Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 AM   #1

Diesel would be nice, BUT..

I'm conflicted on the truck thing.

I'm going to be hauling a 14,000lb 5th wheel on infrequent trips around Florida with perhaps one trip to New England a year. I've been focusing on diesel trucks but recently shifted to thinking about the F350 Dually 4x4 with the v-10. Knowing that most Class C motor homes and the majority of Class A's all run either Chevy or Ford gasser's, I'm wondering why the same wouldn't be suitable for the " rv lite" use we're anticipating for the near future?

Given the light use we anticipate I'm hesitant to make a bigger $$ investment in the diesel that will sit around a good part of the time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2013, 04:00 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterFolk View Post
I'm conflicted on the truck thing.

I'm going to be hauling a 14,000lb 5th wheel on infrequent trips around Florida with perhaps one trip to New England a year. I've been focusing on diesel trucks but recently shifted to thinking about the F350 Dually 4x4 with the v-10. Knowing that most Class C motor homes and the majority of Class A's all run either Chevy or Ford gasser's, I'm wondering why the same wouldn't be suitable for the " rv lite" use we're anticipating for the near future?

Given the light use we anticipate I'm hesitant to make a bigger $$ investment in the diesel that will sit around a good part of the time.
I think gassers make a lot of sense for those not driving them over over 10K miles a year. After that and the extra Fuel economy takes over.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #3

I've pulled things with gasoline engines and diesel engines. I can assure you the diesel will give you a more pleasurable pulling experience. With that being said there are pros and cons to either powerplant you choose. Everybody will have different concerns to fit their own situation... Here are a couple of my pros and cons :-)

RESALE
I don't know if resale is of concern to you but look around at the price differences on used 1 ton duallies both gas and diesel as compared to their original price. You'll find on average the diesel trucks hold their value way longer than their gasoline counterparts, all things considered. Of course this is only if you intend to keep your truck for quite a while.

LONGEVITY
Most diesel trucks will see well over 300,000 miles in their lifetimes. I have an 01 F250 SD with the 7.3L turbodiesel and it's quickly approaching 300,000 miles. It has served me wonderfully everyday without any major repairs, very reliable, 16mpg. Unfortunately, the engine may live on, but the rust on the body and frame will stop this truck from ever seeing 500,000 miles.... haha
Old 06-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #4

It's pretty hard to justify the extra cost of going diesel - new or used. I've read that it takes in the order of 100,000 miles to get a payback on fuel savings. It's harder to find diesel sometimes as all service stations don't have it. And there's more maintenance to worry about.

I love our V10. It has about the same horsepower as a diesel, but torque is a lot less. If you're not in a hilly region, I don't think you'd really need the extra torque. The diesels are so much noisier. They are so loud in campgrounds sometimes, esp. when someone fires one up early in the morning and lets it idle while they pack up.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #5

I have two V10s in F350 4X4 trucks. And one in the motor home. Some Ford triton motors have logged more than a million miles. Probably with less maintenance then a diesel. If you want to pull anything with a V10 pickup, be sure it has the 4.30 gears. I only have 17 K on the V10 truck I drive and it is a 2008. If you want to pull a lot, and heavy, just save yourself some grief and get the new 6.7 power stroke. Ford does not even offer the V10 anymore. The Super Duty gasser is now a 6.2 V8 with less torque then the V10 has.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

For what you want, do NOT skimp on the truck meaning get the F350 DRW at the minimum.
But you're thinking is right as far as V10s going into those bigger units. Like they said, make sure you get a bigger rear diff ratio.
Old 06-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
For what you want, do NOT skimp on the truck meaning get the F350 DRW at the minimum.
But you're thinking is right as far as V10s going into those bigger units. Like they said, make sure you get a bigger rear diff ratio.
X2 14,000 pound fiver is a big load. Even a F450 would not be a bad idea. It's hard to find these type trucks with the V10, as when most get ordered in the DRW people just go with a diesel. If they offered the diesel in the F53 class chassis, it would be a lot better setup then the V10.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We went through the same thought process back in 1996 when we bought a 5th wheel that maxed out at 15k lbs. Back then the diesel was a $4500 option.

I concluded that unless you were a commercial operator, or likely to keep the truck for many years or miles, it wasn't worth the extra. Yes, the diesel will be worth more at resale, but you paid a lot more for it. Acceleration was much better with the V10 gas we bought over the diesel which, for me, made it much more "pleasurable" to drive vs the diesel. We also lived, at the time, where penguins would refuse to live (because it got too cold), which adds another layer to the diesel issue.

Now we own a "big rig" DP, so diesel very definitely has its place, but I'm with you - limited use, it's not worth the extra money.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Ford does not even offer the V10 anymore.
Only somewhat true. Ford no longer offers the V-10 engine in a pickup, or in an F-350 chassis cab. But it's still available in an F-450 and F-550 chassis cab with XL or XLT trim. Go to Ford.com, and in the commercial truck section build&price a 2013 F-450 chassis cab. I just did that and it allowed me to build an F-450 chassis cab XLT CrewCab with 6.8L V-10 engine, 5R110 automagic tranny and 4.88 rear axle ratio. That new Ford with an aftermarket tow body would be just what the doctor ordered to pull a 14k 5er. GVWR 16k, GCWR 26k, tow rating 16k.

I new the V-10 was still available because it's in the 2013 Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #10

If the truck will sit for long periods of time, I would lean more towards a gasser also. The Diesel does make great power, the newer diesels are very quiet, and the diesel will likely have some slightly better fuel mileage when towing. However, diesels tend to not like sitting for long periods of time. Especially ones with variable geometry turbos. The V10 option is a great option and those motors last a long time with proper maintenance.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #11

I went with a v10 drw cc as i dont have a long drive to work (6mi) and i only camp a few times a year. Its been great. I bought used, from orig owner and my '99 has around 111k miles. Well maintained, it'll last me my towing lifetime.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #12

That 6.8litre V10 gasser is the next best thing to a diesel. And is better than a diesel if not used all the time.

Good choice.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #13

Thanks for all the great input, much of which confirms my thinking. I'm actually looking at a used 2000 F350 w/about 125,000 miles. I'm thinking if it passes muster with my mechanic it should do fine...for now. Can always trade to a diesel if needed.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

The diesel engine is a luxury but then so is a 14,500 lb 5th wheel trailer. Economics are not in the picture or you would be towing a popup trailer behind a Honda CRX.

Where the diesel helps is in acceleration, towing up steep grades, and with downhill control with its exhaust brake. When you can travel down a steep mountain grade and not have to touch the truck brakes and the rig is at a safe speed and under full control the entire way one starts to appreciate a diesel engine and its exhaust brake.

The gas engines are a great deal more reliable and require less in the way of maintenance and are much cheaper to repair. Replacing a set of injectors on a diesel is a $4000-$5000 repair job or what it would cost for a complete engine rebuild with a gas engine. Diesel engines are also being continually redesigned to reduce the excess pollution they generate and this has greatly increased the liklihood of needing repairs and having the truck in the shop instead of on the road.

Many go on an on and on about DRW but on the highway on long trips the people pulling a 5th-wheel travel trailer are using a SRW truck 4/5 of the time. If DRW trucks offered a big advantage more people would be driving them.