Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2013, 08:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
Your trailer will have electric brakes. The wires are run thru the axles. They will abrade against the axle tube and will go to ground, resulting in no brakes. Not fun. The two options are to cut out the wires in the axle and replace with heavy duty duplex wire secured either in the underbelly or behind the axle, It is spendy but worth it. The other option is to go to hydraulic brakes. Also spendy, but even more worth it. The failure point on the wire in the axle seems to average 12,000 miles, but could be more or less.
While possible, not 12k mile average on that. I see MANY trailers that are much older and have gone much further than that, and there are no complaints about brakes.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
Your trailer will have electric brakes. The wires are run thru the axles. They will abrade against the axle tube and will go to ground, resulting in no brakes. Not fun. The two options are to cut out the wires in the axle and replace with heavy duty duplex wire secured either in the underbelly or behind the axle, It is spendy but worth it. The other option is to go to hydraulic brakes. Also spendy, but even more worth it. The failure point on the wire in the axle seems to average 12,000 miles, but could be more or less.

You can have too much trailer, but you cannot have too much truck.
Been RVing since 1984 and have yet had to rewire a wirings system for the brakes. Do make sure the brake wires are secured.

I have also restored and Silver streak and a silver Avion and the original brake wires were fine.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well.. You could trade your F-350 in on a Trail Hauler (Google it and you will see why this would work)

However I can only say this. I often cringe when I look at the trailer hooked to the F-150 or even F-250, but I can't recall ever cringing to a trailer hooked to an F-350.

I drive a class A though myself.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #18

wa8yxm - are Trail Haulers also known as Sport Chassis? If so ok. If not can you explain the difference?

I call these MDT's Sport Chassis.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #19

I tow a 39ft Heartland unit also with a SRW 2005 F250.
It tows better then the previous 33ft lighter unit.
I would try the present truck and you do the decision.
I did the decision 5 years ago and 25k miles and plan to keep the setup for an other 10 years.
Ford rear plies do not carry as well as the GMs. I added more plies for the lighter unit that was ok for GM 2500 and kept it for this heavier one.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #20

You can't buy too big atruck or John Deere IMHO!
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:21 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
are Trail Haulers also known as Sport Chassis? If so ok. If not can you explain the difference?

I call these MDT's Sport Chassis.
Trail Hauler is the brand name of a "hauler" body (a.k.a tow body) made by Wil-Ro Truck Body, mounted on a Freightliner medium duty truck (MDT) chassis. One such MDT is the Freightliner Sport Chassis (Class 5, 6, or 7 chassis cabs with single rear axle), but Class 5, 6, and 7 chassis cabs are also made by other truck companies, including Peterbilt, Kenworth, and International. You can also order a Wil-Ro Hauler tow body mounted on one of those MDT brands, or even on an F-550 Ford. TRAIL-HAULER.COM
The F-550 cab is the same as an F-250 cab, so it doesn't shout that it is a BIG truck the way the Freightliner or Peterbilt MDTs shout.

There are several other truck body manufacturers that will build you a tow body and mount it on your DRW chassis cab truck, or even on SRW pickups or chassis cabs. Western Hauler and Herrin Hauler are two such brand names. So you aren't stuck with Wil-Ro if you want a tow body on a medium duty truck chassis.

Link = Western Hauler - "The True Choice of Champions"

The above photo is a Herrin Hauler tow body on a Ford DRW.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #22

I use a 3500 chevy 454 dually to haul the 36 ft 5th wheel 4:10 gears auto.
pro_coupe 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #23

If your plans are to just use the truck for vacations I'd get as drw gas motor. Diesel trucks have a lot of problems when only used part time.
jrgreenacres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #24

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
DRW will haul more weight over the rear axle than a SRW. I have had both. SRW is just as stable as a DRW towing a fifth wheel. Check the TV specs for the weights.
Old 12-16-2013, 05:37 PM   #25

Smokey - thanks. I have seen and actually sat in a FL M2 Sport Chassis. So 'Sport Chassis' is only a FL term.

I have seen PB, KW, and International HDT's but was unaware they also built MDT's. I will keep an eye out to see if I can spot any. The Super Nova class 'C' motorhome is probably built on an International MDT chassis but everytime I see a MDT with a hauler bed it is that FL M2 chassis.

There is 1 HDT pulling a Mobile Suits in the snowbird park that I am in but no MDT's. There is 1 F-550 with a hauler bed but the rest of the guys just have pick-up beds on their 1 ton dually trucks. Some of tailgates are dented which give the truck character.

Thanks again for the explanation.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #26

All, thank you so much for your responses and help - I'm extremely thankful. Definately lots of different opinions out there and it looks like I've got some more research to do especially on specs and our usage since we're a family of 5 plus two dogs so I've got some homework to do but man...you all have been a tremendous help. As a first timer on a site like this it really exciting to see how much help is out there and it's firing me up even more to get on the road.
apmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have seen PB, KW, and International HDT's but was unaware they also built MDT's.
The Kenworth T170 is the Baby Kenworth, a class 5 MDT. Use your imagination to replace that stake body with a tow body.
Kenworth Trucks - The World's BestŪ

The Model 325 is the baby Peterbilt. This one has a box body, but you can visualize a tow body on that truck.
Model 325 Features & Specifications | Peterbilt Medium Duty Trucks | Peterbilt Motors Company

International allows you to build your MDT on their website.
International Trucks
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #28

I have seen these trucks with various beds - typically electrical trucks with the boom off the back, tow trucks, ambulances, logging trucks, and a bunch more but never one with a hauler bed. I am now in Florida where I see all kind of trucks pulling 5th wheels. I will see if I can find a baby KW with a hauler bed. Hauler beds are the coolest beds made !!!