Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I am still a bit confused as you and Smokey list two different gear ratios. But I have herd they do have six gears.
The gear ratios I have posted is right from the workshop manual. The ones posted by smokey may have been rounded in some of the Ford brochures for customers. We (ford techs) need the exact ratios because when monitoring the measured ratios and commanded ratios we need to know exactly what they are to determine if a slip condition is occurring. This is why whenever I refer to OD for a 5R110W, it is always 6th gear because it is and it is just a habit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2013, 08:25 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am still a bit confused as you and Smokey list two different gear ratios. But I have herd they do have six gears.
The two lists of gear ratios comes from two different Ford sources. The source I quoted above is the 2004 Ford Truck Source Book, which includes all the specs needed by owners and operators (and salesmen). Those 5 forward ratios are also the ones included in detailed sales brochures. The difference in the two sets of published ratios is simply rounding, except the workshop manual gets more technical and adds another gear between third and direct drive, with a ratio of 1.096. The workshop manual calls that ratio 4th gear, but the Source Book and brochures ignore it and call direct drive 4th gear.

The computer software that controls the tranny never goes through all 6 gears. The average customer doesn't dig into the nitty gritty of the workshop manual. They never "feel" 6 speeds, so they have no reason to question the Ford sales pitch that it's a 5-speed automagic tranny. But James has to work on those marvelous contraptions, so the workshop manual he uses includes the technical details that the 5R100 really has 6 forward speeds, including that extra gear ratio of 1.096 to 1 that's not shown in the specs in the Source Book.

As James has explained above, the shifting strategy gets complicated. Perhaps the Source Book and sales brochures should say:
1st: 3.11
2nd: 2.22
3rd: 1.55 if freezing cold ATF, or 1.1 if operating temp
4th: 1.00 direct drive
5th: 0.71 overdrive

That's not entirely accurate either, but better than calling the 1.1 ratio 4th gear or in ignoring it as the Source Book now does..

Old 06-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #31

We do have a new F250 on order with a so called six speed. It also has the select shift so you can shift it manually. Same concept as the one in our 13 Escape. We also have a 12 Expedition with a six speed, but no select shift, just the tow haul button. On our last 07 Expedition we had a six speed with just a overdrive off button. On our 03 Expedition we only had a four speed with a overdrive off button. We also have a 08 F150 and it only has the four speed auto also, with the overdrive off button. Ford went to the six speed in the F150 line in 09 I have been told. The four speed F150 drives about as smooth as a Expedition with a six speed. I really like the tow-haul feature Ford uses a lot better then the old overdrive off feature. With tow-haul you still have high gear, but it downshifts on deceleration to help slow you down. Or on downhill grades it will hold a lower gear if you tap the brake and use the engine to slow you down. Back in the day we had a 78 F250 with a 3 speed auto, 460 engine and 4.10 gears. At 80 mph she was wound up pretty good with no overdrive. Also had a 85 Ford bronco, three speed auto, no overdrive and 351 engine. I am thinking 3.73 gears, be can't remember for sure. Also had a 58 Buick with a 2 speed dynaglide, auto and V8 engine. Transmissions have came a long way in the last fifty years.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #32

Quote:
We do have a new F250 on order with a so called six speed. It also has the select shift so you can shift it manually. Same concept as the one in our 13 Escape. We also have a 12 Expedition with a six speed, but no select shift, just the tow haul button. On our last 07 Expedition we had a six speed with just a overdrive off button. On our 03 Expedition we only had a four speed with a overdrive off button. We also have a 08 F150 and it only has the four speed auto also, with the overdrive off button. Ford went to the six speed in the F150 line in 09 I have been told. The four speed F150 drives about as smooth as a Expedition with a six speed. I really like the tow-haul feature Ford uses a lot better then the old overdrive off feature. With tow-haul you still have high gear, but it downshifts on deceleration to help slow you down. Or on downhill grades it will hold a lower gear if you tap the brake and use the engine to slow you down. Back in the day we had a 78 F250 with a 3 speed auto, 460 engine and 4.10 gears. At 80 mph she was wound up pretty good with no overdrive. Also had a 85 Ford bronco, three speed auto, no overdrive and 351 engine. I am thinking 3.73 gears, be can't remember for sure. Also had a 58 Buick with a 2 speed dynaglide, auto and V8 engine. Transmissions have came a long way in the last fifty years.
Your new superduty will have a six speed that uses all six speeds. So far that transmission has been working out really well with low failure rates. The computer that controls it is even more advanced when it comes to shift adapting than the 5R110W. Under certain conditions you may feel the shift more pronounced than what may have been expected. But don't worry, the internals are very robust. Overall people have been really liking the transmission (6R140).