Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2016, 12:02 PM   #1

Diesel, where to fuel?

Purchased a diesel truck recently. When you are pulling your TT, do you typically fuel at the normal car/truck pumps or do you occasionally use the semi lanes?

I certainly don't want to torque off the semi drivers, but it sure looks like a great option, as the lanes are bigger.

Thanks in advance.
BoilerUp
boiler1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2016, 12:43 PM   #2

I used to tow with a Duramax dually. i normally bought diesel fuel at truck stops for two reasons,#1 you should only buy fuel from high-turnover stations to greatly reduce the odds of getting bad fuel, #2 truck stops have room for you to maneuver without damaging your vehicle or trailer.
For instance, Flying J/Pilot stations normally have RV-specific lanes. When not towing I buy fuel from the stations with high-use at the diesel pumps. The local Murphys station is where school bus drivers refuel, so I know the fuel is fresh and clean.
Speaking of clean, change the fuel filter per owners manual or annually-whichever comes first. This is the "secret" to trouble-free driving.
When re-fueling at a truck stop, watch the procedure and do the same. Truck drivers get in line, re-fuel when their turn at the pumps, then pull forward to allow the next driver to re-fuel while they go inside to pay. If a driver needs to use the facilities they find a parking spot in the lot instead of impeding the re-fueling process.

I hope this makes sense.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 12:52 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I go to the lowest price as long as it is not more than a couple of miles out of the way. If I get there and it looks like they don't sell much diesel, I go to the next place until it looks like they do sell a lot of diesel. If it sits in the ground too long, all kinds of things can start growing in it.

I'll buy at a truck stop if I have to, but they are usually more expensive than many other places. I use the GasBuddy app on my Android smart phone to find locations and prices.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I used to tow with a Duramax dually. i normally bought diesel fuel at truck stops for two reasons,#1 you should only buy fuel from high-turnover stations to greatly reduce the odds of getting bad fuel, #2 truck stops have room for you to maneuver without damaging your vehicle or trailer.
For instance, Flying J/Pilot stations normally have RV-specific lanes. When not towing I buy fuel from the stations with high-use at the diesel pumps. The local Murphys station is where school bus drivers refuel, so I know the fuel is fresh and clean.
Speaking of clean, change the fuel filter per owners manual or annually-whichever comes first. This is the "secret" to trouble-free driving.
When re-fueling at a truck stop, watch the procedure and do the same. Truck drivers get in line, re-fuel when their turn at the pumps, then pull forward to allow the next driver to re-fuel while they go inside to pay. If a driver needs to use the facilities they find a parking spot in the lot instead of impeding the re-fueling process.

I hope this makes sense.

You bet it makes sense. No doubt I would pull forward to stay out of the way. Thanks for the advice regarding service as well!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler1959 View Post
Purchased a diesel truck recently. When you are pulling your TT, do you typically fuel at the normal car/truck pumps or do you occasionally use the semi lanes?

I certainly don't want to torque off the semi drivers, but it sure looks like a great option, as the lanes are bigger.

Thanks in advance.
BoilerUp
If you tank does not have the large filler spout you may not be able to fuel in the truck lanes.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:56 PM   #6

15k towing with my diesel and using truck stops. Never had a an issue. 34 gallons goes a lot quicker than 200 so the truckers don't seem to mind. I'm not a fan of Love's truck stops though. Always have to go inside because I don't have a Loves fuel card. Flying J and Pilot are easier for me
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #7

Have a 2007 Dodge 3500 QC Longbed with 5.9L CTD and tow a 14K 5th wheel that is 13'4" tall.

We FTd for 7 yrs. and stayed away from 'trucker stations'-------lots of fuel spills on pump lanes, congested and 'marked up pricing'
We traveled secondary/back roads and purchased Diesel Fuel from every kind of station from 'franchised' to Mon-Pop types.
Never once had an issue with fuel and only couple of times had to do a bit of maneuvering to get back out.

Many CGs were more of a challenge than any service station.

Getting fuel at regular service stations is NOT an issue-----not enough of one for me to use those higher priced dirty trucker stations that's for sure.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Until a few years ago, the answer was simple: Flyin' J. But Flyin' J screwed up and got bought out by Pilot, so now they're just another truck stop with high prices.

Pilot/Flying J are okay as truck stops go, but they won't be the price leader the way the old Flyin' J was. The good thing about most Flying J truck stops now is they still have the RV lanes out front near the car pumps. Those RV lanes have both diesel and gas pumps, and even long/tall fifth-wheel trailers can get in and out with no problem.

In either the truck lanes or the RV lanes, common courtesy is expected. After you finish filling up, then pull forward enough that the diesel tanks of the 18-wheeler or RV behind you can reach the pump. If there's not room to pull forward that much, then go park out in the toolies while you finish your business with the truckstop.

I towed a 5er for over 11 years and over 100,000 miles all over the USA, and never had a truck driver fuss at me. At only one ancient truckstop in New Jersey was the filler tube on the pump too big for my SuperDuty diesel input filler tube.

ALWAYS buy your diesel from a very busy diesel station. Never buy diesel from a Mom&Pop convenience store where you're the only diesel customer. As others have mentioned, stale diesel that's been in the tank too long can result in a plugged up fuel filter and a dead truck.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

ALWAYS buy your diesel from a very busy diesel station. Never buy diesel from a Mom&Pop convenience store where you're the only diesel customer. As others have mentioned, stale diesel that's been in the tank too long can result in a plugged up fuel filter and a dead truck.
7 yrs of travel weekly /100,000 miles PLUS and lots of small town stations (Mom&Pop type) and not one clogged filter.

Believe me....my luck is not that good
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:58 PM   #10

I would rather have a root canal than go to a truck stop for fuel. Dirty, stinky, and over priced.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:20 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
Regardless of how accommodating fuel stations can be, it is still a pain to fuel up while towing. This is the primary reason I'm shopping for an auxiliary fuel tank so I can fuel up once a day preferably after I've unhooked.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:07 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I go to the lowest price as long as it is not more than a couple of miles out of the way. If I get there and it looks like they don't sell much diesel, I go to the next place until it looks like they do sell a lot of diesel. If it sits in the ground too long, all kinds of things can start growing in it.

I'll buy at a truck stop if I have to, but they are usually more expensive than many other places. I use the GasBuddy app on my Android smart phone to find locations and prices.

I love Gas Buddy. My biggest concern is ingress and egress. Paranoia about hitting something or not being able to get out.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Have a 2007 Dodge 3500 QC Longbed with 5.9L CTD and tow a 14K 5th wheel that is 13'4" tall.

We FTd for 7 yrs. and stayed away from 'trucker stations'-------lots of fuel spills on pump lanes, congested and 'marked up pricing'
We traveled secondary/back roads and purchased Diesel Fuel from every kind of station from 'franchised' to Mon-Pop types.
Never once had an issue with fuel and only couple of times had to do a bit of maneuvering to get back out.

Many CGs were more of a challenge than any service station.

Getting fuel at regular service stations is NOT an issue-----not enough of one for me to use those higher priced dirty trucker stations that's for sure.

Thanks. Maybe I am being paranoid, but even with my current tiny trailer I am very cautious about finding a place I am sure I can get in and out of easily. I have seen some pretty big rigs in conventional stations and they had no issues.

Or...maybe I just suck at driving .

Thanks for the advice!
Old 09-27-2016, 06:40 AM   #14

Truck stops are my last choice.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel