Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-19-2014, 06:41 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have not towed anything since end of July. It's my daily driver for a 5 mile commute and a grocery getter. Perhaps a drive to the beach on the weekend. No issues. When you spend this kind of money for a truck, it better be able to do what you want and when you want. It will be towing again soon. I have not used 2 gal of DEF in 6 months, again no issues. Even if I was never going to tow again I would keep the truck, I get 21 mpg highway unloaded.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 06:55 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I have not towed anything since end of July. It's my daily driver for a 5 mile commute and a grocery getter. Perhaps a drive to the beach on the weekend. No issues. When you spend this kind of money for a truck, it better be able to do what you want and when you want. It will be towing again soon. I have not used 2 gal of DEF in 6 months, again no issues. Even if I was never going to tow again I would keep the truck, I get 21 mpg highway unloaded.

It's true, these new trucks are getting excellent fuel mileage, but your not doing that engine, or the batteries any good on those short trips. Glad it's working out for you though.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #45

I've been doing the same as Hwy 4x4 for 24,000 miles and 30 months. Zero issues and I don't have DEF on my 12 CTD. In fact there's times when I don't even go 5 miles in one day. Maybe 3 miles total. Only thing I've read in the manual is no excessive idling. Which I never do. I've been reading on the CTD forum for 30 months and have never read of anyone having an issue with what 4x4 and myself do. It's the guys that idle excessively or put a tuner on it that are the ones that have issues. I have yet to read in the manual that I'm not allowed to get groceries with it.
This is not to say I won't have an issue at 40-60,000 miles, but that's what the warranties for.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #46

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree that these trucks will tow all day, every day. But no one should fear buying a diesel because they need it to also be the DD. It would be like not buying a Viper because they need to run at 100MPH. Keeping away from mods on the new ones seems to be a better way to go but there are many that can't wait to make it better than it was built and that may be true for some a few years old. But the 13+ Rams just don't seem to like mods under the hood.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #47

In 55K I only have 1,518 engine hours on my 11 HO RAM Dually. That means I have averaged just over 36mph anytime the engine has been running. I rarely Idle, I do short trips and I tow for long distances and never had it tell me to keep driving to re-gen. Actually one time I was towing for at least two hours and the EVIC said to keep driving to clean system. That made no sense so I dropped a gear and hammered it and the notice went away. I had been towing from NW WA and was near Bakersfield at the time. I think it was a fluke the truck probably had 5-10K on it and never has done it since.
Old 12-20-2014, 04:32 PM   #48

Have only driven it three times so far, but was pleased to see the onboard reading showing 17.3 after I filled it up and drove a few highway miles at 65 or so.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #49

The new Ram's (at least the 2014's) do and will have problems with emission related cel's if you idle a lot, like when your hunting, and driving real slow. Just go to the Cummins forum and read all about it. The folks that are using their trucks for road hunting and stuff like that Are having problems.

Ideally the engine should be warmed up to 140F before you put any kind of load on it. It prevents corrosive condensation inside the engine for 1 thing. Do most of us do that? Probably don't. I try to, but rarely can you get a diesel to warm up to 140 f just idling. So I drive slow the 1st couple of miles.

After you start any pickup or car it takes 7 miles or so to put the battery back to a full charge. If you repeatedly make short trips, it will effect your battery or batteries eventually. Since you have 2 batteries on the Cummins it probably will take longer to discharge the batteries to a level that will be harmful, but it will do it in time.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about anymore, and I'm glad nobody on this forum has had a problem especially while towing, but after 37 years as a Diesel technician I kinda think that I do know a little bit.

Bottom line is, if it's working for you then that its just marvelous. I wouldn't do it any other way than what your doing now. As for me I will continue to do it my way, the way I was taught in about 30 different clases, and schools, and also by the Cummins factory school.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:43 PM   #50

Jammer,

In your signature the "six burning four turning", is that a transposition of the old B-36 Peacemaker saying of Six Turning, Four Burning referencing the six radials driving propellers inboard and the four jets outboard?
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:13 PM   #51

Actually making a ref to my pickup. 6 cylinder engine, 4 wheel drive. I got this saying from the Icebreaker I was on. The door leading to main control, (the room where all the machinery was monitered) had a painting that showed 3 propellers out the back of our ship, and the words 6 burning(6 3750 hp alco diesels), and three turning ( three props).
Old 12-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #52

I have a 2007.5 new body chevy 3500 HD DULLY duramax with a 6 speed Alison. And I get about 12 avg. Unloaded and about 10 with a 25 ft trailer. But I have read it will get alot better when I delete the DPF system. But I have to wait for my extended warranty to expire.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:07 PM   #53

I don't know about Ram growing pains with Fiat. What l do know is that l have owned Cummims powered pickups since my first one in 94 also an 06 and now a 14. They have all been great engines. My son is still driving the 94. They are in line six cylinder just like the 15 liter motors they build. That is all they build . All thier R and D go into building better motors Thier warrenty is as good as gold.

. Fiat has poured a ton of money into Ram and it shows thier fit and finish is second to none and l will be the first to admit it hasn't always been that way.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I don't know about Ram growing pains with Fiat. What l do know is that l have owned Cummims powered pickups since my first one in 94 also an 06 and now a 14. They have all been great engines. My son is still driving the 94. They are in line six cylinder just like the 15 liter motors they build. That is all they build . All thier R and D go into building better motors Thier warrenty is as good as gold.

. Fiat has poured a ton of money into Ram and it shows thier fit and finish is second to none and l will be the first to admit it hasn't always been that way.
Agreed!

Also the Cummins is a true medium duty engine and the Aisin is also medium duty.

FYI the Allison that is in the GM twins is not the same as the Allison that is behind the 6.7 Cummins in the F650/750 medium duty trucks.
Old 12-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Yep, I know. I'm the second owner and my dealer wouldn't dig in the OAISIS file history when purchased. I suspect that it was done, and since you reminded me (forgot at the last couple of services) I will again ask when it goes in next for oil and filters.
after asking nicely the first time to see if the update was done and the dealer not wanting to dig around in the OAISIS file, the second time i ask it would be a bit more forcible.

As in " I bought this truck and i expect customer service when i ask for it.. period. " so check the file and see if the update was done and provide me a print out of all service preformed on this vehicle.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #56

With a diesel engine and a heavy 5th wheel trailer that produces more air drag than any other RV you mileage will not be stellar. Without the trailer attached plan on 15 MPG and with it attached a good guess is an average of 10 MPG. You may do better at time and you will also do worse as when gaining elevation or when it is windy or if you drive at speeds over 60 MPH. Definitely worth the cost to get either a replacement fuel tank from Titan or one of the in the bed auxiliary fuel tanks to improve your range. It is worth the piece of mind. A trailer is good for people who plan to stay in one place for extended periods of time. For those who plan to be at one place a few days and then move on a motorhome with a small car in tow will be more economical are provide greater flexibility if the motorhome is a class C or B+ type.

Tags
diesel