Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #1

Diesel vs. Gas

Ok diesel prices hit $4.48/gallon, gas is $3.60. I have an 05 F350 with 6.0 diesel getting about 15 mpg empty and 7-9 mpg towing. I'm planning on getting ready to get rid of this truck anyway because it is unreliable. I was thinking of going back to the Cummins Diesel but with fuel prices the way they are I'm seriously thinking of gas. Anyone pulling a 33' fiver with a gasser without problems? Thanks. Coach.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Once you've pulled with a diesel, you won't like a gasser. Quiet power vs screaming at 4,500 RPM, and lousy MPG.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach73 View Post
I was thinking of going back to the Cummins Diesel but with fuel prices the way they are I'm seriously thinking of gas.
The current difference in price between gas and diesel is very unusual and likely won't last. I wouldn't make any buying decisions based on it.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #4

I have used both and as long as I can afford it, Diesel. If money is tight or you don't travel a lot, long distances, or over mountains Gas is a good option.
Just my opinion.
Windecker
Old 12-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

The V10 screaming for torque wakes me up.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #6

Had a 2010 v-10 moved to a 2011 6.7. Fuel mileage went from 11 back and forth to work to 14.2 and 7 towing to 10.25. Towing the below listed with both.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:03 PM   #7

Gasoline powered trucks have a reduced towing capacity. Make sure any prospective truck is rated to safely tow your 5er fully loaded, ie: trailer GVW. If you are a weekender only, a gas engine may be OK. Can't speak to engine longevity though. The apparent top gas engine this year seems to be the Ford ecoboost V6. It has more torque than the Ford V8.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 05:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The current difference in price between gas and diesel is very unusual and likely won't last. I wouldn't make any buying decisions based on it.
interesting. I was under the impression diesel is more expensive due to ultra low sulfur and thats never going to change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Gas. The apparent top gas engine this year seems to be the Ford ecoboost V6. It has more torque than the Ford V8.
too bad they wont put it in anything but a 150 chassis.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #9

Diesel is more expensive but also more efficient. The price difference right now between gas and diesel, I am paying about the same for fuel as I was when I had the v-10. And still have about a 25% increase on my mileage while towing.
Keep in mind the consumables are higher on a diesel. Fuel filters, air filters, DEF, routine maintenance are all going to cost more. You do not buy a diesel for cost effectiveness you buy it because you love diesel or you want or need the pulling power the engine gives you.
In my case it is a more relaxed ride and I find myself letting off the pedal more than pushing on the pedal like I use to, but I am also towing 13k in the hills of PA. I told DW the v-10 would have worked for us if we were somewhere it was flat.
(We bought the truck and then the TH..... I know I know)
I am wondering if the Ecoboost is a production thing or a prove the engine before looking into offering it in the Super Duty.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #10

I have never owned a pickup. Jeeps and motorhomes only. Have a friend looking for a bigger truck as he intends to buy a 5fth. We were talking gas vs diesel and mpgs but I was wondering: What about stopping/braking with a diesel vs gas. Won't the diesel trucks stop or slow down easier? I think that whould be an important consideration as well...
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
interesting. I was under the impression diesel is more expensive due to ultra low sulfur and thats never going to change
The change to ULSD adds a few cents per gallon but that is far from the sole reason for the current price difference between gasoline and diesel, which has mainly to do with demand predicted by the refiners and the resulting supply. Gasoline stockpiles are currently high due to less-than-anticipated demand and that lowers the price, meaning that at current $100/barrel crude prices it isn't diesel that is artificially high but gasoline low. Sadly you will eventually see the price of gasoline rise to match diesel, not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
You do not buy a diesel for cost effectiveness you buy it because you love diesel or you want or need the pulling power the engine gives you.
Well you don't buy a diesel for short-term cost effectiveness, but since in heavy-duty applications a diesel engine will usually have many times the life of a gas engine it is definitely more cost-effective over time. The extra cost of a diesel powerplant is a lot less than a couple of gasoline engine rebuilds/replacements.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
The extra cost of a diesel powerplant is a lot less than a couple of gasoline engine rebuilds/replacements.
Also, here in Texas at least, you can't GIVE a gasoline-powered HD pickup away at resale time. The difference in initial purchase price of the diesel is recouped at the time of trade or resale.

