Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 AM   #1

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the Electric Over Hydraulic Disk Brakes that Newmar offers as an option on this year's Kountry Aire 5th wheels?

Also, do you know whether is this compatible with the Tow Command brake controller that is offered on Ford's Super Duty pick-up trucks.

I've heard various experiences from Ford truck owners as to whether disk brakes worked with their Tow Command brake controller.

I'm contemplating buyng a 2008 Kountry Aire and an F450 to pull it.

Thanks for your help.

John

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2007, 03:21 AM   #2

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the Electric Over Hydraulic Disk Brakes that Newmar offers as an option on this year's Kountry Aire 5th wheels?

Also, do you know whether is this compatible with the Tow Command brake controller that is offered on Ford's Super Duty pick-up trucks.

I've heard various experiences from Ford truck owners as to whether disk brakes worked with their Tow Command brake controller.

I'm contemplating buyng a 2008 Kountry Aire and an F450 to pull it.

Thanks for your help.

John

Old 10-12-2007, 03:36 PM   #3

You guys sure are full of information!

Newmar uses Carlisle disk brakes on the 2008 Kountry Aire (two Newmar dealers didn't know that either, so I called Technical Assistance at the factory). The guy I spoke with there also said they would work with Ford's Tow Command Brake Controller, according to what he was told by Carlisle's engineer. (Skeptic that I am, I'm still not convinced on that, but we'll see.)

Anybody have any first hand experience with this set-up? (Naw, I see you guys are all Motorhomers....)

John
Old 10-12-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for the info MT flyfisher will link this thread up with 5th wheel towables maybe we'll get some better responce or they are all out camping.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do any Newmar 5th owners have the braking system combo that this RVer is looking for.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #6

New Horizons Owners Club
It is not a one-answer-fits-all situation, but for what it is worth, and generally speaking, the Ford Tow Command system is not compatible with electric over hydraulic systems. The technology is changing all the time but my impression is that if there is an E-O-H that works with Tow Command, it is a brand new.

When I built my truck in early 06 I put in an auxiliary brake controller. I use the Tow Command for traditional magnet brakes and then I toggle over to the auxiliary controller, a Tekonsha Voyager. The Voyager is purpose-built for E-O-H brakes.
jperry29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:07 PM   #7

Thank you for your reply, Jperry29. The way things look now, I think I'll order the Ford without Tow Command.

Here's the response I just received from Carlisle:

"The 2008 Ford Tow Command is not compatible with the Carlisle HydraStar actuator. Carlisle recommends installing an approved aftermarket
controller.

http://www.carlislebrake.com/pdfs/Co...%209-12-07.pdf

Thank you,

Jess Hulse, ME
Applications Engineer
Carlisle Industrial Brake and Friction
jhulse@carlislebrake.com
(812) 334-8753"

John
Old 10-26-2007, 08:20 AM   #8

I have a 2003 Mountain Aire 38RLRK with disc brakes. It is similar to the Kountry Aire you are looking at, including the very heavy weight (20,000# loaded). I pulled my Mtn Aire with a F550 (beefed up 7.3PSD). The 4R100 automatic tranny wouldn't handle the engine power with that much load. After 18 months, three tranny breakdowns and around $7,500 invested in beefing up the tranny and aux cooling, I sold the truck and got something much stronger (class 7).

While I've seen big Mtn & Kntry Aires pulled with F350 - F550 trucks, serious mountain driving is a problem for them. They tend to run quite warm on the uphill grades and are pushed down the hills by the heavy fiver.

There is a delay in applying electric over hydraulic brakes, so you can really feel the trailer pushing you until its brakes come on. In a situation where you are pushing things a little, this can be a serious safety issue. It also greatly increases your stopping distance. This is inherent in all electric over hydraulic brakes (disc or drum) and not in air over hydraulic (not applicable to anything but a class 6-8 tv with air).

I'm not saying the F450 and fiver won't work together; just that you should know what can happen with that package.

JMHO

Marv

2001 Volvo VNL42T420, ISX, 181"wb, 3.42 axle, super 10, gearmaster
marvmarcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
marvmarcy welcome to the Newmar forum and irv2.
Thanks for the information Newmar 5th Wheelers are hard to pry out info for each other.
We have a NEWMAR 5TH WHEELERS TOPIC above many views but very little action,POSTs.
Enjoy the forum and DO post often.
I have some NEWMAR KARMA if your interest thanks for joining in.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #10

Marv -

Thank you very much for your reply.

The most that I've towed until now has been a 31' Airstream with my F250 7.3L PSD. Fully loaded, I doubt the Airstream weighed 9,000#, so a Kounty Aire is a big step up for me.

However, my wife and I really like the Kountry Aire, and haven't seen anything else on the market that we like better.

Where I'm mostly hung up is on the tow vehicle because I really don't want to get a dually, much less something bigger and heavier than what I have now. So, since we seem so stuck on the Kounty Aire, and Ford says the new F450 with 4.30 rear end can tow 20,000#, I'm thinking of going that route come heck or high water. (Maybe down the road, I'll be hearing you say "I told you so"!)

Although we live in PA, we plan to use and store our trailer almost exclusively in MT. I know we'll invariably have to take the trailer back to the factory (or somewhere) for service (or perhaps change our plans and use it elsewhere at some point), but mainly we only need to tow it about 60 miles (over the Bozeman pass on I-90) once in the early summer when we take the trailer out of storage, and then again in the fall when we put it away for the winter. So, I don't plan on putting too many 1,000's of miles on my tow vehicle with 20,000# in tow, and actually hope to keep the trailer weight down in the 17,000# range most of the time since we store a lot of our "camping stuff" permanently in MT and don't have to haul it in the trailer.

John