Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2013, 05:04 AM   #29

2012 1500 Big Horn 5.7, towing 7500#'s

Set on "Light Electric" with a 4 setting. The best brake controller I have ever used. Those of you talikig about 2011 models should know that 2012 has significant changes over 2011.

markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #30

Brake Controler

I have this same issue. Have a 2010 3500, the controler worked at first when we bought our 44 foot toy hauler. now the truck will reconize that the trailer is pluged in but when the brakes are applied nothing happens at the trailer....I have to manualy apply the brakes. the dash identifies that the brakes are being applied when i manually apply but don't when the brake pedal is used....I took the truck back, they changed out the controler still the same . I just looked to see if i could set up the brake system but the truck has nothing in brake settings. Can anyone give me a direction.

Old 01-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #31

I have a friend with a 2012 Dodge 2500 turbo diesel with factory brake controller and tows a 34' Airstream (10,000#?) and he is experiencing a 3-5 second delay on activating trailer brakes. This man is a perfectionist and is very detailed oriented. Several trips to the dealer with no help/response, calls to Airstream. Hooked up to a Ford (parked) seemed to work properly. Very perplexed and is at a dead end as to the possible problem and seems to be a safety hazard
Old 01-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #32

Freightliner Owners Club
Hi,

I am "lms1943"'s friend with the 2012 Ram 2500 Laramie with brake controller problems. My problem is exactly like the original poster's problem, a delay in the application of the trailer brakes.

It's too long of a story to tell here (I don't want to type that much ), but have gone round and round with the dealer, the dealer's electronic "expert", and Chrysler Customer Service about the problem, and a week or so ago it had gotten so bad that no one would even call me back. So, I filed a Lemon Law complaint.

The brakes exhibit the same problem on three different trailers that I have towed with it, and that is the delay. If I put the brakes on slowly, the delay can be up to several seconds. If I put the brakes on as in a panic stop, it is at least a one second delay. I told them this is a very dangerous situation because all it would take is a need for brakes quickly on a slippery road surface, and the rig is going to jack-knife, stuff will be destroyed, and people possibly hurt. We'll see what happens now as I am waiting on them to get back with me (they won't talk to me on the phone and only say some one will call me).

I will say to the original poster of this thread first, thanks, it is good to know that I'm not the only one with the problem. Next, please go to your system setup, and set your basic setting to "Heavy EOH" even though you have electric brakes. It will work, it was relayed to me from a factory rep that nothing will be damaged, and it has been my experience the delay is a little shorter. Good luck, and I hope you don't have to go to the extreme I have to get your controller fixed.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #33

I am towing with a '13 Ram with factory controller, it has been excellent as far with the operation and application of trailer brakes. I guess what ever problem they had has now been worked out.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 09:11 PM   #34

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
I am towing with a '13 Ram with factory controller, it has been excellent as far with the operation and application of trailer brakes. I guess what ever problem they had has now been worked out.
I've read several posts on other forums that the '13s brake controllers are working well, but my '12 model is junk.

For my situation, I actually have some good news on the brake controller issue. Yesterday I installed a Prodigy P3 where the original factory controller was mounted, tested it with two different trailers with different type brakes and different weights, and it works great. There is no delay, and the braking is proportional. It will slam you up against the windshield if you step on them hard.

From the beginning I didn't want to do this because the computer system in the truck would be in alarm or show error codes without the factory controller. However, with some information I found on the web, and an idea of my own that came from the time I was playing around with resistors to make the factory controller "see" the hydraulic brake actuator, it is all working with no alarms or codes on the truck.

The factory controller is definitely a time-delay unit. Information on time-delay vs proportional here: Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com

I've been trying to get the dealer to fix this problem since August.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:39 AM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas SteveH View Post
The factory controller is definitely a time-delay unit.
Proof otherwise is as simple as reading the digital brake output on the controller readout. Does the number increase as you brake harder and decrease as you brake less? Mine does - that makes it a proportional controller.

