Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #1

Diesel Fuel Treatment?

Do you use a diesel fuel treatment in the winter ? I have a new 2015 truck, Duramax, and don't want any problems, since its my daily driver, be it warrenty, fuel gelling , etc ??? It gets single digit temps here in northern Arkansas sometimes,,, and NO its not Alaska... BUT,, it can still cause problems.... Opinions???? Monkey

Yes I drive a truck for a living , thats why I'm asking,,, this is my first new pickup..
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2015, 04:52 PM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
Use anti-gel anytime you see the temp getting down below 20.
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

In our stations here in Indiana they switch over to a blend fuel for the winter. We have never had any issues with fuel gelling. If you want to add an additive I guess it would not hurt anything.

I have been running diesel pick ups since 2002. I put 30,000 mile a year on them. I've never used any additives. Never had a motor issue.

Russell
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 05:43 PM   #4

Russel, thanks, I understand about the switch between #1 and #2 diesel in winter months,,, but that only goes so far... They still put 5 gallon cans of additive in our underground storage tank at work. (not sure what) The one time a few years ago they didn't our center was shut down because the trucks wouldn't run... True it was a rare time here,,, but I rely on my pickup. It's been so warm here in December this year, I'm expecting the worse....
Old 12-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Rare time is what will get you. Pack a pint of Stanadyne Winter 1000 in your tool box or behind the seat. Don't pour it into the fuel tank unless the weather forecast is for a much-colder-than-normal cold snap tonight. Then pour it in and drive a couple of miles to shake it up in the fuel tank.

Winter 1000 « Stanadyne Additives

Keep the fuel tanks full of name-brand diesel. The winterized diesel they have in the wintertime should contain enough additive (or mixture with #1 diesel) to prevent gelling during the normal cold winter weather. But those unexpected severe cold snaps can put you in deep chemise if you aren't prepared to deal with them.

In the 10 years and 200,000 miles I owned my diesel towing machine, I used one pint of Winter 1000 for a severe cold ssnap, and when I sold the truck the new owner inherited the one pint that was in the toolbox. So you probably won't need it very often, but when you need it, you need it now.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

Some stations use a blend of #1 and #2. Some use additive. Some use both.

Even if your diesel is protected from gelling, you should use an additive to prevent water from freezing your lines or filter.

Might also want to use an additive year round in your newer Duramax for extra lubricity to extend the life of your lml CP4 fuel pump.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #7

Just like oil, trucks, ... people have their opinions.

"Fuel Lubricity

Bosch back in the day when desigining the Bosch VP44 injection pump they based the design off of Europian fuel standards of 460 HFRR or less. Just about the time the Bosch VP44 was being introduced to the Cummins engine the US fuel was not adhering to any standards. So even before ULSD (ultra low sulfur diesel) came to be the US fuel had numbers as high as 500-600 HFRR. After a whole diesel industry getting damaged by the fuel the US standard was made at 520 HFRR. But that not going to meet the Bosch standards of <450 HFRR. So hence the 2 cycle oil concept was born to band-aid this issue."

"In the US the ASTM D975 limit is 520 mm, in Europe the EN 590 limit is 460 mm, while the World Wide Fuel Charter recommends a maximum wear scar of 400 mm."

So if you are using US fuel and have any Bosch pumps keep in mind you are most likely getting fuel that is more abrasive than the pump was designed for....... my take!
Old 12-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Some stations use a blend of #1 and #2. Some use additive. Some use both.

Even if your diesel is protected from gelling, you should use an additive to prevent water from freezing your lines or filter.

Might also want to use an additive year round in your newer Duramax for extra lubricity to extend the life of your lml CP4 fuel pump.
Thankyou very much... Thats the main thing I have read about these fuel pumps/engines,,, lubrication... I will start using this,,,,
Stanadyne Performance Formula
Old 12-19-2015, 07:30 PM   #9

I run Kleen in my diesel all the time. It's relatively inexpensive, and my truck starts and runs dramatically better using the stuff. My diesel mechanic suggested it to me, and he says they also run it all the time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I poured everything but the kitchen sink in my 03 Ram 5.9 and it loved it. But this 14 Ram 6.7 has so much more smog and sensors everywhere the only thing going in the tank will be diesel fuel. I'll probably never put more than 150K on it so I'll never wear it out. It's really nice not spending the money on snake oil.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #11

I use Howes. It is safe for new engines. I have never had fuel gel when using Howes. I have had gelled fuel when using Power Service.
OB-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:04 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Howes guarantees their product with paying the tow if you gel up while using the product according to instructions.

I use OptiLube after seeing the results of lubricity testing with many different brands.
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Old 12-20-2015, 06:31 AM   #13

I run Diesel Clean silver bottle during the warm season, and the white bottle in the winter. Works for me.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 06:48 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
The refinery where I work has went to a "All Weather Diesel Fuel" and this is done with strictly additives do to they can no longer blend kero with diesel fuel to make the winter blend due to the governments guide lines on the PPM sulfur. If they used kero, the PPM would not meet the on-road requirements, so we use additives for gelling(Cloud & pour point) cleaning agents and so on. I believe most all refineries are doing this in today's refining and marketing process.........
Diesel Fuel Standards | US EPA

Diesel Fuel Pour Point & Cloud Point

Back when I drove OTR truck, when winter came I use to spike my tanks with kero also. A diesel engine will run really good on kero as it is just a further refined form of diesel fuel, and to go one step above kero, you will find Jet fuel.

Tags
diesel, fuel