Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2011, 09:59 AM   #15

Even though it's often repeated I don't see the diesel option as being significantly more expensive in any way, at least from a mid-to-long term perspective. Historically (meaning in spite of recent and almost certainly temporary conditions) diesel and gasoline fuel prices are similar and when this is the case (and even when it isn't) diesel has a huge fuel efficiency advantage, and the 'increased' maintenace costs of the diesel engine typical of most 3/4 or 1-ton pickup trucks consists of an extra two gallons of oil at changes and a fuel filter every now and then. If you follow manufacturer's service recomendations these extra costs are pretty insignificant, plus no tune-ups and other costs associated with gasoline engines. That leaves only initial cost and as Rusty correctly pointed out you can get most of that back at resale. Add to all that the much longer service life and the way I see it for anything other than light use the diesel may be the cheaper option in the long run.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #16

Here are some real costs from a recent trip in my 450:
Miles-----4268
Fuel-----580.8
Cost---$2101.75
Avg per gal--$3.75
Avg mpg--7.6
Now, I admit I was running those Michelins slightly above the 62mph limit, and there were a LOT of headwinds going west. Truck/trailer weigh 27400.
The highest differential between gas/diesel was in Albuquerque, where I could have gotten unleaded reg at $2.74 and did get diesel at $3.80--but normally, the difference was +/- $0.75/gal. Lowest I paid for diesel was $3.68 in Vegas.
Had I been able to do the same with a gas truck (rare to have one that can pull the weight) and assume 7mpg (???) the fuel needed would have been 610 gal at about $3.09 (?) for a cost of $1884.90 or $216.85 less.

Your call which way is better.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #17

I would say 7 would be unattainable with a gasser at 27.4k.
Again with a ford 2010 F350 srw v-10 I was getting 7-8. In my 2011 F350 DRW diesel 10-10.25, same trailer.... and I am moving a bit faster (holding the speed limit versus up to 10 under).
Old 12-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #18

I WAS being a little generous saying 7mpg with a V10 and 27000lbs...don't think there are any other gas engines I would even try.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:28 PM   #19

Thanks everyone for the replies, I know this question is very hard to answer and that I ultimately will have to make the decision. I had an 03 Dodge 2500 4x4 w/cummins that I absolutely loved, it pulled this trailer (12,500 GVWR) well but not perfect (it had the CA Cummins, 235 HP), I traded it for an 07 2500 4x2 w/6.7 that pulled it better, had the integrated exhaust brake (loved that), moved to Montana, got about 7 mpg avg pulling my trailer here. Realized that the 2 wheel drive wasn't going to cut it so I traded it on an 05 F350 SRW 4x4 w/6.0 Powerstroke. This truck has not been reliable, fortunately I had some warranty left and all my repairs were covered but the warranty expired 10/31/11 so everything from now on is on me. I bought the Ford simply because Ford did not take the bailout money and even though Dodge and Chev did they seemed to raise their prices, so couldn't afford one of them. I am still upside down in this rig, hopefully by next summer I'll be able to break even on it. I'm thinking of going back to the 03-06 Dodge which I regret getting rid of in the first place and now that diesel fuel prices have shot up in the last week or so, I'm considering going with gas. I don't use my trailer nearly as much as I want to, mainly due to fuel costs. I went on a good trip last year and avg. 7 mpg, I only get 15 mpg empty, my first dodge got about 14 mpg towing this same trailer and sometimes 22 mpg empty. I love the diesel power but am trying to justify the costs. Thanks and sorry for rambling on. Coach
coach73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:44 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Even though it's often repeated I don't see the diesel option as being significantly more expensive in any way, at least from a mid-to-long term perspective. Historically (meaning in spite of recent and almost certainly temporary conditions) diesel and gasoline fuel prices are similar and when this is the case (and even when it isn't) diesel has a huge fuel efficiency advantage, and the 'increased' maintenace costs of the diesel engine typical of most 3/4 or 1-ton pickup trucks consists of an extra two gallons of oil at changes and a fuel filter every now and then. If you follow manufacturer's service recomendations these extra costs are pretty insignificant, plus no tune-ups and other costs associated with gasoline engines. That leaves only initial cost and as Rusty correctly pointed out you can get most of that back at resale. Add to all that the much longer service life and the way I see it for anything other than light use the diesel may be the cheaper option in the long run.
a diesel for towing heavy loads is a no brainer. Though operating costs are significant over a diesel. My company has a fleet of pickups... gass to diesel. Guess which ones cost more to run? Spread sheets dont lie.
Just some FYI... fueling alone on the diesels was a cool 40% higher this year.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 AM   #21

Quote:
gass to diesel. Guess which ones cost more to run? Spread sheets dont lie.
I will guess the gas trucks cost more to maintain. Did I guess correctly?
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
For me it's not just about the fuel cost. I towed with a gas motored dually Chevy for years, then bought my Dodge with the Cummins. Funny how the hills got flatter and my ears don't ring after driving all day.

As for diesel engine longevity, there's no comparison.

A friend of mine owns a small carpet business. He drives unbelievable miles every year. Two of his Chevies have been converted over to Cummins power. One has over 400K and the other over 600K and both run like new.

Even his 01 Ford Powerstroke diesel has over 400K and still runs good.

With my Chevy I got about 80K out my motors before needing replacement.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #23

I have the 05 F250 and its been a great performer. Never under 20MPG unloaded and average over 12.6 MPG towing my 15500GVW trailer. You have the best truck till you move up to 2011/12 after the initial problems have been ironed out. The 6,0 Ford is being discussed on the Ford sites as being the last good diesel available on the market.
The Ford enthusiast have found and resolved the extensif repairs that Ford has been doing and we are now driving very reliable trucks.
I have mine programed and protected by the Hypertech Max Energy and have the ScangaugII as my 6.0L Ford watchdog and nothing and absolutly nothing is left to guess work..
My maintenance has been cheap, much cheaper then on a wimpy Gas truck, and very dependable to tow the trailer we live in.

We are following the International maintenance requirements and our 6.0'S are very dependable. We have found that the further away you stay from the Ford maintenace departments the more dependable the 6.0L's will be.

I would never buy a new Gas truck. I would rather buy a beat up diesel well used. Because they retain their value untill the last day on the road.

Tags
diesel, gas