Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
OK FOLKS...

The thread is dancing on the edge of closing for all the inappropriate references.

The OP received an answer yesterday. Please avoid further trolling that might ensure responses that close the thread.
Thank you for this suggestion.
Seems it has been a long cold winter.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:10 AM   #16

So the towing mirrors are not extendable, per se. But the actual mirror part on mine pivots up into tow mode. I only have mine up for towing, but I will say I think they work A LOT better in the up position. Not sure, but I suspect the aerodynamics is quite a bit better when down.
Here's a comparison:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAM3.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	58617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20140202-00671.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	551.0 KB
ID:	58618  

TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #17

WoW....some of you on here really sound like you have RAM mirror jealousy issues!! I call them "Shrek Mode" when they are flipped up!!

I've owned 4 of these trucks and they have all had the same type towing mirrors. The most common situation I would find myself driving with my mirrors in "tow mode" but not towing anything was when I forgot to flip them down after putting my 5th wheel back in storage or dropping it at the campground.

Another situation is when I am going to pick the 5th wheel up and decide to go ahead and flip them up before I leave the house so I do not forget to flip them up after I hook up and find myself towing down the road with limited visibility.

Some folks that tow a lot during the week just leave them up so they don't have to constantly worry about forgetting to flip them up and it keeps them from having to adjust the mirrors every time they go to tow....you really have to make large adjustments to the mirror position when you go from horizontal to vertical positioning.

So, you could just be seeing lots of folks that actually haul a lot of trailers with their trucks going down the road in between jobs or the occasional forgetful driver that forgot to pull them down after dropping their rigs off.

Personally I wish they would make the darn things powered so you could flip them up or down from inside the cab when you have no passenger available to flip the other side down.
mcumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
When I decided to buy a new Tundra a few months back, the only way I could get one with factory tow mirrors was from the plant in Texas.

The dealer couldn't find any around on any dealers lot. Was supposed to take 4-6 weeks, ended up taking 10 weeks. Was only a $40 option.

They have a larger mirror section and manually pull out 4". Here is a few pics...14' Tundra with factory tow mirrors

Was able to see a picture out of a accessory catalog, but didn't really now how much larger they would be than regular mirrors. My past tow vehicle (Toyota 4Runner) had to use the clip on tow mirrors. Going to be so nice to just having to pull them out in 2 seconds, or back in.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:48 AM   #19

Right on mcumbie. If I am lazy or an idiot for leaving mine in the UP position, then I guess I can rationalize that, "Little things bother little people". What a silly reason to be upset with such a silly issue. JMHO.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:50 AM   #20

Mirrors

I personally own one of the Dodge trucks as you mention! I mainly have something hooked to my truck towing but do drive it around short distances with mirrors in tow position! With the mirrors up a driver can see alot better than with them down, especially when you are used to driving with them in tow position! Personally myself and my wife both feel we can be a little safer when driving with them UP, as to not cut another driver off on lane changes etc, not back into another vehicle in parking lots! Maybe someone can bring this to Dodge and they can redesign the mirrors so it makes everyone happy!
But for now, it's MY truck and i'll drive it with the mirrors how ever i want to!
SDM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #21

I am not sure why so many people think the mirrors are so bad in the towing position. I think the way they are made make them appear to be wider than they really are. Personally I put mine in the out (tow) position and leave them there, what good is it to be looking at a dually fender instead of seeing the area around and behind you.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:47 AM   #22

This is my first Ram. Previous 2 trucks were GM's with tow mirrors that had the main mirror on top and the spot mirror on the bottom. The ram with the mirror in the down position has the spot mirror on the outside and the main mirror close to the cab. Im so used to the gm configuration, that I dont feel confident or safe using the Ram's mirror in the down position, so I keep mine in the tow position.

I could care less if someone is arrogant enough to think im over compensating for "something else". Just trying to keep me and my family safe.
mowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #23

Everyone is getting bent out of shape; and I mean people with ALL kinds of post counts and statuses. It's a funny topic; like poking at Chevy front tie rods, or Ford . . . nevermind, Ford is perfect

I've driven Dodges with non tow and tow mirrors (new style). I think both sucked compared to Ford towing mirrors.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Another reason some people keep them up and out is because when you fold them back down the view in the mirror changes, you have to readjust them so you can see behind you. At least that is what I experienced when I had mine.

Jerry
Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 PM   #25

I only rotate mine out when I have the TT hooked up. I have noticed I can see the spotting mirrors a lot better in the tow position than folded down. The passenger side main mirror is not convex for the wide angle view like the non tow mirrors. It is much easier to see with the mirrors in the tow position.
Don_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 PM   #26

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 14 Ram with the tow mirrors. They have re designed the mirror so that they are easier to use in the tow position even though I only put them that way when towing. Kind of hard to explain, but the wide angle part of the mirror is in better position in the towing mode. I suppose I'll get used to them before I take out a SmartCar.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:20 PM   #27

In either mode, they are still width-legal. Relax people.

Roy
HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #28

Nor'easters Club
I always heard about this with the Dodge and I never understood it, now that I see how they rotate up and require an adjustment it makes much more sense. My Ford tow mirrors stay in except for while towing, but then again, when I extend mine they dont require a ton of adjustment. I think the Dodge design is pretty cool because they dont look like tow mirrors when they are "in", I guess the down side is the required adjustment, which explains why people leave them out.