Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2013, 06:53 PM   #15

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you not have the factory ( option ) flip up mirrors? The flip up mirrors work off the same power control and plug into the same wiring for the heater, as the 5x7" non flip. May be able to get some from auto salvage yard 2003 to 2008 are the same( 95% certain ) and about 20mins a door to change them.

Yes, I have the flip up mirrors. But these mirrors do not view well in towing. Just thought larger mirrors with the ability to go out further would be better.

Patsy

YodaRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
Yes, I have the flip up mirrors. But these mirrors do not view well in towing. Just thought larger mirrors with the ability to go out further would be better.

Patsy
I don't think you'll find any mirrors that go out further than those. I had them on my 2000 Ram , even adapted a set to my 93 Dakota before I got the Ram. By not view well do you mean blurred by vibration at speed or are you having trouble backing up with them?

Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
I'd like to replace the ones of have on the truck and mine are heated. Is it possible to get some that telescope out for that little extra help at times.
Back up to post #7 in this thread, Where Rusty said he replaced his itty bitty mirrors with the PowrVision tow mirrors.

Click on the following link and you'll see where PowerVision makes them for 2004 Dodge 2500. $500 retail is comparable to what Ford charges for similar functionality.

Power Vision Mirrors | The Ultimate Towing Mirror | Dodge Models

On edit: Just for grins, I checked ETrailer.com. Yep, they don't have the PowerVision brand, but they do have another brand:
K Source Custom Towing Mirrors for Dodge Ram Pickup 2004 - KS60113-114C

And here's another brand, available from Summit Racing. The one in the link is just #86021 for the driver's side, but they also have #86022 for the passenger's side.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ci...2500/year/2004
Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
That is what I am looking at. THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Click on the following link and you'll see where PowerVision makes them for 2004 Dodge 2500. $500 retail is comparable to what Ford charges for similar functionality.

Power Vision Mirrors | The Ultimate Towing Mirror | Dodge Models

On edit: Just for grins, I checked ETrailer.com. Yep, they don't have the PowerVision brand, but they do have another brand:
K Source Custom Towing Mirrors for Dodge Ram Pickup 2004 - KS60113-114C

And here's another brand, available from Summit Racing. The one in the link is just #86021 for the driver's side, but they also have #86022 for the passenger's side.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ci...2500/year/2004

Old 04-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #19

Some states require mirrors that extend out far enough to see behind the trailer. It matters not if your state has no such law, you are subject to traffic laws for the state where you are driving. I have a cousin that refuses to buy and use extension mirrors when towing his TT. Both he and his wife end up arguing and shouting trying to back into a campsite, simply because he cannot see behind the rig.
If you are alert, you can buy strap-on tow mirrors for about $15 ea. I bought an extra set at a yard sale for $3 ea.; in case one breaks or someone "borrows" the set on the truck.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Some states require mirrors that extend out far enough to see behind the trailer. It matters not if your state has no such law, you are subject to traffic laws for the state where you are driving.

If you are alert, you can buy strap-on tow mirrors for about $15 ea. I bought an extra set at a yard sale for $3 ea.; in case one breaks or someone "borrows" the set on the truck.
Ray, I did buy a strap on mirror (Wal-Mart) for $29 and tried it out. Before the mirror could see nothing concerning the side or back of my trailer. After strap on mirror could see the door handle on side of trailer and basically that was the difference. I want to be able to see at least the end of the trailer to know where it ends when trying to back up. That's why I thought "towing mirrors" would help me.

Just don't want to buy something online and then realize it's the same as the stap on mirrors in capability. I live in a small North Central Florida town with no Dodge dealership to go and ask. My mirrors are 12" out from side of truck (12" means the end) and 1" from truck to beginning of mirror then 7" tall.

Am looking at: Towing Mirror BestInAUTO View Champ Hot Power Part Number 203503 - TruckChamp as it states the mirror extends to 16" giving me 4 more inches. appears the mirror extends futher than 12" in the regular position. Is this enough to help me see to the end of my trailer?

Patsy

Old 04-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #21

I have the suction cup mount extenders that stick on my stock mirrors. They actually do stay on but you have to clean the cup and stock mirror with alcohol before mounting them. If they ever came off they do have a safety cord to keep them on the truck. Without them, I can't see the rear corners of the trailer so I definitely need the DW to help me back up.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #22

Patsy those appear to be good towing mirrors, and would serve you well. I only have the cheap strap-on mirrors, been using that kind since 1992. When backing into a site you still need a ground guide though. If you travel alone consider a wireless backup camera to help see where you are backing, and what is directly behind the trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #23

Ditto on the ground guide. Driver + guide, maybe 2 guides. More than that, it becomes a zoo of differing opinions. Been there, done that.
As to the mirrors, I think now all the mfgs have a power extending tow option--Ford was first, I think. The best thing about power is to be able to extend them after leaving out and I have forgotten to put them out.
It is possible to tow without extra mirror length--the couple with us last summer went all way to Alaska and back with the standard GM mirrors. Can't count the times he changed lanes in front of others and was oblivious of the other vehicle. He's just lucky, I guess.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #24

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks Ray, I went ahead and ordered the mirrors. And I do have a wireless magnet mount backup mirror to put on the bumper.

Patsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Patsy those appear to be good towing mirrors, and would serve you well. I only have the cheap strap-on mirrors, been using that kind since 1992. When backing into a site you still need a ground guide though. If you travel alone consider a wireless backup camera to help see where you are backing, and what is directly behind the trailer.