Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #29

It is the long wheel base frame that you really like or just the 8' bed?

Since I have the long wheel base frame for 2008 MY; I to enjoy the towing ability that the LWB gives you. But I have than have short bed box of 6'-5"! How can that be? I have the MEGA CAB this is built on the long wheel base chassis with a short bed box.

So you really should state that you like the LWB chassis over a short wheel base chassis. Just saying.

Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #30

For what it's worth, the CCLB Ram is actually around 9 inches longer than the Mega Cab with the 6'4 bed.

That's where the Mega Cab gets it's towing ability from, it's the same wheelbase as the CCLB, however the rear axle is further back in the bed. I park next to an F350 almost daily, he's a super crew 6 foot bed. The difference in axle to cab is quite large.

I haven't towed a 5th wheel with my truck yet, but I tow plenty of gooseneck's. I always choose the Rams due to how far back the axle rests, makes for great towing stability, however turning has always suffered (Until recently).

Namlehse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namlehse View Post
For what it's worth, the CCLB Ram is actually around 9 inches longer than the Mega Cab with the 6'4 bed.

That's where the Mega Cab gets it's towing ability from, it's the same wheelbase as the CCLB, however the rear axle is further back in the bed. I park next to an F350 almost daily, he's a super crew 6 foot bed. The difference in axle to cab is quite large.

I haven't towed a 5th wheel with my truck yet, but I tow plenty of gooseneck's. I always choose the Rams due to how far back the axle rests, makes for great towing stability, however turning has always suffered (Until recently).
Not for the model year 2008 they have identical frames for the long bed trucks and the MEGA Cab; wheel base are the same and the over all length is only 2" difference for the QCLB truck. Please check the RAM Body Builders. Com Web site for MY 2008.

Jim
Old 07-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #32

I probably wouldn't worry much if I had a slider hitch. Probably the way to go, that being said though, I have had a 2014 2500 Ram ccsb, and now a 2015 Ram 3500 Mega,sb, and I haven't done any damage to either truck with a non slider hitch.

I have the Rvk3600, and I have had this giant 5er on off camber hills, steep steep hills up and down, through terrain that most people with this type of high end trailer would never go. We do. Now I might be lucky, or just plain dumb luck, but after 2 5th wheels totalling over 30,000 miles and 27 states, I have not needed the slider hitch, and yes I have my fingers crossed.

One thing to point out is that, I always approach the obstacle very very slow, and not only watch the front cap of the trailer, but also the clearance at the top of the bed rail. I think I probably would have made contact if I would have driven fast through these situations like a lot of the knucklehead's I see. Just my .02 cents.

Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, slide