Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer3025 View Post
First off to all who think the short bed is a disaster waiting to happen. This could be a factor most definitely if you don't have any driving skills towing or backing. If you can't back your trailer into a spot without jack knifing your rig, then maybe you should practice more or go out and buy a slider, or long bed truck.

Our 5er had the 88 corners, and I have never even come close to making contact, and I don't have a slider. It works for me, and I don't think people should tell others that they absolutely need a slider if they might not. I certainly don't believe everything I read on the Internet, and I'm sure the experts won't believe me either. I really don't care. Hope the OP can sift through all this and make his own informed decision on what he really needs.

We fulltime and are on the road every week, and most places I can find to stay are all back ins, not pull throughs. All the smart people and the snowbirds make reservations for those well in advance. We're new to to this as far as full timers go (7 months) , and terrible planners. So we get stuck with back in's. It's tough with a 43 footer but we don't have any dents in the cab yet.
As I stated before:

In my humble opinion their are two type of users with short box trucks who tow a 5er.

"Those who tow with a slider hitch and those who wish they had the slider hitch after they hit the cab."

This is like your vehicle and RV insurance: "You do not need this until you have your accident than it is required."

The only time that I will extend the hitch is in campgrounds and when I back into my driveway, a very narrow street and need to stay off neighbors lawns.

Jim W.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:24 PM   #16

Thanks for all feedback so far. The reasons that I am trying to avoid a slider are:

1) no one makes a direct fit slider for the ram factory pucks. It requires an additional adapter in addition to the sliding hitch.

2) the extra weight of the slider and the adapter will not allow me to remove the setup without the help of a few other people.

The setup I am eyeing up is the B&W rvk3600 which comes in two pieces to allow me to remove it by myself.

Thanks again for the advice. Keep em coming.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvallee View Post
Thanks for all feedback so far. The reasons that I am trying to avoid a slider are:

1) no one makes a direct fit slider for the ram factory pucks. It requires an additional adapter in addition to the sliding hitch.

2) the extra weight of the slider and the adapter will not allow me to remove the setup without the help of a few other people.

The setup I am eyeing up is the B&W rvk3600 which comes in two pieces to allow me to remove it by myself.

Thanks again for the advice. Keep em coming.
I too have a Ram truck although it I not as new as yours. I have a set of rails that the slider hitch mounts to; mine is a Reese manual slider hitch.
When I want to remove this hitch from the truck I use a chain hoist mounted to the rafters in the garage. I will lift the hitch out with the hoist and then drive the truck away. I then lower the hitch on to a roll about platform and put this in the corner of the garage. I have been doing this since the truck was new and I have no problems in removing or installing the hitch.

Jim W.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:03 PM   #18

Jim,

How often would you say that you have to use the "slider" on your hitch?
Old 03-19-2015, 04:43 PM   #19

I have a Ram 3500 Megacab with a slider hitch and pulled a Cardinal for 7 years. Most of the time you don't need it but we like forrest service campgrounds, state parks and places like Yellowstone where we found the slider essential. Just learn your maximum turn radius and give yourself a little pad for uneven ground. Most of the newer 5ers give you more turning radius built into the front cap so I wouldn't lose sleep either way you go.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-19-2015, 07:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Jim,

How often would you say that you have to use the "slider" on your hitch?
I used the slider at least every time I bring the camper home and put it in the driveway. That would be at least 12 times a year and any time I am in a tight camp ground.

Jim W
Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #21

Just to update anyone interested...I ended up going with the B&W RVK3600 which fits the factory pucks. It is a non-sliding hitch. I have it set to just one inch to the rear of the axle. I can make a 80 degree turn and still have about 3" between the trailer and cab. Obviously I did this in a flat parking lot, so pitches in terrain may prove otherwise. I think I was more worried about the tires separating from the rims in such a drastic turn. They were contorted a lot.

Anyways, I am more than happy with the set up. It tows flawlessly.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Obviously I did this in a flat parking lot, so pitches in terrain may prove otherwise. I think I was more worried about the tires separating from the rims in such a drastic turn. They were contorted a lot.
I debated on this for a long time, I also decided to go with the B&W Drop In. I plan on doing more dispersed camping than hitting the parks as that's more our thing.

I'd decided that if I needed a slider, I was doing something wrong. Since most of the campers we're looking at are triple axle, I didn't want to cause more issues turning to sharply.

A friend of mine with an F350 short bed managed to hit his cab with a Slider, due to not using it when he didn't think he'd need to (Pitched on him).

With my TV, I'm not as worried about setting it an inch behind the axle, should give me a bit more clearance to make the turns.
Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
better to have and not need than to need and not have. I have moved up to a MH but went 11 years with the slider, only used it 3 or 4 times but was still glad it was there.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #24

I have one and in the last 3 years used it 3 or 4 times. It is handy when backing down a steep hill and the truck is still on top of the hill - give you more room between the top of the truck bed and the bottom of the trailer overhang. That 9" is all I needed.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:12 PM   #25

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Here ya go!

Just installed this into my new RAM Dually Crew Cab.

Mind if I ask what kind of tool box that is? Dimensions? I have been looking at a tool box fuel tank combo but nervous about fit with a 5th wheel.
Thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdavet View Post
Mind if I ask what kind of tool box that is? Dimensions? I have been looking at a tool box fuel tank combo but nervous about fit with a 5th wheel.
Thanks
These boxes are over $1,000 but well worth it. I was lucky and found this one for $300. This ones application is for 94-02 RAM. I used it in my 98 and it just squeaks in the 15. The box that is supposed to fit the 15 is much narrower in width and I would not like that.

So to answer your question it is a ProTec brand box. It is 30" front to back and is bed rail height. REALLY like it!
Old 07-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #27

As a RAM owner I'm quite interested in this discussion as well. After talking to B&W several times, along with a B&W dealer I was quite astonished to hear that using the companion adjustment system, one can locate the pin up to 4" behind the rear axle without nefarious effect on towability -- B&W approve/tested, etc. this is contrary to conventional wisdom, which is to never do that. I'd suggest that today's S/B Mega Cabs have a long wheelbase which will help as well

moreover, the new RAM trucks have apparently optimized the 6'4" bed and axle placement which according to B&W, removes the slider hitch requirement for these trucks when used in combination with the companion adjustment system. Obviously every truck/trailer combo is different -- I have heard of one example thus far (Chevy S/B) where the driver claimed he could execute a full 90 degree jackknife on level pavement of course.

B&W offers both their traditional turnoverball (one hole in the bed) system and a companion hitch that fits the RAM pucks (five really large holes in the bed), as posted earlier. Their slider hitch requires rails.

One small advantage to the RAM puck system is that due to the large footprint (puck spacing) the B&W puck hitch for RAM is rated 5000 lbs higher than the corresponding turnoverball application hitch, which is a single point configuration (rather than four).

I'm guessing there are a number of such rigs out there -- late model S/B RAM with Companion hitch, and that some have tried (if not come close to) a 90 degree maneuver. I'd like to know if the claims are true, as they certainly sound like it.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 PM   #28

Personally I am a long bed type of guy!

The fact is I only add around 150# to my front axle with over 5K pin with the hitch in pic above mounted full forward. So the reality is you really don't remove much weight from the front axle with the hitch behind the rear axle. The front axle is very heavy with the Cummins up there and loosing 150# is not going to hurt a thing.

I am extremely impressed with the RVK3600 pictured above. I towed a combined load of 32,540# this weekend and about 23K of that is the RV. The hitch performed extremely well with no pops cracks or banging at all!

Tags
5th wheel, slide