Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #15

if at all poss change the rear end fluid befor you get a tow on it . Rear ends have a lot of break in friction , more then motors ! The first miles that get put on it should be very easy and short trips to avoid a lot of heat build up . After you get 40 ~ 60 mile on long trips shouldnt be a issue. Do you have limited slip / posi in the rear end? If not you may want to think about a lock rite or something like it. With the extra gear its going to spin the tires really easy on wet roads , you can always add a lock rite after the fact. They are easy to install and would only take a newbe maybe 2 hours start to finish , and they work much better then any clutch type limited slip unit !
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2007, 02:38 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Ron,

You're right. Brain fade on my part, I'm afraid. Sorry....

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 04:34 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Mark,

Yes, I was fortunate enough to have limited slip from the factory. You bring up a good point. Although the lower gears will be nice towing, I'm guessing that I'll have to be a little careful while empty, until I get used to them. First gear will be REALLY low.
rpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Rusty,

That does bring up a good question however. Right now, my speedo is exactly on according to my GPS and my own timing by mile markers. Part of the reason for going as deep as I did with the gears is that I would like to go to a slightly taller tire when it comes time to replace the current ones. Is it a difficult thing for the dealer to get the speedo back to its original accuracy with a PCM flash? I know back in the old days, we would pick a plastic speedo gear that we thought would be close and try it. Sometimes it was close, but usually it would be off a bit. Do they use some sort of dyno or something these days to get the speedo corrected with the PCM, kind of like the device the auto club uses?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:15 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
I believe the PCM on the 04 can be corrected if you know the revolutions per mile with the new tires, although the range of acceptable entries isn't unlimited. This is generally posted on the manufacturer's website as part of the tire data for a particular tire model and size. The dealer (if he knows what he is doing) can do the recalibration through the OBD II port.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #20

Rpounds,
Is that $1300 for (2) sets of R&Ps installed? If so, thats a good price. Doing the same here from 3.5s to 4.10s & it's $1800.

Clay

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Please Wait. Your request is being processed...
[x]

SiteiRV2 Forum Main Page
Servleteve2da015
Version1.2.20 build 8861
ModuleForums 4.0.3
Stylesheet"Blue Steel - MH"
Wordlet Set"Default Wordlet Set"
Logout: iRV2 Forum Main Page
Update Groupee Account Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 07-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Clay,

That's both diffs, $1386 out the door, taxes and everything. One day service once they get the gears in (probably this next week). I'm off next Friday so I'm hoping that they can do it then.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Well, the gears are finally broken in properly and so I had a chance to tow with the truck today. Boy, what a difference! The effort required is so much less now. In normal highway driving, the transimssion doesn't kick down, nor does the torque converter unlock. With the old setup, every time I went over a little over pass on the highway, it would at least kick the TQ out and a lot of times kick down a gear. Not anymore. I only towed about 30 miles each way, but I am impressed. At the end of the month, we will be taking a trip into the mountains. That should be the real test, but from my experience today, this was a great change.
Old 08-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #23

sounds good ! Enjoy your truck...Just make sure you drop the fluid after you about 1000 miles on the rearend and I would run it for a while with the front for the winter then change it. You just cant put any load on the front axel to to get it to break in unless you have a dirt road thats miles long and you travel it daily in 4x4 mode.