Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
jak

Dodge Ram

I have a 2013 4x4 Ram w/hemi, 6' bed, extended cab. I pull a #5000 trailer 26' with no problem, however, compared to my Chevy the rear end feels "mushy" to me and I have trailer sway from time to time, something I never had with the Chevy. I have a reese weight distribution system and reese anti sway bar,same set up I had on the Chevy. Any of you other fellas who own a Dodge notice this? I set everything up by the book when I swapped over to the Dodge. I love the truck and it comfortable and has a heap of power but I am a little disappointed in the way it tows, I had more confidence with my Chevy which had 0 sway.I asked my dealer and they told me it was because of the coil springs? Any aftermarket add ons to stiffen up the rear end? Any other tips?
Thanks
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 06:04 PM   #2

I had a 2011 1500 and now a 2013 2500 and never had a sway issue with either one. Although both of those have leaf springs and not the coil springs. Perhaps that could be part of it.
smonagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:33 PM   #3

JMHO: Chalk up another one for the engineers who insist on messing with vehicles " just to deal with a perceived problem" 2% of our customers complained about the stiff ride, so we changed the suspension. Well 98% said nothing and get a vehicle that isn't good as a truck , because the 2% wanted a cushy feel to the suspension.
Chev. went away from rear coil springs , mid to late 60's, to make a more stable truck but the new ( young ) engineers don't look back, that far.
Please excuse my rant. But in 34 years at Chrysler , I saw to much change , for the sake of change, every time a new crop of engineers was hired, they had to make their mark on the vehicles , right or wrong.
Rear air shocks, would be the least expensive to try.
Do you have your rear axle weight loaded for towing ?
To make sure your running the correct rear tire pressure.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:12 PM   #4

How about your tires? Did you replace them recently? Are they the same rating as was on your chevy? On my work truck when I replace the tires with identical ones, the rear end is mushy for about 600 to 800 miles and then it drives fine. I can move the steering wheel briskly and it's like the rear end is on ice.
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:10 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Firestone makes air bags that go inside the existing rear springs that should take care of the mush. Make sure your tires are rated to be used for tow and not the P-rated ones. A lot of things have changed over the years in trucks. I had a '74 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with front and rear leaf springs and a solid front axle. My 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with coils all around is the best riding and handling truck I have ever had.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
JMHO: Chalk up another one for the engineers who insist on messing with vehicles " just to deal with a perceived problem" 2% of our customers complained about the stiff ride, so we changed the suspension. Well 98% said nothing and get a vehicle that isn't good as a truck , because the 2% wanted a cushy feel to the suspension.
Chev. went away from rear coil springs , mid to late 60's, to make a more stable truck but the new ( young ) engineers don't look back, that far.
Please excuse my rant. But in 34 years at Chrysler , I saw to much change , for the sake of change, every time a new crop of engineers was hired, they had to make their mark on the vehicles , right or wrong.
Rear air shocks, would be the least expensive to try.
Do you have your rear axle weight loaded for towing ?
To make sure your running the correct rear tire pressure.
Skip, you are 100% right.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:41 AM   #7

Jak, I would start with the tires. We to have a 2013, ours is a 3500 and Dodge put those stupid Ameritrac tires on, they are probably the worst I've seen, I'm not saying they are unsafe, but they develop a flat spot just by sitting overnight and they seem to be a little soft in the sides. If your truck also has these Ameritrac tires that could be the reason for your problem. Inflating them to the max. helps somewhat. Just a wild guess.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:31 AM   #8
jak

Firestone makes air bags that go inside the existing rear springs that should take care of the mush. Make sure your tires are rated to be used for tow and not the P-rated ones. A lot of things have changed over the years in trucks. I had a '74 Chevy 1/2 ton 4x4 with front and rear leaf springs and a solid front axle. My 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 with coils all around is the best riding and handling truck I have ever had.[/QUOTE]

Did you install the air bags? Did it help? This truck has 20" tires, I will have to look at what brand. BTW I have the towing package, I made it clear to my dealer that I would be towing an RV. I agree with the ride, that is why I switched brand but not happy with the way it tows.
jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jak View Post
This truck has 20" tires, I will have to look at what brand. BTW I have the towing package, I made it clear to my dealer that I would be towing an RV. I agree with the ride, that is why I switched brand but not happy with the way it tows.
Now just as a point of clarification , are your 20" tires " P " rated ?
99% of salesmen/ dealers, don't understand towing and will tell you anything to make a sale.
Remember that last week that salesman was at Big 5, selling running shoes.
Last dealership I was at, the owners , incentive plan for the salesmen was to fire the low producer of sales for the month.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Looking at your specs and talking with my son who has a Ram like you have, it's the stock tires that give you the mush. There are E rated 20's but they are not cheap. That and the bags in the springs would probably fix the sway. Do more research on it. Ram made the 1500 ride nice because people that tow heavy usually get a 3/4 ton. You're Ram should be fine towing your TT as long as you don't load the bed with lots a weight.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote