Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2003, 04:00 PM   #29

I currently own a '97 Chevy c-cab dually, 6.5TD, with a hide away gooseneck ball in the bed. It was used to haul a trailer with a horizontal boring machine, all over the country. While I do not have a 5ver yet, I would like to upgrade to one when I'm able. My question is, are there any manufacturers that make a gooseneck frame 5ver? (other than a custome built rig)

Transplanted(again)in Kentucky
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2003, 06:11 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only ones I know about are either custom or a combo horse/RV trailer. If you want to keep the flat floor fro non-towing, look at the BW Turn Over Ball and their Companion 5er hitch. RustyJC has one and loves it.

Ken W

New-old 1995 Avion 36.5M toted by a 1997 Ford F-350 Dually Crewcab PSD, SCMT,Down pipe, 4" exhaust, MagnaFlow mufffler, RideRite air springs and Jordan 2020 controller http://irv2review.com/photopost/show...php?photo=1411. Travel with a Miniature Schnauzer and two small Parrots.---Practicing for our retirement! Have Flamingo, will travel!
Check out the Texas Boomers at http://www.texasboomers.org/
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:20 PM   #31

Hi All,
My 1st post here..the wife found this place while looking for info on a GN adapter for my 5er. I just purchased a new truck,(plz see sig),and included in the deal was the purchase and addition of a Atwood hide-a-ball,(flip over,whatever they call it),and a Andersen Universal Ranch Hitch Adapter. OK, the ball has been installed, and the bed has been line-x'd,AND, I was just about to install the GN adapter when I noticed on the last page of the install sheet that they say "use caution" if you have a 30" or longer pin box..well lo and behold I measured mine only to find I have a "super extended" 37" (measured by their diagram) pin box..AND after reading this thread, I am scared to death to install this!
The way things look though, I can keep the ball and have a Draw-tite or Reese 16k adjustable fifth hitch which SHOULD,(I hope),clear the frame mounts for the ball thats there. I would like to keep it as my next 5er will come factory with a GN hitch. I am sure glad the Old Buzzard found this site!!
I know the last post was 3 years ago, are there any new developments concerning the way GN adapters are made now?

2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA 5er
twooldbuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:08 AM   #32

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally posted by twooldbuzzards:
I know the last post was 3 years ago, are there any new developments concerning the way GN adapters are made now?
No, the principles of mechanics (statics and dynamics) remain the same today as they were 3 years ago.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 AM   #33

You know...my parents warned me that there were "others" out there that were just like me, and I'd soon get what I deserve in life.

2010 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA 5er
twooldbuzzards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:57 AM   #35

another good point is that you must tow a 5th wheel trailer with a 5th wheel hitch mounted directly to the frame of the tow vechile in order to be able to ride in the trailer or tow another trailer behind it ie my boat also goose neck hitches have no side to side stabilty any trailer that is top heavy will have problems most goose neck trailers dont have a load on the neck because of this. I used to tow a 53 foot flat bed goose neck i could load the lower bed as much as i wanted but if a loaded the eight foot bed on the neck it wanted to rol over when making a turn once i converted it to a 5th wheel the problem went away.
garyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #36

Hi all. Out of all of this discussion, I have not seen types or gooseneck adapters that were used, the length of the trailer being hauled, etc. The reason I'm asking all of this is that I just bought a truck that already has the gooseneck hitch/ball in the bed. The previous owner used it to haul horses.

Now with all of this in mind, I have gone to our local RV store and spoke with a person that is pretty smart and on key with things. This being a really small town, it's an unwritten rule that you don't BS the local folks as it comes back to bite you in the butt.

The adapter that I looked at did not have any offset and the only thing that I can think of that might be different - which others have failed to mention - is the the amount of surface area that is connecting/resting on the hitch. In other words, the king pin and box it's mounted to rest on a 5th wheel hitch, giving it more surface area of contact.

Because my trailer is old, I have been considering - after all hight adjustments, etc have been done - thinking about having our local welder weld the king pin box to the frame.

Opinions? Suggestions? I'm open eared to hear it all.

Doug
Ohgoodiee is offline   Reply With Quote