Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2018, 07:33 PM   #43

This is from the DRV website:

"Goodyear® 17 1/2" H-Rated Re-Groovable Tires"

These are NOT truck tires...Goodyear G-114 ST tires.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
This is from the DRV website:

"Goodyear® 17 1/2" H-Rated Re-Groovable Tires"

Tell them that then, its on their web site. "We use truck tires, not rv tires". Thats an exact quote from their page.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 05:20 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Some of those things are going to be variable. I dont know about def shelf life i only get mine from pumps, its way cheaper and i can just attach it to my company fuel card. 6 something a gallon vs like high 2s.

Im pretty sure ive seen egrs up around 1200 from around 700 when not in regen.

If your system isnt just right ive had filters clog in a few days.

My basic understanding is this, the exhaust has sensers before amd after the dpf to tell when its to the point of needing burned off. At this point the turbo will load up and get the egrs up really hot. At this point there is an "injector" or "doser" ahead of the dpf in the exhaust that injects the def into the pipe and essentially steam cleans the filter. The soot is all just super burned and passed out the exhaust as a finer particle. Thats the basic process to my knowledge.

There are older systems that i believe use diesel in place of def, not 100% on that. I do know the def injector can be problematic, it can either leak all the time or it can crystallize and wont have a good spray pattern and you wont get a good burn.
You are on the right track, just a few things not quite right.

When the DPF (diesel particulate filter) reaches a predetermined point, it goes into regen to burn off the soot it has collected, fuel is injected into the exhaust stream to facilitate that burn off. Unfortunately, the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) unit causes more than should be exhaust soot to develop which is the main reason the DPF unit is needed since EGR was introduced onto these newer engines.

Now, DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is injected into the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) unit to break down nitrous oxides into harmless nitrogen and oxygen. It is a process that goes on almost continuously during engine operation. DEF can freeze when the vehicle is shut off. When the vehicle is started, an increased level of EGR is used to reduce NOx until the DEF is unfrozen and available. Also, for DEF to vaporize in the SCR unit and be effective in breaking down NOx, the engine has to be up to operating temperature. Until then, EGR recirculates the engines feces right back into the cylinders to reduce NOx. Both of these could have easily been eliminated if the OEM would have used a system that has been available which introduces urea ammonia in a gaseous form into the exhaust stream and eliminated the need for EGR and the owner to purchase liquid DEF and eliminated the injector, thereby making the system more efficient and bullet proof.

The main weak point in all this is the EGR. It requires a cooler to cool the exhaust before it is injected back in to the engine. By introducing the exhaust back into the engine, oxygen is reduced in the cylinder and therefore not all the fuel is burned in combustion and that creates a higher level of soot, thereby requiring a DPF unit to collect that soot. The most effective solution to reducing problems with these emissions control systems is to have the EGR "shut off" via software in the ECM. That one simple thing will greatly reduce issue with the downstream emissions stuff later on. And since the engine cooling system is not having to cool exhaust gases, a lot of strain is taken off the cooling system and the engine will not get nearly as hot when worked hard. And far less soot is generated by shutting off the EGR so that the need for regens of the DPF to clean it out are greatly reduced which extends its life tremendously.

Also, frequent short trips where the entire system is not brought up to full operating temperatures for more than a few minutes can lead to many problems with these emissions systems. Let's face it, the whole thing is a patchwork mess of different things trying to address the emissions problem. There are far more efficient systems from companies like Amminex that the OEM's could have used that would greatly simplify this stuff and greatly reduce problems and make most of this totally transparent to the vehicle owner.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:46 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpie1 View Post
You are on the right track, just a few things not quite right.

When the DPF (diesel particulate filter) reaches a predetermined point, it goes into regen to burn off the soot it has collected, fuel is injected into the exhaust stream to facilitate that burn off. Unfortunately, the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) unit causes more than should be exhaust soot to develop which is the main reason the DPF unit is needed since EGR was introduced onto these newer engines.

Now, DEF (diesel exhaust fluid) is injected into the SCR (selective catalytic reduction) unit to break down nitrous oxides into harmless nitrogen and oxygen. It is a process that goes on almost continuously during engine operation. DEF can freeze when the vehicle is shut off. When the vehicle is started, an increased level of EGR is used to reduce NOx until the DEF is unfrozen and available. Also, for DEF to vaporize in the SCR unit and be effective in breaking down NOx, the engine has to be up to operating temperature. Until then, EGR recirculates the engines feces right back into the cylinders to reduce NOx. Both of these could have easily been eliminated if the OEM would have used a system that has been available which introduces urea ammonia in a gaseous form into the exhaust stream and eliminated the need for EGR and the owner to purchase liquid DEF and eliminated the injector, thereby making the system more efficient and bullet proof.

The main weak point in all this is the EGR. It requires a cooler to cool the exhaust before it is injected back in to the engine. By introducing the exhaust back into the engine, oxygen is reduced in the cylinder and therefore not all the fuel is burned in combustion and that creates a higher level of soot, thereby requiring a DPF unit to collect that soot. The most effective solution to reducing problems with these emissions control systems is to have the EGR "shut off" via software in the ECM. That one simple thing will greatly reduce issue with the downstream emissions stuff later on. And since the engine cooling system is not having to cool exhaust gases, a lot of strain is taken off the cooling system and the engine will not get nearly as hot when worked hard. And far less soot is generated by shutting off the EGR so that the need for regens of the DPF to clean it out are greatly reduced which extends its life tremendously.

