Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2016, 09:24 PM   #57

If you buy diesel with in a couple hundred miles of Dallas or Houston you'll get bio. The only thing you can shop for is what ratio. The truck stops right now are B-20 and I buy mine where it claims to be be B-5. Is it really, I don't know. I loved my mileage all summer in southern Colorado but it sucks again now that I'm back in the metro mess.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 09:35 PM   #58

My dirty fuel worries went away when I had a FASS fuel filter system installed.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:44 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mspoe View Post
I have a 2016 Four Winds Super C built on a Ford F-500 chassis. The diesel has plenty of power and torque and I am very happy with the performance. But I have a huge complaint about the DEF fill on this motor coach. I too use the semi lanes at truck stops to refuel, and have tried unsuccessfully twice now to use the DEF pump on those islands. The pump starts but immediately stops. Someone told me that the only way to refill the 6 gallon DEF tank on this motor coach is to use the Blue DEF bottles. I tried this and they are exceptionally messy and spill DEF while using them.

Does anyone out there know the secret to using the fuel island DEF pumps?

Thanks!!

Marshall Poe
The DEF station pumps we have used are a bit confusing and they are not all the same. At the Flying Js we have stopped the pumps will ask you (after you have swiped your credit card and Flying J ccard if you have one, if you want DEF before you begin ANY pumping (fuel or otherwise). After you say respond 'YES' to the DEF question it will give you three choices: tractor (meaning you are going to fuel with diesel), refer and something else which I can not remember. Choose tractor to fuel the RV with diesel. When you are done hang the nozzle up and answer the other question(s) in the negative. In the end you press the DEF button to fill your DEF from the another hose / nozzle. There are all sorts of screw ups that can happen so if something goes sideways get an attendant, they are used to it from not only RVs but truckers too. 1) there are two kinds of DEF nozzles, the oldest ones take a special magnet thing to run and usually only an attendant will have it. The new ones do not require this device to work. These DEF nozzles are like $600 (I was told) as apposed to the $20-$30 gas and diesel nozzles, so... they are using the old ones until they die. 2) This sequence of fueling can be messy if the customer before you does not hang up the DEF nozzle correctly as the pump gets confused (more confused that you)...
Ceratto's Grotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 09:18 AM   #60
ORF

I've used Stanadyne Performance Formula in all my diesels since they went to low sulfur fuels. Now with bio-diesel, I also add Biobor JF. My motorhome often sits for months and I haven't had a problem with fuel.
I used to use truck stops, but now there are a lot more diesel vehicles and the independent stations are less expensive. Casey's is a good place if available.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #61

Where to buy dieel

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler1959 View Post
Purchased a diesel truck recently. When you are pulling your TT, do you typically fuel at the normal car/truck pumps or do you occasionally use the semi lanes?

I certainly don't want to torque off the semi drivers, but it sure looks like a great option, as the lanes are bigger.

Thanks in advance.
BoilerUp

I have a 43 ft motorhome and tow an F150, 65 foot overall. I look for walmarts, Sams club or Costco that sell diesel, usually 25 to 45 cents cheaper than truck stops, who also charge higher price for using credit cards. Never had a space or clearance issue
Old 10-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #62

I never really considered where to fuel or not fuel. As a former driver, I never paid any attention to the RV'ers in the truck lane. As an RV'er I don't pay any attention to the trucks. We're all there for the same thing, Fuel and we're all paying the same price so it shouldn't matter. I will choose a more open place to fuel when I can, but overall it doesn't really matter so much, if I need fuel I'm going to do whatever I need to get in and out. RV's aren't anything to handle after you've drove a 340 inch wheel base tractor with a 53 foot tank behind it into plants that were designed for short daycabs and 37 foot trailers.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
What does where one buys DEF have to do with altered service intervals due to using biodiesel fuel??
Try it this way:
When I go to a truck stop it is only because I need DEF which is always cheaper at a truck stop than it is in containers.
I don't buy diesel at truck stops because it is B20 Biodiesel which requires more frequent maintainence (oil and filter change and fuel filter change).
Old 10-07-2016, 02:36 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Try it this way:
When I go to a truck stop it is only because I need DEF which is always cheaper at a truck stop than it is in containers.
I don't buy diesel at truck stops because it is B20 Biodiesel which requires more frequent maintainence (oil and filter change and fuel filter change).
How can you know that all truck stops are B20? I'm in Colorado and the local truck stop is 100% not B20. It's hard to lump all truck stops into the B20 category isnt it?
Old 10-07-2016, 02:54 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Angry Flying J is what Pilot should be.

As mentioned previously, the first place I look for is a Flying J! Why?

Because Flying J was a company wanting the RV business and taking steps to attract and keep RVers coming back to their pumps. The fuel is fresh and the RV islands make life easy.

Pilot, who purchased Flying J, on the other hand have no RV islands and it seems that they make the car lanes so short and narrow that those with a large rig have a pain when trying to get into purchase fuel.

If I were to offer Pilot, or any other company desiring my business, a few words I'd give them these points to ponder:
1) At the very lease encourage ONEWAY traffic at the islands. This is one thing where Costco out shines all others.
2) Identify BOLDY which pumps have Diesel and put them on the outside islands if possible. Make it ease for a person with a rig which requires diesel to find the correct lane to enter.
3) New construction should have RV islands! PERIOD, no debate!

I only hope that one of you is either an employee of the "big truck stop" companies, or you have contacts who are. Large RV owners are not as numerous as Truckers, but we have money and we'll spend it at places that VALUE our business.
04Journey36G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 03:04 PM   #66

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It occurred to me after I posted that I didn't address using the Truck lanes.

I have never been hampered by Truckers while using the Truck lanes, and in fact I've found that Truckers are, generally, just as fun to talk too as I find other RV owners. BUT, I don't like using the truck lanes because the high-flow nozzles are not compatible with my rig's filler. The volume that is dispensed is more than my filler can take and it always ends up in a mess on the side of my rig and usually on the ground. I don't like the unsightly mess and I really object to the safety issues. So, I don't use the truck lanes unless I have no other options, i.e. I'm running on fumes and there is no accessible car lane.
04Journey36G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #67

I don't know any diesel owner's that use bio on purpose. Good luck.
Old 10-07-2016, 07:31 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmore View Post
How can you know that all truck stops are B20? I'm in Colorado and the local truck stop is 100% not B20. It's hard to lump all truck stops into the B20 category isnt it?

Usually only near large metro areas do you find the B20 crap. I used pure diesel all summer in Colorado and got great mileage. Now back in the DFW area and the mileage sucks even after adding cetane booster. All truck stops in this area use that blend. I go to smaller stations at it claims to be B-5.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 10-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #69

cashmore,

"How can you know that all truck stops are B20? I'm in Colorado and the local truck stop is 100% not B20. It's hard to lump all truck stops into the B20 category isnt it?"

Are you positive about this--100% Bio, or did you mean 100% B20? Never seen anywhere that sells B100 only....unless, like during the high-fuel cost years, you went to a hurriedly-into-biodiesel business station.

By the way, whatever happened to all the 'do-it-yourself' biodiesel kits--the ones you 'could go to McDonalds and get their old grease'?
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 06:50 AM   #70

I took him to mean 100% Dino Diesel, or in other terms B0.

L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel