RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #1

Display mount options

I am curious to know how folks handle all of the technology in their vehicles. I have a rearview camera display and will soon be installing a TPMS and eventually a GPS. Where do put all of these displays/monitors? I'm running out of windshield real estate.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2019, 10:05 PM   #2

The GPS I mount low in the windshield just left of center where it's easy to see without taking my eyes off the road. I mount the suction cup for our TST-TPMS display on the sunroof over my darling bride's head. Easy to see, picks up signal from the tires great and she thinks I'm looking at her (when I'm actually checking out my temps, lol).

Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #3

I like the idea of scoring points with the bride, maybe I'll try that.

I am probably going to give one of these a shot. I am trying to find one which will support multiple devices (a two headed monster).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012I6A6E8...4-49728df24266
Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 AM   #4

I only have a GPS device that sits low and does not take up any window space on my truck. The GPS is not being displayed as I only travel with the device when needed.

No TPMS at all I do not like them for all of the false positives that the device can produce.

My additional engine gages sit in the "A"-pillar, and my radar detector sits low on the dash out of my vision site.

I have attached a couple of photos of my set-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rand Mc Nally support 01.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	276.4 KB
ID:	243390   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rand Mc Nally support 03.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	243391  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gauges for 2008 Dodge.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	243392  
Old 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

I am considering a full commercial lap top mount. On the passenger side. The wife is the navigator and research annalist. She can also be the systems monitor. All of those functions can be displayed on a laptop. Also the adjustable mount will mean she does not have to spend hours looking done in her lap like she does with her phone.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I only have a GPS device that sits low and does not take up any window space on my truck. The GPS is not being displayed as I only travel with the device when needed.

No TPMS at all I do not like them for all of the false positives that the device can produce.

My additional engine gages sit in the "A"-pillar, and my radar detector sits low on the dash out of my vision site.

I have attached a couple of photos of my set-up.
I assume that is the GPS bracket in the photo? How does it attach?
Old 04-24-2019, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
I am considering a full commercial lap top mount. On the passenger side. The wife is the navigator and research annalist. She can also be the systems monitor. All of those functions can be displayed on a laptop. Also the adjustable mount will mean she does not have to spend hours looking done in her lap like she does with her phone.
Would it be possible to show all devices on a single tablet with a split screen? That would be ideal.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCarolina View Post
I assume that is the GPS bracket in the photo? How does it attach?
Yes!

On the Dodge/Ram trucks for the 3RD gen trucks there are several cubby holes in the dash, as you can see in the photo. I made a wooden block that fits in one of the cubby holes. The block is about 2.5" long and is tapered to fit the opening tightly. The block was then hollowed out to fit one of the arms for the GPS support device. The arm is than attached with through bolt and nut, these in turn are countersunk into the block. I painted the block black to blend in with the GPS arm. Everything is adjustable to provide the best optimized view and to prevent sun light reflection.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #9

Quote:
By the time she see an abnormality in the system monitor, if she is really looking and than she warns you it may be to late! The engine/transmission could be toast.

My younger son has a 2013.5 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins and he monitors his information with a Edge Insite CTS2 that is mounted on the A-pillar support.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
By the time she see an abnormality in the system monitor, if she is really looking and than she warns you it may be to late! The engine/transmission could be toast.

My younger son has a 2013.5 Ram with the 6.7L Cummins and he monitors his information with a Edge Insite CTS2 that is mounted on the A-pillar support.
I was specifically talking about TPS, GPS, NAV rear camera. Not truck specifics.

My '18 has a multi digital display that is programmable and customizable. So when towing I can have different functions displayed. Like EGT, trans temp, oil temp etc. The truck already has alarms for those items too.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUCarolina View Post
Would it be possible to show all devices on a single tablet with a split screen? That would be ideal.
I dont know for sure but I am looking into it now.
My choice is a laptop over a tablet.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:28 PM   #12

I have a 4.3" Furrion rear view, Eztire tpms, and use my phone for GPS. I completely pre-plan my routes and don't have a need for an RV gps so far but if I do I'll buy it.

I mount my rear view with the suction cup in the middle of the windshield at the bottom. Good comfortable place for me for a quick glance when needed. The TPMS is just put in a recessed cup on the top of my dash (Ram truck). Doesn't slide around or fall out so it's a good spot. My phone/gps is suction cup mounted on the dash. I run my gauge temps screen on my info display between the tach and speedo. I can glance at all data without moving my head or taking my eyes far off the road. Very happy with the setup.

My TPMS is rechargeable so I don't need to run a wire to a plug. Battery lasts 20 hours and is very convenient. My mirrors are really nice so I don't use my rearview all that often anymore when on the road. I couldn't live without the TPMS though. I consider that a more important piece of technology than the rear view but it's subjective. Many don't care about TPMS at all.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
I dont know for sure but I am looking into it now.
My choice is a laptop over a tablet.
I'd be interested in seeing the results.