Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 12:57 PM   #1

Diesel versus gas in a pick up

Let's say you have a budget of 45000 to spend on both a pickup and a 5th wheel.
Assuming the the diesel pick up will cost more then the gasser .
The 5th wheel will be used for full timing.
Would you consider buying the gasser and putting more money on three 5th Wheel
M
michael huot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #2

For full time you will probably want a larger unit than a gasser can comfortably pull. I wouldn't even consider anything but diesel. JMO

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:41 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael huot View Post
The 5th wheel will be used for full timing.
Would you consider buying the gasser and putting more money on three 5th Wheel
No.

To stay within your budget, you have to look at elderly pickups and trailers. And realize that when you change locations, you must haul everything you own with you. So assuming you need a 4-sesons RV, you're going to have to do some serious shopping to get a dependable diesel-powered tow vehicle with dual rear wheels (DRW) and a quality 4-seasons RV trailer and stay within your budget.

If you can plan to stay away from the cold country in the wintertime, then you can get by with the more common (and less expensive) 3-seasons RV trailer.

For the tow vehicle, you need a dually because fill-timers never travel light. You need a diesel because they last about twice as long as a gasser, and have plenty of power to tow a big trailer cross the country. I would look for diesel dually with out-the-door total price of less about $25,000.

For the trailer, consider a toy hauler. Not for hauling toys, but for hauling all your stuff when you move. When parked, convert the garage into a nice living or rec area, with office space for your internet machine. When moving, stack packed-up boxes to the ceiling in the garage area. Then weigh the rig and be sure you don't exceed the combined GAWR of the trailer or the rear GAWR of the dually. Know exactly how much wiggle room you have for hauling more weight. Then manage your weight so you don't overload either the trailer or tow vehicle.

Example: NADAGuides RV "blue book" says you can buy a 2007 Keystone Fusion 39' toy hauler for around $20,000. Yeah, it's 10 years old, but that's about what you can expect for a $20,000 39' toy hauler.

KBB.com says you can buy a 2010 Ram 4x2 CrewCab SLT diesel dually for a "fair market price" around $26,000. Back off a year, or to the 2010 SL trim instead of the fancier SLT and there's your tow vehicle for around $25,000.

I prefer a Ford F-350 DRW as a tow vehicle for that 18,000-pound trailer, but the first recent year with a reliable diesel engine was 2011, and the 2011 F-350 DRW CrewCab will probably cost you more than your $25k budget.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM   #4

Frankly, I wouldn't pull anything the size of a 5th wheel with a gasser. Also, the older diesels don't have the hauling capability of the current models. I also would worry about buying older trailers and trucks because of the increased possibility for a break down.

If nothing else, consider the rubber roofs on our trailers; they don't last forever. My roof warranty was for eight years, as I recall. Replacing a rubber roof is danged expensive - in the thousands of dollars.

I'm thinking you may want to increase your budget a little and get newer equipment, especially for full-timing.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:03 PM   #5

Thanks for the input.
I have my eye on an 06 ram 3500 with just over 155k or 90000 miles has crew can 4x4 xlt cummins
Short box but I can install hitch to compensate . I'm pretty sure I can get for around 12k.
Tks for the idea of the toy hauler but if we have enough that much stuff.......[emoji35] .
Old 02-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Frankly, I wouldn't pull anything the size of a 5th wheel with a gasser. Also, the older diesels don't have the hauling capability of the current models. I also would worry about buying older trailers and trucks because of the increased possibility for a break down.

If nothing else, consider the rubber roofs on our trailers; they don't last forever. My roof warranty was for eight years, as I recall. Replacing a rubber roof is danged expensive - in the thousands of dollars.

I'm thinking you may want to increase your budget a little and get newer equipment, especially for full-timing.
Tks
Old 02-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
You don't "replace" a well-maintained rubber roof. You maintain it. Maintain means every 5 years or so to remove all the old white coating (protectorant) that covers the black rubber. Use products designed specifically for cleaning and preparing the rubber roof for new coating. Then use special caulk designed for rubber roofs to seal every possible place that might leak in the future. If your EDPM rubber has any holes in fit, then you'll need EDPM patching material to seal it up tight. Let it all dry per instructions on the products, then apply the new white coating (protectant).

I did that on my old 5er a few years ago, and found all the products for maintaining and recoating a rubber roof at Lowes or Home Depot. The products are not cheap, but I spent only a few hundred dollars, not thousands of dollars.

Of course mine was a DIY project. Nothing complicated or too-hard work for an old man, but no fun either. My RV store would have been happy to do the work for a few hundred dollars in labor costs. My 5er was 25' long, so a 39' 5er would be a lot more work, but no more complicated, and the products would be the same but just more gallons of cleaner and coating.

Now my TT is about 5 years old and it's time to maintain the roof on it. I don't look forward to the project, but it's something an old man can get done with a bit of encouragement from DW.

Most "rubber" roofs are EDPM rubber. Here's a link to get you started on your quest for knowledge with the two main EDPM maintenance products of Dicor Corp.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...oating-system/
EPDM Acrylic Rubber Roof Coating Cleaner/Activator - Part 1 of EPDM Roof Coating System

https://dicorproducts.com/product/ep...oating-system/
EPDM Roof Acrylic Coating - Part 2 of EPDM Roof Coating System

Look up those products on Amazon or Home Depot or Lowe's to get buying prices and more detail.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks for the input.
I have my eye on an 06 ram 3500 with just over 155k or 90000 miles has crew can 4x4 xlt cummins
Short box but I can install hitch to compensate . I'm pretty sure I can get for around 12k.
Tks for the idea of the toy hauler but if we have enough that much stuff.......[emoji35] .
That's a good price for that mileage. 06 was a good year. Not much in the way of pollution equipment, and pulls good. The tranny was the weak spot but a couple grand can put it back in order if and when it goes south. Most of them came with the 3:73 rear end which has good power and helps fuel mileage. 07 through 12 or 13 were not as good.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:17 PM   #9

My 5er in sig is 20 years old now and has never had any thing put on i the roof. I've washed it twice in all these years and do a twice a year sealant maintenance schedule myself.

Gas vs diesel. Apples vs oranges
Depends on how much weight your wanting to pull. However if your full timing I would go with a diesel and get the size trailer you want.
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #10

We have 2007 Dodge RAM 3500 SRW with 5.9L CTD 48re auto and 4:10 gear
Towed a 14K 34' 5th wheel FT for 7 yrs.

Good match/ great combo/easy towing.......

Gasser is for getting groceries
Diesel is for hauling/towing ----

For your $45K budget you will need to stay in the 2007 and prior years for diesel trucks and 5th wheel (purchase price, taxes, registrations etc)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Thanks for the input.
Really a 2006 Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins for under $20,000 I would buy that in a heart beat! Here is a 2004 Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins and has 249,000 miles on the truck for $19,199. See attached link: https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...99-San-Antonio
Old 02-25-2017, 12:04 PM   #12

It also depends a lot of how far and often you are moving. When full timing, are you just going to drive to a destination and stay there? If so, maybe the gasser would be okay. If you are looking to be on the road a lot I think the diesel is the way to go. As the others have said, you aren't going to be happy pulling a full time capable (heavy) 5th wheel with a gas truck.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Really a 2006 Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins for under $20,000 I would buy that in a heart beat! Here is a 2004 Dodge with a 5.9L Cummins and has 249,000 miles on the truck for $19,199. See attached link: https://www.turbodieselregister.com/...99-San-Antonio
Actually the guy who owns doesn't know he is selling it to me. I work with him everyday and I know he's eyeing my 07 Honda Accord.
That's a beauty of truck you sent . Isn't nice to see a diesel that hasn't been lifted !
M
Old 02-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #14

Dont let gas engines scare you. I have an 8.1L GMC C4500 Topkick. Chevrolet Kodiak but GMC version. I haul a 40ft Newmar Kountry Aire. Full time 4 season unit. My truck has no issue at all with 6sp allison etc. The 6 speed allison helps things so much. Plenty of power to climb Mount Eagle in TN and the Smokies. My last gas powered 3500 series had 561k on the clock and it was original engine etc. Maintenance and good care will last you a long time. When i upgraded to the newmar needed more truck.
My opinion for the extra 15k a diesel would have cost in the same truck. I can buy lots of gas and travel quite a bit on that money.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas