Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 PM   #29

KZ RV Club
I'll let this picture speak for what I'd actually say about this specific topic, as it is, quite possibly, one of the most over argued topics on EVERY truck forum I've ever seen.

And yes, this is me measuring them on my truck....which is a DRW, which normally has a trailer behind it, and when it doesn't I ain't flipping them down to appease the peoples of the interwebs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	464.8 KB
ID:	61546  

Cumminalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:27 PM   #30

I have
An 06 Dodge l think they all have power adjustments for the mirror . It takes abour 2 min at most to readjust. Wheres rhe problem?

Old 04-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #31

So I don't look like a ???? I run mine in the normal position. It's bad enough when I'm getting out of my truck in a tight parking spot and the mirrors are in the normal position let alone stuck out like dumbo ears.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
I am sure some keep them out so they can feel like they are driving a semi.
It's like the drivers who leave their fog lights on all the time, "Hey, look at me I have fog lights."
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
And what about the guy that leaves his hitch in his receiver. Look at me, I have a trailer. What if he has his mirrors out and his fogs on?
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 AM   #34

It's funny that you never see Ford or Chevy guys with their mirrors out when not towing.
Old 04-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #35

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's funny that you never see Ford or Chevy guys with their mirrors out when not towing.
I always used to think the same thing (I have a Ford Superduty) But once I read this thread and I see how the Dodge mirrors are different and require additional adjustment, I can understand why more of them do it. It all makes perfect sense now.

That up and out looks like a cool way to do it instead of just extending since you get a standard mirror when you dont need the tow mirror. But in my opinion, I think it sounds like a PITA to keep adjusting
Old 04-28-2014, 12:55 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayRanger View Post
In either mode, they are still width-legal. Relax people.

Roy
What he said!!!
becken6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
My husband was chuckling about this not too long ago...seems one of his buddies always drove his Dodge around with his mirrors in the tow position. Then one day Hubby asked him why, and it turned out the poor schmo didn't even know there was another position!

Guess they were that way when he bought the truck second hand...
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
I have
An 06 Dodge l think they all have power adjustments for the mirror . It takes abour 2 min at most to readjust. Wheres rhe problem?
Only the main mirror is power adjustable, not the spot mirror. When in the folded position the spot mirror is now vertical and on the outside of the mirror. Great for seeing low flying planes, but not so good to see the other lanes.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:49 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowin View Post
Only the main mirror is power adjustable, not the spot mirror. When in the folded position the spot mirror is now vertical and on the outside of the mirror. Great for seeing low flying planes, but not so good to see the other lanes.

My 12 has the two mirrors. I run in the stock position and the outside mirror stays the same whether the mirrors are flipped out or not. It takes 30 sec to readjust the mirrors from tow to non tow.
I have no problem seeing cars on either side of me when in the stock position. I'm thinking that the guys that need to flip them out don't have them adjusted right.

Just wondering do you have to have the bull balls hanging on the receiver when you flip the mirrors out?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 PM   #40

Quote:
My 12 has the two mirrors. I run in the stock position and the outside mirror stays the same whether the mirrors are flipped out or not. It takes 30 sec to readjust the mirrors from tow to non tow.
I have no problem seeing cars on either side of me when in the stock position. I'm thinking that the guys that need to flip them out don't have them adjusted right.

Just wondering do you have to have the bull balls hanging on the receiver when you flip the mirrors out?
I have a 2012 also and do the same. The smaller convex mirror is same position regardless of mirror position. Takes longer to walk around and flip both out than it does to adjust them. I think they might be slightly more trouble to extend and adjust than a Ford or Chevy but when they are in I think are less likely to hit on something. My $.02 worth.

Chad
Old 04-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #41

Quote:

I keep my mirrors in the tow mode[Moderator Edit]
Old 04-30-2014, 08:37 AM   #42

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
But in my opinion, I think it sounds like a PITA to keep adjusting
For some it may be difficult, but I have no trouble pushing to button to adjust the power mirror.

Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote