Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #1

Getting a new tow vehicle for our 315BHS Jayco Eagle TT. We have a suburban that is sorta falling apart and it is time to turn in our 1500 Ram truck so we are looking into the 2500 but does it make a difference really between the short and the long bed when it comes to towing??? Right now our wheel base on our Suburban is 126"; our 1500 Ram (short) 142" and the new 2500's are short=140" and long 162"

I am just thinking since the 2500 is actually 14 inches longer that the suburban we use now.

Does a longer wheel base really make a difference, I guess, is my main question.....I really...really want the short bed...

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2005, 03:31 PM   #2

Getting a new tow vehicle for our 315BHS Jayco Eagle TT. We have a suburban that is sorta falling apart and it is time to turn in our 1500 Ram truck so we are looking into the 2500 but does it make a difference really between the short and the long bed when it comes to towing??? Right now our wheel base on our Suburban is 126"; our 1500 Ram (short) 142" and the new 2500's are short=140" and long 162"

I am just thinking since the 2500 is actually 14 inches longer that the suburban we use now.

Does a longer wheel base really make a difference, I guess, is my main question.....I really...really want the short bed...

Thanks

Old 03-10-2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If you're sure that you'll be sticking with the TT, the short bed will be fine. Towing a 5th wheel with a short bed truck may produce problems with RV-to-cab interference that require use of a sliding 5th wheel hitch - this isn't a problem with long bed trucks.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:50 PM   #4

THANKS!!! that is so good to hear....the big beds are just "ugly" to me!!!!! I love my Ram truck...we are probably sticking it out with the TT for AT LEAST another 3 years (the lease term of the truck) until the kids get bigger. Then we really want to look into a 5th.

Another question...we are getting a 4X4 with the Ram....I always heard those aren't good to tow with??? Is that true???......We really want the 4X4 for our MI winters!

Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 05:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The 4x4 can pose a problem with 5th wheels due to its height. The high bed rails make it difficult to get the 5th wheel level and still have a minimum of 6" clearance between the truck's bed rails and the bottom of the 5th wheel's overhang.

With a TT, you can compensate for the height of the truck with a dropped hitch ball mount that fits into the truck's receiver. As the drops get more severe, however, the weight ratings of the ball mounts/adapters decrease. Be sure that any offset adapters, etc. are rated to handle the weight of your TT.

Rusty
Old 03-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #6

I thank you so much for your info...you actually probably helped me decided on my suburban a few years ago......anyway.....I really don't understand you saying "as the drops get more severe".....I don't know what that means. Does it all depend upon the hitch tow package thingie??? I am going to order the 4.10 ratio thing......please go into detail about what we really need to look for....we do have the sway bars etc ....I think the GVW of our TT is 9400 not sure and the book on the Ram says 10800.......I just want to be sure this will pull our camper ok..and safely

thanks again
Lisa

thanks again
Old 03-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All long as you don't plan on going to a big 5VR then the SB will tow just fine. I too have a SB and tow a 5VR but have invested in the SuperGlide Auto glode 5VR hitch. As far as towing TT's you will love the short bed. I would only reccomend the takeing a look at the 3500 for the extra cargo/hauling capacity
Old 03-11-2005, 04:46 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lisascs:
II really don't understand you saying "as the drops get more severe".....I don't know what that means. Does it all depend upon the hitch tow package thingie??? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Lisa,

With a 4x4 truck, your challenge will be to get the TT to tow very close to a level attitude. If you used a straight ball mount (the adapter that slides into your receiver frame on the truck and to which the trailer hitch ball bolts), the nose of the trailer will be too high because the 4x4 truck (and, therefore, the hitch receiver) are sitting higher. Because of this, offset or "dropped" ball mounts are available. Of course, depending on the hitch you have, some weight distributing hitches allow for some range of vertical (height) adjustment on the hitch head itself, so this offset ball mount discussion wouldn't apply.

However, since we don't know what hitch you're currently using, let's assume that the offset ball mount will be used. In that case, for example, a 6" drop ball mount would have the flat surface to which the flange on the trailer hitch ball mates 6" lower than the straight ball mount. The good news is that this 6" offset will lower the nose of the trailer by 6" and (if that's the correct offset) bring the trailer level. The bad news is that this 6" offset means that, everything else being equal, the adapter is not as strong as a straight adapter. Therefore, you would want to check the ratings stamped on the adapter to ensure that it is adequate for the GVWR and tongue weight of the TT - although the tongue weight opens up a weight distributing hitch topic that's a whole other discussion!!

By the way, I'm not sure about the 3rd generation Dodges, but the factory hitch receiver on my 2nd generation Dodge is rated for 500 lbs tongue weight and 5000 lbs trailer weight without a weight distributing hitch and 1000 lbs tongue weight and 10000 lbs trailer weight with a weight distributing hitch. Therefore, if your TT has a 9400 lb GVWR, then you should be using weight distributing bar(s) in addition to the sway bars.

Does this help??

Rusty
Old 03-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Rusty;
The 3rd gen. Dodge receiver is rated at 1200 lbs Hitch weight and 12000 lbs trailer weight with weight distributing hitch.
I have a Reece hitch that has a few diferent holes in it. It is held together with 2 large bolts. It is adjustiable up or down depending on the height of your tow vehicle's receiver. The ball also tilts for smaller adjustments. I just followed the instructions that came with my hitch and went to a level parking lot and took mesurments and adjusted my hitch acordingly.

Bill
Old 03-11-2005, 05:44 AM   #10

Thanks again...I will have my husband take a look at your responses since I am still not all sure about this hitch stuff....I do know that the hitch we now use can be turned upside down (either higher or lower)....does that make sense???? And "I think" we do have those weight dist bars....not sure though......

Lisa
Old 03-11-2005, 07:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WA4SLC:
The 3rd gen. Dodge receiver is rated at 1200 lbs Hitch weight and 12000 lbs trailer weight with weight distributing hitch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks for that update. I'm glad they've increased the WD rating.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a Reese hitch that has a few diferent holes in it. It is held together with 2 large bolts. It is adjustiable up or down depending on the height of your tow vehicle's receiver. The ball also tilts for smaller adjustments. I just followed the instructions that came with my hitch and went to a level parking lot and took mesurments and adjusted my hitch acordingly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep that's why I said "...some weight distributing hitches allow for some range of vertical (height) adjustment on the hitch head itself, so this offset ball mount discussion wouldn't apply...." If Lisa has a hitch with sufficient range of adjustment, that's great! I sincerely hope, for her sake, such is the case.

Rusty
Old 03-12-2005, 08:45 PM   #12
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
lisascs,

I tow my 5ver with a short bed Ram 3500 with no problems at all. I am sure towing a TT with the proper hitch and anti sway equipment, it would make little difference between the short or long bed. Please see all equipment listed in our signture section below.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:42 AM   #13

lisascs,

The longer the wheelbase the better the tow vehical, better ride, larger fuel tank, and more storage.

Yes, the short bed will work, it just is not the better of the two choices.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #14

Pond Piggies Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lisascs:
Getting a new tow vehicle for our 315BHS Jayco Eagle TT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problems towing with a 4X4. Your trailer dealer has the drop hitch, and putting the head on is no biggie. The RV dealer can do it if you don't have the tools. See my signature below, and my truck has all ready been to Missouri, Tennessee, Southern Illinois, and Indiana. I have no problems at all. Good luck with your truck.

Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote