Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2019, 07:01 AM   #1

Diesel fuel - truck stops or convenience stops?

When y'all are towing this large trailers with your diesel pickups, do you use the diesel pumps at the convenience stations, or do you use the pumps the OTR rigs use at the truck stops? One of my main objections to our current gas fueled A Class is the challenges faced with getting fuel, especially when towing a Jeep or bike trailer. That's why we are seriously considering a diesel truck/trailer rig.

Chief
Seabee Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 07:17 AM   #2

I always used truck stops but you have to like to walk. Some out of shape people probably can not walk from the tractor trailer pumps to the store twice. Once to give the check the credit card number to turn on the pump and a second time to get the receipt. Lucky I like to walk.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #3

Most of the time I use the pumps for the semi's, as it is a lot easier, but it also depends on how the pumps look in the auto area. If it is crowded, or looks tight, then I avoid it. If I see a dedicated RV area, I will use it. Understand, the truck pumps are usually 5-10 cents more then on the auto side.

Most of the time, the truck section will take longer, and is a dirtier area, but the most I have waited for a pump is about 15 minutes. I have never had any negative reactions from the truckers, but I make sure after fueling I pull forward to open the pumps for the next guy, while I get my receipt. Plus I like that after fueling, I can drive directly into the truck parking area and park if I need to, not worrying about room.
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #4

Big truck pumps when theyre available. Not only are they easier to get in and out of they pump faster too. This may not be relevant with a 25 gallon tank but when youre pumping anything more than 30 gallons it makes a difference.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #5

I'm one that can't make the two trips in and out, and have pulled into some convenience stores that have been tight, but to date haven't got into a situation I couldn't get out of........worst for me has been finding diesel in the Vegas area.....not a lot to choose from...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 11:06 AM   #6

I just installed an auxiliary tank in my truck as I dislike considering a fuel fill with the trailer connected. The trip I took last week where I would have normally filled up at my destination was no worries; made it all the way home. Plus, I saved 51 cents per gallon.

In my mind, the reduced aggravation was worth the tank's expense. Payback at the above savings will be two years. Big advantage to a diesel truck with an auxiliary. I generally fill up at Costco at 7:00AM. As a side note, I usually see a lot of heavy duty trucks filling up there.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:15 AM   #7

During the day my first choice would be to stop at a Flying J and use their RV island. At the end of the day I unhook and top off at whatever station is convenient. I’ve found that stations out west have more room to maneuver than those out east. Out east I’m sure to plan ahead.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee Chief View Post
When y'all are towing this large trailers with your diesel pickups, do you use the diesel pumps at the convenience stations, or do you use the pumps the OTR rigs use at the truck stops?

I have an auxiliary tank in the bed of my truck. Gives me a total fuel volume of about 110 gallons. I can't burn that much fuel in a day. I normally fill up at the significantly cheaper convenience stations rather than truck stops. When I'm doing a multiple day drive, I bite the bullet and use the same pumps the OTR rigs use. It costs me a bit more, but it's worth it for the ease of fueling up and not worrying about the trailer. I try to not fill up with the trailer hitched up though.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #9

A lot of convenience stores and even WaWa, Sheetz, Racetrack, Circle K, etc. most of the time have the pumps facing the wrong way for trucks towing a trailer to get in and out easy. Usually the truck needs to face the store. That does not give enough room to pull out far enough and turn so the trailer does not take the pump with it.

One time I saw I had room. I pulled in and filled up but while I was pumping diesel a car parked at the store and I was blocked. Then another car pulled into the store and now I needed 2 cars to move. Finally they did and I pulled out and made a wide turn while I could.

Having an Aux fuel tank is a good idea I think to allow probably up to 1,000 miles of towing before you have to fill up.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 02:11 PM   #10

Truck stops for us when I am pulling my 5er. The combination length of trailer and truck is 55' and my trailer is 13'5" tall. It is a Cedar Creek and they are tall. So, I use truck stops and follow what the truckers do, fill-up and pull forward, than go in and pay.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

I'm another one that has an aux. tank in the bed of the truck and when I leave the house, I'm right at 80 gallons between the truck tank and the aux. I would much rather pull in somewhere after unhooking the trailer, and refuel then...if I need to. I hate Bio-Diesel, and try to never use it.....and all the truck stops have in most cases is fuel with some amount of it being Bio. So convenience stores a lot more often than the truck stops for me. I have absolutely Zero desire to try and navigate a CrewCab Dually Diesel pulling an almost 45' long T.H. into a convenience type store, so I go to the campground, unhook, go get fuel, and call it a day.
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 03:40 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
+1 for aux tank. I have a 60 gallon in addition to the 31 gallon factory tank, and never fill up with the trailer attached anymore. Typically save at least 20 cents a gallon vs the large stations on the Interstate access roads.
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #13

I only stop at truck stops with or without my 5th wheel. I have a 48 gal tank so I can run for awhile. I worry about old or contaminated fuel. Much less chance at a truck stops. It is easy to fuel at a truck stop truck pumps plus I can top off my def if needed. I have a flying j card so no running back and forth. I fuel while the DW walks the dogs. I park in the lot and walk in to the store if needed.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 04:55 PM   #14

I rarely use truck stops. They tend to be far more expensive, bottom tier fuel. My fifth wheel is only 38 foot total, so only height really needs to be watched much, just need to remember tail swing. I use the nav system travel link to start watching for price a little bit before I Need fuel then pull in unless there will be obvious issues. Clearance generally doesn’t become an issue except in larger cities.

Tags
diesel, fuel