Towing the same 5th wheel, I moved from a 1996 Dodge 3500 dually with the 8.0L V-10 gasser to a 2002 Dodge 3500 dually with the 5.9L Cummins HO diesel. Fuel mileage went from 6.5 MPG with the V-10 to 12 MPG with the Cummins. With that difference, I could pay almost twice as much for diesel and still break even on fuel cost and still have the enhanced towing performance and higher manufacturer's GCWR rating (and resultant towing capability) inherent with the Cummins.

I've had both, and my signature indicates which way I went when we purchased the new truck last year.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach73 View Post
Ok diesel prices hit $4.48/gallon, gas is $3.60. I have an 05 F350 with 6.0 diesel getting about 15 mpg empty and 7-9 mpg towing. I'm planning on getting ready to get rid of this truck anyway because it is unreliable. I was thinking of going back to the Cummins Diesel but with fuel prices the way they are I'm seriously thinking of gas. Anyone pulling a 33' fiver with a gasser without problems? Thanks. Coach.
It is not so much the length as it is the weight of the 5er. You could have a 4 seasons 5er that is 33' long and weight in the 2800 LBS or more pin weight. This will put you in a 3500HD DRW truck.

Now with that being said I have towed with both a gasser and a diesel truck using the same 5er. With my 2001, 2500HD 6.0L (gas) Chevy I was getting 6 to 7 miles to the gallon. With my 2008, 2500HD 6.7L (diesel) Dodge I am getting 11 to 12 MPG when towing.
Another issue with a gas truck is trying to fill up the gas vehicle with the 5er attached. Most gas station do not have enough room for both the TV and trailer to maneuver when filling up. I know donít ask. This includes canopy height and where the gas pump islands are place in relation to the store. With diesel fuel I use the truck islands and have no issues at all when filling up.

Would I buy a new diesel truck again. Yes, in fact we just bought a 2011 VW Jetta TDI which gets 36 MPG combined city/highway mileage for my wife.

Jim W.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #14

I have towed about everything from a pop up to a 5th wheel and can attest that diesel pulls much better....Having said that you can see from my signature that I have moved to a gasser (from a trouble free 2004 F350 diesel) and a smaller TT (from a 31 ft 5R) ....not an easy choice however last year our towing was much reduced (about 2000 miles total) and the local driving increased. The boss and I compromised with the smaller trailer given that we cannot be away for extended periods any more but still want to be able to camp ......maybe even a few weeks in west Tx and Az this winter...sooo I ordered the smaller truck (4 feet shorter and much more parking lot friendly) but with the eco boost and max tow. From experience I can say that the fuel usage when towing is on average 25% higher in the eco boost than the 6.0. About 120,000 kms of the diesel were towing and about 80,000 empty driving and over the 7 years I had it diesel averaged about the same as gas (I said average as it varied depending on season and location ie lately it has been about $.40 less than gas here at home). The new truck will most likely be used to tow 20% of the time if that and the remainder of the time I will get reasonable fuel economy with regular maintenance costs about 1/2 what they were for the diesel. The remarkable thing about this small 6 with turbos is that it pulls like my old diesel (actually better at the low end as the 6.0's like to rev to develop the torque).
The upshot is that if you plan to tow heavy and frequently the diesel is the answer....not cheap to buy, drive, or maintain but certainly up to the task. My guess is that a 33 ft 5R is way too heavy for anything with an ecoboost (mine is rated to tow 11,300 lb but I think that is a bit on the heavy side) and from what I hear , the big block 8's and 10's will use a lot of fuel however you drive them.
Maybe a smaller trailer could be the answer?? Easy for us old couples but often not an option for larger families and full-timers. No magic bullet I'm afraid!
Ian

Tags
diesel, gas