Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Do I need a sway bar?

We have a TT, Salem Cruise Lite, 23', weighs 4,300 being pulled by our 2006 F-150 Lariat 5.4 Triton engine. We have a weight distribution hitch, and have towed it without problems for about 100 miles from the dealership to home. Do I really need sway bars?

I have discussed this with my RV center here, and they said that when a truck passes, we will feel it with or without the sway bars. He said to go without them unless we get excessive sway.

Any thoughts on this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2012, 09:25 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
I would install one as they cost less then $100 bucks. One bad sway could flip over the trailer and injurer people as well. opt on the side of safety. JMO
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #3

If you have the weight properly distributed with the hitch, I doubt you will see any improvement with one of the friction sway bars--which I assume you are referring to.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #4

I have had them on all my trailers the last one i had i wore the pads out of they work great and help alot in windy conditions and when trucks pass wont tow with out one and they.cost less than a 100 bux as said above
85antique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

"excessive sway"? Really?
Any sway is waaay too much as it could quickly amplify into losing control.
I used one on my popup. Made the lashup feel like one single unit.
Buy and use a device.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Okay, I think we have it now!

Just took your advice again, and bought a friction sway bar. We should be good to go now. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Were in the same boat right now. Just sold my 24' tt which I used just a friction sway control (no weight distribution hitch). Worked OK...but never perfect,,,,semi's passing still caused a little push and pull problem that was tolerable.

Now were buying a new 25' tt which is heavier in the front. So now I do plan to buy a weight distribution hitch. The dry hitch weight is 525 lbs. I'm planning to get a 800# Reese trunnion setup. Does this setup come with the ears needed if I want to re-install my old friction sway bar? Or I might opt for the Reese "dual cam" anti-sway if I see that sway is a problem.

A friend of ours has a smaller 22' tt where he says just the weight distribution hitch is enough. He tows with a E-350 where as I tow with a shorter wheelbase Toyota 4-Runner.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
If you have a standard wd hitch then you may have to install the ball for the sway bar on the hitch you will also need to have the ball installed on the side of the TT. If you are looking at the Reese dual cam you may also want to check out equalizer hitch with sway control no need to drill holes in the trailer frame.
Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyes View Post
We have a TT, Salem Cruise Lite, 23', weighs 4,300 being pulled by our 2006 F-150 Lariat 5.4 Triton engine. We have a weight distribution hitch, and have towed it without problems for about 100 miles from the dealership to home. Do I really need sway bars?

I have discussed this with my RV center here, and they said that when a truck passes, we will feel it with or without the sway bars. He said to go without them unless we get excessive sway.

Any thoughts on this?
You need a sway bar to control any sway, exccessive or not, truck passing or not. TT's turning over start with a small sway and then it progresses to the point where you wont be able to stop it especially with a soft spongy F150 suspension and short wheelbase. The people at the RV center dont care if you wreck your rig or not if they have your money.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:50 PM   #10

I used to pull an 8800 lb wilderness TT with a GMC 3/4 ton Suburban using the Reese double cam lock equalizer/sway bar setup. I used that setup for 10 years until I went to a DRW truck as a tow vehicle. That is one of the most dependable and stable tow rigs on the market!