest of the way. Luckily, there was a service shop in the same parking lot and the took my used filter an a bit of fuel that I collected from the change. I carry a dishpan to collect any lost fuel during the change. Not fun, but glad I had the stuff with!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:51 AM   #70

First post here.
My experience with diesel additives is, unfortunately, somewhat extensive. My first winter off grid with a diesel generator taught me a lot. Diesel has a cloud point where it waxes. Wax plugs filter, you no run. Never happened on my diesel tractor, but a different type of filter saved me? Don't know.

Drove school bus for too many years. Sometimes the fuel in the home bulk tank was delivered before the blend change from the refinery, so you'd get summer/fall fuel for use at sub zero temperatures. Imagine you in your RV, just idle engine speed possible, so no heat or movement...then add in no insulation, lots of windows, and 50 little people starting to freeze! lousy scenario.

I started treating the fuel (not compensated by the bus fleet owner), just so I wouldn't freeze by butt for an hour waiting for another unit to pick up my students and self. Wouldn't be without additive for cheap insurance. No further waxing/gelling incidents after I started using additives. I might spend $50 for enough additive for 2 years worth of fuel (tractor and generator, no more buses).

Ralph
ralphday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel