Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2016, 03:25 PM   #1

Do you change your oil change intervals when towing?

We are embarking on a 2000 mile RV trip this Saturday. My truck computer is saying "50% oil life". I am not sure if the truck adjusts the interval based on any other factors besides mileage. I would like to think the computer knows how often the truck is working hard to give you an accurate oil life statement.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2016, 03:33 PM   #2

I could be wrong but I think it only goes by miles driven or maybe adjusted for engine running time if you have a lot of idling time stuck in traffic. If you are using a quality oil I would go by whatever your manual recommends you do. There is usually a section that may change the intervals based on use such as towing, or driving in extreme heat, or off road conditions. Then I would just do whatever the manual says. If you are close before a big trip it never hurts to change the oil ahead of time and start the trip fresh.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #3

It clearly states in the manual that towing is severe duty.

I'm pulling about 18K thru Colorado on I-70. I changed the oil before my trip as I jus' purchased the tractor and I don't know how old the oil is. I think it had 3K on it. Not everyone baby's their engines. I do, and I don't make it work too hard either. At the end of my 6K loop I'll change it again. I change all the passenger vehicles @5K, and mtcyls 3K.
Old 06-23-2016, 04:57 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our cars do but they're bot Honda's. RPM and temps are part of the equation.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 08:38 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Read the manual. Follow it. You'll be fine.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #6

drive it like you stole it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Read the manual. Follow it. You'll be fine.
x2
You've got the right tool for the job. Use tow/haul mode & engine brake.
I'd follow the DIC as to your service intervals. Your on-board computer ECM tracks a lot of info. this is why it's listed as % and not miles. It's a variable formula. It follows when you've been running WOT (wide open throttle) all afternoon with a strong head wind. Coasting down a 8% grade in 4th gear for 30 mi. it knows.

I have one of those OBD2 scanners that runs real-time I can view on my smart phone. These late model trucks have a lot going on.

The only thing we do while towing is allow a short idle speed cool down after a prolonged WOT stretch or hard pulls to let the TC and exhaust cool slightly. Over time any Turbo can coke oil in the bearing area if shut off while still very hot.

From the D-max supplement:
Engine Oil Life System
The engine oil life system calculates
engine oil life based on vehicle use
and displays the CHANGE ENGINE
OIL SOON message when it is time
to change the engine oil and filter.

Happy trails.

MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
x2
You've got the right tool for the job. Use tow/haul mode & engine brake.
I'd follow the DIC as to your service intervals. Your on-board computer ECM tracks a lot of info. this is why it's listed as % and not miles. It's a variable formula. It follows when you've been running WOT (wide open throttle) all afternoon with a strong head wind. Coasting down a 8% grade in 4th gear for 30 mi. it knows.

I have one of those OBD2 scanners that runs real-time I can view on my smart phone. These late model trucks have a lot going on.

The only thing we do while towing is allow a short idle speed cool down after a prolonged WOT stretch or hard pulls to let the TC and exhaust cool slightly. Over time any Turbo can coke oil in the bearing area if shut off while still very hot.

From the D-max supplement:
Engine Oil Life System
The engine oil life system calculates
engine oil life based on vehicle use
and displays the CHANGE ENGINE
OIL SOON message when it is time
to change the engine oil and filter.

Happy trails.

Thank you. That os the info that I was looking for.

Yes...always tow mode. No exhaust brake on my model. Anf I ALWAYS make sure EGT is below 350 prior to shut down.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:30 AM   #8

JMO, but I like to start out with a fresh oil change before I start on a long trip if possible. Especially summer heat and heavy towing conditions (mountains, etc.)

Easier to change at home than on the road.

If you were closer to 80-85% I wouldn't worry about it.

Depends on where you are going and driving conditions.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:38 AM   #9

I change my oil and rotate my tires way way too often then what the book says. Regardless of use. Before any tow, I change my oil and rotate tires, regardless of when it was done last. Extremely good maintenance will always be way way way cheaper than a new truck.

My new to me 2012. I have changed the il twice before the change oil message popped up. This is the first one I've had with that feature.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 AM   #10

Thanks all for the replies. I ended up changing oil with Rotella synthetic because Oreillys had them on sale with a rebate.

We made it into Denver. Truck did good up to Eisenhower but a little scary coming down. Turbo brake will be the next mod for sure.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467297856437.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	131654Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1467297867996.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	131655
Old 06-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, my Owner's Guide says to go by the messages on the display. One of the messages is to change the oil. The oil change message comes up anywhere between about 3,000 and 10,000 miles, depending on how the truck is driven. My 2012 has the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor that uses several factors, including how hard the engine works, to determine when it's time to turn on the oil change light. Normal oil change interval before that light comes on is 7,500 to 10,000 miles, with no towing and never overloaded. Severe usage oil change interval is 5,000 to 7,500 miles, including most towing. Extreme usage oil change interval is as little as 3,000 miles, including towing at (or above) the GVWR of the tow vehicle, and extreme ambient temps such as very cold or very hot weather conditions.

Per you CAT scale ticket, you were 10,400 GVW on the two truck axles. I'll bet your GVWR is less than 10,000, so that 337RLS is a bit too much trailer for your TV.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:02 AM   #12

On my 2015 RAM the truck knows when you are towing and adjusts the oil life feature accordingly. I didn't know this but when I took the truck in for it's first service the gal handed me a print out and it showed X number of miles towing.

The way engines are built today and the very high quality of engine oils that old school idea of changing oil at 3,000 miles is just crazy. I run 6-8 K on my trucks and I'll run 10K on my Durango.

Bob1340 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing