RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2019, 12:00 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplooey View Post
Thanks for the replies, guys. It has the 3.83 rear. We're going to do a trip closer to home next month, so we'll see how it goes. That just got home from a camping trip where I pulled the pop up a good distance then went and picked up the coyote a few days later. I may have just been spoiled by pulling that pop up for so long. Honestly, it probably could use a good tune-up. Although I would like a new truck, I really don't need to spend the money if I don't have to right now. We'll see how this trip goes and I will get back to you all. Thanks again!

I installed a K&N last year and it seemed to give it a bit more juice.
Our Avalanche has the 5.3 as well but has the 3:73 gears.
The trailer weighs about 6300# loaded.
When heading over Mt. Hood, Oregon (very steep/long grade) we're able to maintain 65mph.

I would love to get a new truck as we're pushing 150K but its not in the budget right now.
A CAI might be an inexpensive way to experiment before buying a new tv.

We also have a "range" in the obd port which keeps it in V-8 mode even when not towing.

The 07's were vulnerable to valve damage due to the v4/v8 gimmick.

I also agree with making sure the Yukon is current with new plugs/wires.

Let us know how it goes.

infowars is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 AM   #16

Quote:
It has the 3.83 rear.
GM trucks never came with a 3:83 gear ratio... I think you meant to say 3:73 ?

2016 F150 2.7 4X4 CrewCab ShortBed 6Speed 3:55's
2019 Jayco Octane 222 SL Toyhauler
2016 HD Dyna S & 2019 HD FLSL
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:49 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Travco View Post
GM trucks never came with a 3:83 gear ratio... I think you meant to say 3:73 ?
Yeah. My mistake. I must have fat-fingered the numbers when I replied earlier. Sorry for the confusion.
kerplooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:45 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIME2CAMP View Post
Buy a scangage and plug it into the OBD port. Watch water temp and trans temp. They will tell you how hard the TV is working.
Donít waste your money. Itís obvious that the Yukon is not up to the task. Yes you need a larger TV.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by infowars View Post
I installed a K&N last year and it seemed to give it a bit more juice.
Our Avalanche has the 5.3 as well but has the 3:73 gears.
The trailer weighs about 6300# loaded.
When heading over Mt. Hood, Oregon (very steep/long grade) we're able to maintain 65mph.

I would love to get a new truck as we're pushing 150K but its not in the budget right now.
A CAI might be an inexpensive way to experiment before buying a new tv.

We also have a "range" in the obd port which keeps it in V-8 mode even when not towing.

The 07's were vulnerable to valve damage due to the v4/v8 gimmick.

I also agree with making sure the Yukon is current with new plugs/wires.

Let us know how it goes.
I would love to see your rig maintain 65mph over Mt Hood. I could do it in my Super Duty but it would be unsafe. There are a couple of curves where you would lose momentum and probably have to get down to 2nd gear at 6000 Tom to get up speed again. I drive over 26 once a month.
K@N filters have a use in engines that are used in competition. These are normally torn down to maintain them at peak power. Use on passenger vehicles is problematic because there is more dirt injested into the engine. Call Blackstone and discuss it with them. They have the facts on the increase in contaminants in the oil. Thatís where it ends up. The engine wears faster. I donít believe that any of the truck makers recommend these filters. On my 96 F150 I put on a K@N until my MAF sensor failed because of all the dirt on it. I cleaned it and reinstalled a proper air filter and the problem didnít occur again. I only had 279k on the truck when I sold it.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 05:29 AM   #20

How about the truck in the picture.

Quote:
Hey everyone. I just picked up a 2009 KZ Coyote the others day. The trailers dry weight is about 4k lb. I have a 2002 Yukon XL 1500 that I used to tow my Bayside Popup with ease. However, when I got hooked up to the Coyote, the old Yukon really seemed to struggle on the hills and inclines on the highway. The TV has north of 230,000 miles on it, so maybe that 5.3 is getting tired. I've never pulled a camper this heavy before, but it almost feels like I have the old cattle trailer behind me. When I got home the wheels were cool, so I dont think the brakes were dragging. What are your thoughts? Are other, newer trucks bogging down with this kind of trailer, or do I need to be thinking a new TV is in order for reasons other than mileage? Thanks for any help you can provide!
Bet it will pull your trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_7719.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	536.2 KB
ID:	258270  

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote