Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: I want to poll how many people have installed extra Gauges on their Diesel trucks to monitor the tu
No extra gauges - never will, don't need them 18 11.61%
No extra gauges yet 30 19.35%
I have extra gauges - nice to have 8 5.16%
I have extra gauges - A necessity for towing 99 63.87%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2005, 07:03 AM   #15

Good gages will cost a little (approx $300), but needed even in a stock truck. It isn't hard to exceed the max exhaust temps.

I have installed gages in my 2 fords and helped a friend do his dodge. its easy to do, don't pay someone to do it.

There are more options than just the A-piller mount, I like the mount down by the speedo, fuel, ect...

if you haven't checked out DIS, do it now. www.dieselpage.com
they have a good site with lot of photos of different set ups.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2005, 08:44 AM   #16

Gauges cost about $300 for the 'standard' pyro, turbo and trans and may included the painted A-pilar mount. It takes about 2-3 hours to install the gauges if you take our time. They are a worth while upgrade to the truck and since they are only monitors, can't void the warranty. If in doubt, most dealers carry a gauge set that can be installed by them.

I personally believe they are necessary for towing because they will give you a window on the basic operations of the system. They will also assist in increasing fuel mileage. In the future, when you decide to add a power mod, you'll already be ahead of the game.
DNR
Old 05-22-2005, 07:11 PM   #17

I can only speak to the Chevy (duramax)
Stock, gauges are not required. But they are a good idea. Like FatDog said, they will "tell you a story" that you want to read.
Modified, gauges are a requirement. All I can say is WOW!
I have a SPA digital gauge that shows boost and EGT. A feature that I really like is that I can set it to flash at a pre determind boost and temp. Don't have to watch the gauge, I can see it flashing in the corner of my eye. It will also save the Highs, so that I can go back and see what I just did.(ooops) The gauge is in a cup that I have mounted on the dash next to the A-pilar, easy to read.
Old 05-23-2005, 05:14 AM   #18

I have the A-Pillar 3 gauge mount with pyro, boost and fuel pressure. Don't need the tranny temp with a stick. This was the first mod I ever did to my truck and will be the first mod I ever do on the next one.

Gauges do more than keep you from exceeding an operating limit. They tell you if something is operating out of normal. If driving conditions have remained constant, but you are suddenly running 200 degrees hotter, it might be a good idea to find out why before the truck breaks down and leaves you stranded. The warranty doesn't reimburse for aggravation. That's why I have a fuel pressure gauge. My lift pump is still under warranty, but I want to know it's dying before my family is stranded on the side of the road on our vacation.

If nothing else, I think an EGT gauge is needed if you tow or haul heavy or in tough conditions - even for a stock truck. Frankly, I don't know why the manufacturers don't install EGT gauges in these trucks. For me, I tow in the Rocky Mountains. You'd be surprised after running uphill to go camping how long it takes to cool the engine down to a safe shutdown temperature. Sometimes it's more than five minutes.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:49 AM   #19

We just got our diesel last week and I will add gauges. Looking at various pictures, it seems that the three gauge mount above the rear view mirror would be a good place and not increase the size of the A pillar (to have to look around). Does anyone have their gauges mounted in a pod above the rearview? Do you like it there?
Old 05-26-2005, 06:22 AM   #20

I've never seen the ones above the rear view mirror - interesting idea.

Personally, I really like the A-pillar mount. I have never felt like they distracted me at all, and the impact on the driver's field of vision is very minimal - at least it seems so to me. I have never felt the need to look around them at all. In fact, when I'm not towing, I can easily forget that they are even there. I wouldn't move my gauges anywhere else.
Old 05-26-2005, 06:53 AM   #21

Look at this websight for gauges mounted in places other than the A pillar
http://www.dieselmanor.com/gauges/gauge_kits_psd.asp
Old 05-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #22

Downhill slow towing will ruin your Ford 4R100 tranny!!! Gauges needed!

After installing a tranny temp gauge (ford 4r100) it became clear to me why my first auto tranny failed, and why I almost destroyed my second tranny! My first tranny failed at only 10,000 miles. I figured just bad luck. Ford installed a rebuild at no charge to me. I installed a tranny gauge in this second 4r100.

On a trip, going downhill, trailer in tow, in second gear(automatic) at about 15-20 miles/hour and with the exhaust brake on, all seemed well at first.

I had perfect control on this very steep, narrow, windy, no pullouts, Colorado back road, 10 mile long
shortcut. Just easin' on down the mountain. Seemed like a great setup.

Hah! Guess what! Tranny guage started to climb rapidly. At 210deg I was getting worried. At 230deg I knew I was in trouble. Then it went nuts, passing 250 deg and pegging beyond the numbers. It did this all within less than 1/2 mile!! (There was no place to pull over).

Anyway,after about another mile, finally got pulled over. The tranny smelled real bad. Got the oil (Mobil 1 syn) changed. Had an analysis done by blackstone labs on the burned oil. Conclusion "lots of carbon chunks but no metal, oil is ruined". I'm knocking on wood that the tranny will continue to survive.

That's also how I ruined the first tranny with no guages. DOWNHILL slow towing under 30 mph. Having a guage clued me in that I was just about to burn up my second tranny.

The torque converter unlocks under about 30 mph on these ford 4r100's, and this unlocked condition causes a RAPID rise in tranny fluid temps. Same condition as backing up a trailer. The torque converter is unlocked.

This is surely a design flaw and the only way to manage it is to use a tranny guage. Seems to only be a problem when towing a heavy load. Good Luck, watch those gauges and keep your power stroke above 30 mph
Old 12-11-2005, 09:57 PM   #23

I don't have a diesal MH just a Fod V-10. Bought it last summer and will be installing trany, diff, temp gauges, vaccuum guage and a house battery volt meter. I looked over this site and will custom build a mount for above the mirror. I always installed extra gauges in my vehicles since 1973 and saved the bacon several times. The manufactures need to install more gauges and tachs instead of idiot lights.

Forbes VE6FMP
VE6FMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 03:22 AM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick A
I have gauges on my stock '99 F-350. The only story they have told me is that every thing is fine. I don't regret spending the money though, and would do it again. It is nice insurance in the event something does go wrong, you will know a lot sooner and avoid much more serious damage. I got my 3 gauge A-Pillar set from Dieselmanor. It included everything needed to install with excellent directions and only took me about 2 hours to install. I am not the most mechanically inclined, so I would say your average truck owner should be able to install themselves.