Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 09:26 AM   #1

Do we need WD/Sway Control?

Hello,

I've been lurking here for awhile, but just registered I'm seeking all of you guy's expert advise. We have a Dodge 1 ton dually, it's a V10 gasser. It's just our TV not our daily driver.

We are pulling a 2015 Jayco Jay flight SLX 287BHSW with it. The TT is 33.3 feet long from tounge to bumper and has a 6500lb dry weight. Loaded I'm gonna assume is 7500-7700lbs. We travel with our 4 girls plus my husband and myself.

My question is do we need the weight distribution and sway bar when towing with this set-up? We do have both. Just trying to eliminate extra set-up if not needed.

Thanks in advanced

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 09:28 AM   #2

What is your tongue weight? I would assume since you are a 1 ton dually you would not need the WD. Hook it up and see how much sag you have. That would probably be the best way to tell.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:37 AM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply The tongue weight for the trailer is around 800lbs? That was what a quick search came up with.

Jayco lists the dry hitch weight as 641 if that helps.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #4

I have pulled a 36' Laredo, about 6500lbs since it was empty. I started out with it just on the ball, pulled level, but swayed because that is a lot of surface area to grab wind. Use the hitch. It rides better, is safer, and doesn't take much time.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Most towing experts say you need a weight-distributing hitch for any trailer with tongue weight more than 500 pounds. Your trailer has tongue weight of a lot more than 500 pounds. so yes, you need the WD hitch properly adjusted to distribut about half the tongue weight off the rear axles of your dually.

And along with the WD hitch, you also need excellent sway control or sway prevention. The better WD hitches include excellent sway control. The expensive (over $2000) hitches such as my ProPride include sway prevention.

Most people don't think about sway control until after they have experienced uncontrollable sway. Then they will pay the big bucks to prevent sway.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

Thank you for the responses. Since we already have both the WD hitch and sway control bar, we are going to use them Better safe than sorry!
Old 06-27-2015, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Most towing experts say you need a weight-distributing hitch for any trailer with tongue weight more than 500 pounds. Your trailer has tongue weight of a lot more than 500 pounds. so yes, you need the WD hitch properly adjusted to distribut about half the tongue weight off the rear axles of your dually.
Wouldn't this really depend on the tow vehicle more than just the weight?
500lbs on the back of a 1 ton dually is hardly a lot. However, a midsize SUV would be in trouble.

Sway control would probably be a good idea on that truck with no stability electronics. However, the real need depends on how well the trailer is set up. Nose down with heavy hitch weight is much more stable than nose up with light hitch weight.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #8

Nearly every hitch receiver on the market says W/D for anything over 500lbs tongue weight. There is a reason behind it one is that 500lbs 5ft behind the rear axle is 2500 lbs of lift in front of the axle. It's not so much about the amount of weight but where you place it.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #9

Not sure where you get that. My long wheelbase Ram 2500 has the receiver 4' aft of the centerline of the axle. And my SUV with self leveling air suspension specifically says never to use WD, and is rated to tow 7,716lbs.

The weight reducing effect on a 22' long 7,500lbs diesel pickup with 75% of its weight up front compared to a 15' long, 4500lbs SUV is not the same.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:42 PM   #10

My bet is the receiver is the limiting factor here. Read the sticker or look in the owners manual to find out weight limits of the receiver with and without weight distribution. I have an aftermarket Curt receiver installed on my F-350, so I could run without WD, but I don't.