Also, frequent short trips where the entire system is not brought up to full operating temperatures for more than a few minutes can lead to many problems with these emissions systems. Let's face it, the whole thing is a patchwork mess of different things trying to address the emissions problem. There are far more efficient systems from companies like Amminex that the OEM's could have used that would greatly simplify this stuff and greatly reduce problems and make most of this totally transparent to the vehicle owner.
Thanks for the clarification. Im no expert on it by any means but ive had enough issues out of it to know more than most people probably would. I know for sure its a pain in the arse.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Whatever they advertise on their website.
The Only thing they advertise on the DRV Mobile Suites websiteis "Goodyear® 17 1/2" H-Rated Re-Groovable Tires".

The only Goodyear tire I can find that meets those specs is the G-114 LHT. The G-114 is not an LT tire, and it's not as ST tire. It is a commercial trailer tire in size 215/75R17.5H or 10R17.5.
https://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/t...rodline=160807

I spent over an hour searching the lousy Goodyear websites for a GoodYear LT or all-position or steer-trailer position truck tire in 17.5H size. There are no 17.5" LT tires on the regular Goodyear website, or at least the search engine will not allow you to search for a 17.5" tire. https://www.goodyear.com/ The only one is the G-114 LHT on the Goodyear truck tires website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60
..."Goodyear® 17 1/2" H-Rated Re-Groovable Tires"

No, they are not marked as ST tires either. They are simply commercial trailer tires with a 75 MPH speed rating. However, since they can be mounted only on a trailer, they are the same as ST tires.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #48

If i could figure out how to screenshot amd post it i would, youre trying to argue with the wrong person here. As far as trailer tires vs truck tires, if it meets the load requirements ill run it on a trailer. If it doesnt i wont.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 PM   #49

Jshopes81,
You are absolutely correct, they do state that in one part of the brochure. I could only find the video at first stating the brand and size. Sorry that I jumped on it.
And, yes, you are also correct with your running any tire on your trailer that meets the load.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #50

No biggie. Cant just allow wrong information to be spread around. The tire theyre using is sort of a trailer only tire. Something like industrial rated i think i read. Im not sure and dont have time to look right now. Hows the weather in texas this time of year? The weather in western pa has been so miserable i might start looking into texas for a change of scenery. This rain every day is getting old. 160 days of rain on the year as of late september.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #51

FWIW--the tire is the Goodyear G-114LTH, H-rated, 4805lbs capacity, 125psi.

Texas weather this time of year is up/down/up/down. 64 just east of Austin today, 44 this am. Had some freezing week ago, some 80s also. Pretty heavy snow in Amarillo earlier this year; plenty of 80s around S. TX.

Was thru Pa just last month--sure glad I had enough fuel not to have to take on any, PA is highest I saw on 18000 mile trip just finished.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #52

I can believe it about the fuel. I keep getting friends on facebook posting their out of pa gas prices. All i can say is the people here deserve it, they voted the same group thats taxing us to death right back into office.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:23 PM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
FWIW--the tire is the Goodyear G-114LTH,...
No. Per the Goodyear website, it is the Goodyear G114 LHT - not LTH.

So it's not an LT tire, it's a commercial trailer tire.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:50 PM   #54

This is all you hear any more, "we are selling our home and moving into a RV to travel the country". I have to say "the road ain't what it used to be". You'll be contending against 1/2 million new RV's sold each year in at least the last 10 years and I have been traveling for the past 30 and say that if anything, I would consider going the other way and getting off the road.

There is constant contention for places to stay, rising costs of campsites, plus everyone is doing what you plan to do and even a very large of people who didn't plan to do it, people who lost their jobs and homes are out there now traveling from one job opportunity to another to look for migrant work. So it's not anywhere near the same fun it was 10 years ago, but if you want to join the battle on the road, I wish you the best of luck.

And until gas goes back up to $5 a gallon which is the only thing that halted this craze a decade ago, it's only going to get worse. Otherwise the perfect home will be near San Diego but I hope you have a significant savings to retire there.
Don A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #55

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Diesel Power 👍🏼

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, I think diesel is the best way to go! I don’t care if you’re pulling a travel trailer, 5th wheel, or Driving a MH. Can’t beat the power.
Just avoid interstate fuel stations if possible!
Travelerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:59 PM   #56

Tiffin Owners Club
We did the same thing but in a class A for 2 yrs and finally built a new home in The Villages, FL - need to check out The Villages; don't be afraid of the lifestyle that you may think is expensive, it's not, come visit then make up your mind. Check out TheVillages.com - Built here in 2009 and wouldn't live anywhere else. We take off in our motorhome 3 mos every summer but we sure love a home to come home to as well as our motorhome - 36FT Tiffin 2008 Open Road.
willbush is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, diesel, gas