Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I fuel wherever price is best and I can readily enter/ exit. Often truck stop lanes are more money.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloraBama View Post
Regardless of how accommodating fuel stations can be, it is still a pain to fuel up while towing. This is the primary reason I'm shopping for an auxiliary fuel tank so I can fuel up once a day preferably after I've unhooked.
We had KSH Marine in Lake Havasu build a custom tank and install it in our 450. The tank has it's own pump and gauge and is well built. Tank selection is via a switch inside the cab. I thought the price was very good. They have prebuilts as well.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #17

We almost always go to truck stops. We are towing a 40' 5th wheel so the mom&pop locations are usually bad for us, especially if the pump islands are not parallel to the front of the building. Even the places with rv lanes can be a little tight and busy. The truck lanes are usually easily to get into and almost always have a lane open for us to fuel at. The truckers don't mind since you will be out pretty quick. After fueling, we usually park with the trucks and have lunch or a snack.

p.s. The cost difference at the truck stops is not that much, usually .05$ / gallon. Fr a 1000mi trip at 10 mi/gal is only a $5.00 difference. I will gladly pay $5.00 for the ease.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:21 AM   #18

I base my selection of fuel stops on ease of access (including whether or not I'll inconvenience other customers) and the apparent volume of the station. I like plenty of room at a place that sells lots of fuel. One bad tank of fuel or one nicked corner will cost me far more than the savings of an entire season of frugal fuel shopping.

This doesn't mean I won't use a regular convenience store, but I definitely prefer truck stops. FWIW, truckers dislike filthy, seedy, overpriced truck stops too, but many times they have no choice. Trucker's Path is an app that not only helps locate stops, but also rates them and lists their fuel prices. It is a very helpful travel tool.

petrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Gas buddy was my app de jour, but not sure I like the new release... still debating...

Having had deezles pickups towing large tt's and 5'ers (momma don't like small things) have always gone wherever ...

but depends on how long I have been driving or how much further I have to go, I may stop at a Pilot/flying J with their 30 cent more expensive fuel if ez in and out to use the Camping World card that supposedly gives me a 6 cent discount...

But, KNOWING your turning radius and taking your time before you commit so that you can SEE your exit is very important...

now that in a class A and can't back up (except maybe 10 feet if careful), I still go where ever and have only had a problem when the gps wanted me to do a u turn somewhere in Colorado to get to the love's and it ran me into a military base without an exit :(
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 05:10 PM   #20

How does one gauge 'fuel sales' via a 'look' at station????
Old 09-27-2016, 08:52 PM   #21

I normally just fuel mine at stations the sale diesel on my route of travel. If I managed to get into the station, then I know for a fact that I can get out. Filled up on the way to the outer banks a couple of months ago in a small station. I pulled in, filled up, and then backed back out onto US HWY 64 in peak travel season.

If there were two stations when I needed fuel, obviously I would go for the easiest to enter / exit. However when I need fuel, I get it. Honestly, I've never put that much thought into it.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #22

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
How does one gauge 'fuel sales' via a 'look' at station????
If they sell a lot of diesel, you can tell. There will be folks there getting it, the pump will show signs of use equal to the gas pumps, the wear on the concrete pad, etc. Just open your eyes.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:07 PM   #23

Big truck stops are my last resort in 6 years fulltiming I could count the number of times I've used them on one hand and in that time I've only had to back out of a station twice.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If they sell a lot of diesel, you can tell. There will be folks there getting it, the pump will show signs of use equal to the gas pumps, the wear on the concrete pad, etc. Just open your eyes.
As I have stated before........

7 yrs FT constant travel, secondary/back roads....all small towns
Never find a station I couldn't get in/out of
Never had fuel issues.bad fuel/clogged filters etc

Most stations had little to no traffic except for couple guys hanging around
Most stations were slightly dated so had some use but still tough to tell by looking how much volume moved.

Some mentioned that should only fill up at high volume stations so I was curious HOW THEY COULD TELL by LOOKING

Way too much OCD going on.......it just isn't that complicated
Old 09-28-2016, 06:04 AM   #25
RVM1

My pics of our rig at a fuel station were used by RV Life to help demontrate how it's done!
There is no risk if you know how to maneuver and don't get nervous
RV Life is a sister to iRV2.
http://rvlife.com/accessing-fuel-sta...#comment-25988

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:39 AM   #26
RVM1

Diesel, where to fuel?

My best maneuvering buddies include mirrors that I tilt down to see the bay doors and toad, and utilizing the wonderfully tight wheel cuts. They also instill confidence.
Gradual turning brings you in toward obstacles. Swing wider and then cut it tight to end up parallel to the pumps.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 09:25 AM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
My best maneuvering buddies include mirrors ...
Can't disagree. The remote control mirrors on darn near everything now make maneuvering so much easier. I wish drivers would use them more often. 😉
Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 AM   #28

disel from service stations

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Truck stops are my last choice.
I have to agree... like one member said Flyin J used to be great but no more... I typically see prices 30, 40 even 50c/gal higher than at regular service stations. Since I often get 80/90 gallons, those prices make a BIG difference. I don't worry much about a 5c difference but 50c, fuggeddaboudit. I usually look for larger fuel stations with an easy in/out. Been driving diesel motorhomes for 5 years and never had bad fuel... and I rarely use truck stops.

Joseph Burkle
2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QRP
43' quad slide tag axle ISL 425 HP pusher
Wind-seeker.com

jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel