Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2016, 10:25 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm amazed that, "Your Mechanic" replaced parts and did not solve the problem. That means that they are not technicians who IMHO would/should diagnose by testing each part involved in the suspension/steering.

They are parts changers and that's costing you $$$$$ that may not need to be spent. My question is why have you used these folks if they don't diagnose???

Every part on every vehicle is there for a reason. Every part can be checked to determine if it is still working as it was designed to work. If it is not working it will exhibit symptoms and it's the symptoms that lead TECHNICIANS to the source of the problem.

IMO I believe you should find a shop that really knows how to diagnose instead of folks that change parts until it is fixed. I wouldn't trust that they could fix the problem correctly.

If you know of a good alignment shop that's where I'd go. Vehicles require an alignment for three reasons: 1. Another shop aligned it incorrectly. 2. A driver hit something and bent a part. 3. Some steering or suspension items are worn out. THAT"S IT!!! No other reason.

In all three cases the shop MUST inspect and replace every bent or worn component before aligning the vehicle. So a good alignment shop will properly inspect, then replace worn/bent components and then perform a proper alignment.

TeJay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 11:28 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I'm amazed that, "Your Mechanic" replaced parts and did not solve the problem. That means that they are not technicians who IMHO would/should diagnose by testing each part involved in the suspension/steering.

They are parts changers and that's costing you $$$$$ that may not need to be spent. My question is why have you used these folks if they don't diagnose???

Every part on every vehicle is there for a reason. Every part can be checked to determine if it is still working as it was designed to work. If it is not working it will exhibit symptoms and it's the symptoms that lead TECHNICIANS to the source of the problem.

IMO I believe you should find a shop that really knows how to diagnose instead of folks that change parts until it is fixed. I wouldn't trust that they could fix the problem correctly.

If you know of a good alignment shop that's where I'd go. Vehicles require an alignment for three reasons: 1. Another shop aligned it incorrectly. 2. A driver hit something and bent a part. 3. Some steering or suspension items are worn out. THAT"S IT!!! No other reason.

In all three cases the shop MUST inspect and replace every bent or worn component before aligning the vehicle. So a good alignment shop will properly inspect, then replace worn/bent components and then perform a proper alignment.

TeJay
Absolutely the best advice on this post.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:06 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Is your truck a lifted 4x4?
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #18

Your statements have caused me to think the mechanic who is working on your truck is simply using your money to throw parts at the problem hoping something corrects this condition,
While you may think it will be more expensive, I recommend taking your truck to your local Chrysler dealer for repairs; I suspect when you get the final bill it will be less than what that mechanic is doing. After all, if this wobble is prevelant in Dodge trucks and Jeep, who better to know how to remedy it than the dealers service shop.
This wheel shimmy/death wobble is a mechanical condition, whether it be wheel alignment, worn parts, bent parts, or a combination of all three.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:15 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had this DW in a lifted 2001 Jeep Cherokee with big tires. I cured it myself. It was not easy. Everything has to be right. But we have no info on the truck so all we can do is the same thing the shop seems to be doing. Without lots of info and a OP that is here, well,, we are kind of done.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, tow