Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2018, 01:38 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Do you lock your hitch head to the truck?

We will be traveling a lot this year and many places we will drop the trailer and drive to places where we may leave the truck unattended for a day. I would rather not remove the hitch head every day, is there a reliable hitch pin lock? Is it strong enough to use all the time?
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 01:53 PM   #2

These look pretty good:

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/B..._pn=SSC7018447

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Towing/T..._pn=TRIUMAX100

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-U...VVYZN4377Z0E32
Old 01-06-2018, 01:56 PM   #3

I always removed it. Leaving it in makes an already long truck even longer. I even had a small 2x2 receiver welded to my TT A-frame so I could slide it in there for storage.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...n?cm_vc=-10005
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a pin lock but the lock mechanism quickly accumulated grit and grime. One day I went to take it off and the key wouldn’t work. No amount of lubricant could get it clean enough to work. I watched a YouTube video and ten minutes later I had it off using a cheap propane torch. I figured if it was that easy to remove it wasn’t worth much as a theft prevention device. I now keep it in my tool box when I go places where I am worried about it walking off. My toolbox lock isn’t much better but at least it is out of sight.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #5

I didn't have a lock on my hitch for 6+ years and never had one stolen. Then I had 1 stolen and less than 6 months later some other Nagging Nelly took it off, stuck it by my driver's door, and left a lengthy note about how it was illegal to leave it installed when not towing (it's not...).
Next day I bought a locking pin but ended up having to cut it off after the first winter from salt corrosion. So the next one I just started lubing it with WD40 about once a month and haven’t had a problem since with it seizing up.
I know it won't stop a determined theif, but generally this isn't something someone would bother spending more than a few seconds to swipe.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #6

I always removed it. It was a chin wacker at best.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:01 PM   #7

I didn't realize how big of a deal it was for some people to take there hitch out until I came on here. Been around trucks and trailers my whole life and we always left the ball mount in the receiver.
Since I have been made aware that people are funny about this issue, I always say that it you are close enough to touch my hitch YOU ARE TO CLOSE TO MY TRUCK. I keep mine locked in the receiver when traveling.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:11 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I use a simple pin style lock to keep my ball mount from walking away, and remove it when done. It's not too hard to remove one of these, none are burgler proof. Mine just makes it harder.

One of my associates leaves his on his pickup24/7/365 to guard his big "I'm a Truck Driver" mudflaps, I guess to impress the impressable. He tried to remove it to find the pin had welded itself inside the draw bar. Nice......
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:01 AM   #9

I have a locking pin as well. I'm not pulling that heavy SOB out every time we get to the campground. I take it out between trips, and always give the lock a spritz of silicon lube when hook up the next outing. Never been really nervous about someone stealing it, but I know if the pin is locked it isn't gonna come out until I take it out.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:45 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thanks guys. To be clear I only would leave it in for a couple weeks at a time so not worried about it getting stuck or rusted in. Just don't want to heft that 70 pound hunk twice a day if I don't have to.

I was a commercial fisherman and later owned a painting business, both for more than a decade so lifting is normally not an issue for me but I am having rotator cuff surgery this month and will still be re-habbing when spring gets here so the less I have to move the heavy stuff the better.

Nobody mentioned one bending or breaking so I guess I will just pick one. Thanks for the input.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:09 AM   #11

Better take em out. FWIW ...A neighbor always left his in and one day he walked around behind his truck and caught his shin on it and it put a nice gouge in his shin. The cut got really infected and put him in the hospital. A couple of weeks later he was dead from the infection. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:26 AM   #12

I leave mine installed when camping and need to drive around, I use the Bolt Lock. It uses your ignition key so you don't add another key to the 500 you already have to take when camping. I have had zero issues with it.
24shofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnfool View Post
Better take em out. FWIW ...A neighbor always left his in and one day he walked around behind his truck and caught his shin on it and it put a nice gouge in his shin. The cut got really infected and put him in the hospital. A couple of weeks later he was dead from the infection. Better safe than sorry.
Wow, that's unfortunate and unexpected!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I run a cable thru mine. It's a B&W and they could take the head of it if someone wanted it. The other end of the cable goes thru the see-thru tail gate cause it's not locked either.
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote