Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #1

Dodge Death Wobble....to tow or not to tow?

Our truck has the "death wobble". We are needed for some help in Florida and it is a 24 hour drive from Canada to Florida. Would the weight of our 5th Wheel Cougar help our death wobble issue? Would this be unsafe to pull our trailer?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2016, 09:40 PM   #2

IMO, yes. OTOH, it might be a bit safer if you limited your speed to the minimum 45 MPH on interstates.
I strongly suggest you have it repaired prior to your trip.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:24 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It would be a prudent move to have it checked out before your trip if for no other reason than to make sure nothing is on the brink of breaking causing a loss of steering.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why chance it, get it fixed now.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My opinion: Get it fixed first.

You are responsible for operating a safe vehicle. Knowing you have a potentially unsafe vehicle and driving it anyways is unconscionable. You have the good possibility of hurting more than only yourself and your own property, and that is just flat wrong.

If you must travel to FL, find another way to get there or find a way to delay the trip until you get the problems you know about fixed.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:06 PM   #6

How long have you known about YOUR trucks front end issues?

NO the 5th wheel weight will NOT help your trucks front end issues!

YES it would be unsafe to tow....it is unsafe for you to drive truck period......it's called 'DEATH Wobble' for a reason.

Get truck front end issues FIXED.

And if you can't get it done before going to FL.........FLY
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You really didn't say much about when and how it occurs, or about the truck itself, but here's what I can offer. I would have it looked at before your trip. A good suspension shop can look at it, confirm proper alignment, and inspect for worn components - ball joints, track bar joints, tie rod ends, etc. If all that is good, then look really, really hard at your tires. Is the air pressure up or are they low? Are the tires of the proper load range for the vehicle? Is there any irregular wear on the tires? Finally, how many miles on the tires? I have found that a good 80 to 90% of these complaints over the years are related to the tires in one way or another. Sometimes I could fix a truck simply by adding the proper air pressure, sometimes rotating worn tires, or sometimes replacing the tires with new ones that haven't worn the sidewalls, or that have the proper load range for the truck. (I had one customer with a 2500 4x4 that insisted on running 45 psi in the tires. Way below spec. When I aired them up to spec, the problem went away. He wasn't happy, because he didn't like the ride quality - thats the reason he reduced the air pressure in the first place.)
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #8

'Death Wobble' tells you everything you need to know.

Get it fixed. Even if safe (which I do not see how it could be safe) the fatigue from driving with the steering wheel vibrating...ugh. How far do you have to drive? 1,700 miles? That is a long way.
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by EleanorW View Post
Our truck has the "death wobble". We are needed for some help in Florida and it is a 24 hour drive from Canada to Florida. Would the weight of our 5th Wheel Cougar help our death wobble issue? Would this be unsafe to pull our trailer?
What year is the truck?

IMO I would not risk it. If this has been going on for any length of time then you already have compromised components in there.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

Thanks very much for all your feed back...it was helpful and confirmed our thought....I know I didn't give much of a back ground yesterday,we were at our wits end. We had planned on leaving Tuesday Jan 26. On Monday, (the day before) my husband was driving the truck and when he hit a bump on the highway this sent the truck into a violent shake. He called our mechanic right away and got the truck in. We learned it was called a "death wobble" and is a common problem with Dodge trucks and Jeeps. (you can check it out on you tube) So from Tuesday to Friday they had our truck and thankfully had the time to work on it most of the days. They tried almost every conceivable front end part and it has not cured the "death wobble". Someone suggested that maybe weight on the back would help. This is where you came in. We figured that perhaps there might have been someone that had pulled their trailer and said that the wobble was not there becasue of the extra weight. So hence our question to you was put forth. We are not planning on going if our truck has not been cured of the "death wobble". We agree, the name itself is convincing enough. So as of now...we have ordered yet another part and are hoping that will be the fix and that we can safely drive to our destination and help out some friends.
Again thanks and we apreciated your responses.
Old 01-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You are really not giving us enough info on your truck to help you. Good luck.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by EleanorW View Post
Thanks very much for all your feed back...it was helpful and confirmed our thought....I know I didn't give much of a back ground yesterday,we were at our wits end. We had planned on leaving Tuesday Jan 26. On Monday, (the day before) my husband was driving the truck and when he hit a bump on the highway this sent the truck into a violent shake. He called our mechanic right away and got the truck in. We learned it was called a "death wobble" and is a common problem with Dodge trucks and Jeeps. (you can check it out on you tube) So from Tuesday to Friday they had our truck and thankfully had the time to work on it most of the days. They tried almost every conceivable front end part and it has not cured the "death wobble". Someone suggested that maybe weight on the back would help. This is where you came in. We figured that perhaps there might have been someone that had pulled their trailer and said that the wobble was not there becasue of the extra weight. So hence our question to you was put forth. We are not planning on going if our truck has not been cured of the "death wobble". We agree, the name itself is convincing enough. So as of now...we have ordered yet another part and are hoping that will be the fix and that we can safely drive to our destination and help out some friends.
Again thanks and we apreciated your responses.
Have you/they looked at the TIRES? Nothing was mentioned about the tires in your post, only that a lot of parts are being replaced. Are any of these parts truly out of spec? You are probably spending lots of money on un-needed parts. Quit replacing parts needlessly until the tires have been addressed. You may actually have to replace the tires, depending on the age and wear. Are the tires the proper load range for the truck and the load? As I said before, pressure is critical. If you can substitute another set of tires for testing - do it. This condition occurs when the front wheels hit bumps or dips at an angle. For instance, driving across a railroad track at an angle rather than straight on. One wheel reacts before the other, and it sets up an oscillation in the steering. Please check out the tires before replacing any more parts.
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does your truck have a steering stabilizer installed?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:02 AM   #14

FILL IN YOUR PUBLIC PROFILE!!!

Year, make model, engine, 4x4, SRW or DRW LB or SB? same with RV

Tags
dodge, tow