Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #15

Down side, you will not find a short bed 1 ton in GMC product. Might look at Ford or Dodge, they both offer 1 ton short bed trucks. This is the last year for Dodges Mega cab For that 52K you can get a 1 ton mega cab dually Resistol model. With that you get a new cowboy hat to boot And enough truck to drag the world to a stop.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
For that 52K you can get a 1 ton mega cab dually Resistol model. With that you get a new cowboy hat to boot And enough truck to drag the world to a stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ummm....check out the GVWR on that MegaCab 1 ton dually.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 AM   #17

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 450Donn:
For that 52K you can get a 1 ton mega cab dually Resistol model. With that you get a new cowboy hat to boot And enough truck to drag the world to a stop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ummm....check out the GVWR on that MegaCab 1 ton dually.

Rusty </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Still has the 23,000 GCWR

But I will agree that because of the extra weight of the mega cab the pin weight rating is down some. But I think it still has a 11,500 GVWR And a short bed dually has to be one weird ride
Old 06-05-2008, 10:29 AM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
But I think it still has a 11,500 GVWR. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Go to the Dodge website and build a 4x2 MegaCab dually. 10,500 lbs GVWR. Dodge really missed the 5th wheel market with the MegaCab dually due to (1) the short bed and (2) the inadequate GVWR. This has been discussed extensively on the TurboDiesel Register forum.

Hey, the new 1500 comes out in 2009 and the 2500/3500 in 2010. Maybe they'll get 5th wheel towing figured out this time. Heck, if fuel prices don't improve by 2010, we may not have to worry about towing 5th wheels.

Rusty
Old 06-05-2008, 11:14 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RustyJC:
Heck, if fuel prices don't improve by 2010, we may not have to worry about towing 5th wheels. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
GM has already announced that they will stop producing their large SUVs and trucks...can Ford and Chrysler (Dodge) be far behind?

And if the "Big 3" stop making their large trucks, what do you think is going to happen to the fiver market?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:23 AM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LindaH:
GM has already announced that they will stop producing their large SUVs and trucks... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Actually, GM announced that they were shutting down large truck and SUV production at four (4) plants. They still have capacity in other remaining plants to build the trucks that they forecast the market will support. They've just announced that they will shut down excess capacity as a reaction to the drop in truck/SUV sales. They're not leaving the business - at least at this point in time.

Rusty
Old 06-06-2008, 05:21 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Ford made the same announcement last week. If you look at a Ford, you may have to select something from the lot.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #22

Mark: You are definitely going about this the right way and will avoid a nasty $$$$ pit fall later. So many of us have gone down this road before you and made the mistake of wishing those lower "unloaded vehicle weights" were the holy grail! Some manufacturer's don't even include the additional weight of Gel-Coat (approx 13Lb per running foot) fiberglass in those UVW's and they haven't made an aluminum sided or Filon fiver in years.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 PM   #23

Sure a lot of good information on this thread and I just purchased an 08 Chev Dually for my 06 Montana 29RL, Montana's smallest model. This 5th wheel is 33 feet long and when loaded up puts 2600 pounds on the pin.
The only SRW 1 ton that will legally pull my trailer, the way I load it, is the Ford because they have the highest payload. I decided I wanted to try a Chev this time so I had no choice but to go to a dually 3500 with the 11400 pound GVWR. This truck has an almost identical payload as my 05
Ford F350 V10 which was an 11200 GVWR ( PSD trucks in my model are 11400 ) My Chev Dmax weighs about 200 pounds more than my Ford V10 did so payloads are the same.
In the Montana Owners Forum, the most active posters convince newbies that a 2500 HD Duramax with a 9200 LB GVWR is all the truck you need for every model that Montana makes. Complete hogwash!
Disagree with them and get punted off the site like I did. Great to belong to an RV forum with people that know the facts and practice them.