I just towed a 2011 Mobile Suites with electric-over-hydraulic disc brakes yesterday and the factory brake controller handled that just fine.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:43 AM   #36

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
Proof otherwise is as simple as reading the digital brake output on the controller readout. Does the number increase as you brake harder and decrease as you brake less? Mine does - that makes it a proportional controller.

I just towed a 2011 Mobile Suites with electric-over-hydraulic disc brakes yesterday and the factory brake controller handled that just fine.

Rusty
Yes, my numbers changed, but the braking power didn't. However I guarantee you the braking power changes now with the Prodigy P3. The difference between the two controllers is like daylight and dark. Glad you're happy with yours, but I was very nervous towing with mine because my brakes just weren't safe.
Old 02-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Yes, my trailer braking varies proportionally with my truck braking, as indicated by the ITBC output readings.

Good luck with your Prodigy.

Rusty
Old 06-19-2016, 09:37 PM   #38

P3 Mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas SteveH View Post
I've read several posts on other forums that the '13s brake controllers are working well, but my '12 model is junk.

For my situation, I actually have some good news on the brake controller issue. Yesterday I installed a Prodigy P3 where the original factory controller was mounted, tested it with two different trailers with different type brakes and different weights, and it works great. There is no delay, and the braking is proportional. It will slam you up against the windshield if you step on them hard.

From the beginning I didn't want to do this because the computer system in the truck would be in alarm or show error codes without the factory controller. However, with some information I found on the web, and an idea of my own that came from the time I was playing around with resistors to make the factory controller "see" the hydraulic brake actuator, it is all working with no alarms or codes on the truck.

The factory controller is definitely a time-delay unit. Information on time-delay vs proportional here: Trailer Brake Controller Information | etrailer.com

I've been trying to get the dealer to fix this problem since August.
I'm in the same situation and want to switch to a P3. I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500, how did you mount it where the original controller was located? Can you post a pic of the install?
Old 06-19-2016, 10:17 PM   #39

My 2015 IBC does NOT work as well as it should. I have to run it on 10. It comes on strong but that's it! I can hit the slide bar at 50 and it will dog down a bit but no way try to stop the RV. I am heavy at 23K but I have the Kodiak disk brakes and I know how well they can work.

RAM is working on a fix but I am tired of waiting as this is a real life safety issue. I think I will install my MaxBrake I took out of my 11 RAM dually.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:33 AM   #40

Have you guys been into the menu on the Ram? There are settings for Light and Heavy. I always kept my factory brake controller on heavy and with my 2 axle gooseneck backhoe trailer I would run it on about 5 or 6. Anything more and it would jerk the truck with so much braking on the trailer. Hope this helps.

Chad
Old 06-20-2016, 06:24 AM   #41

Freightliner Owners Club
The installation of the P3into the Ram's factory controller location is not a simple one because you have to keep the truck's computer "happy".

The way I did that was I took the factory controller out of it's installed location, but left it wired into the system, except I cut it's output wire, and installed a 4 ohm resistor from it's output to ground. Then using the factory controls, set it's output to 0.

Then I installed the P3 in it's place, wired from the battery, and using the trucks cut wire as the output. I modified the factory bezel which allowed the P3 to fit thru it in the same location. It's difficult to describe in words, and I no longer have the truck, and don't have pictures, so I hope this is of some help.

Steve
Old 06-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #42

One thing I found with my 12 Ram OEM TBC is that when in town or speeds under 30-40mph and slowing to a stop the TBC seems lethargic. However under a panic stop where you hit the brake pedal hard and fast my 5er brakes will lock on occasion.
It seems that Ram has dialed down the supply to the brakes under light pedal applications. But under aggressive applications it works fine.
I have recently taken it in for some emissions work and the tech guy said there's a TSB for the TBC, so he re-flashed as per Ram. I've only towed with the new TBC flash a couple times and not under my normal towing conditions. Both trips were 95% freeway so not much of a chance to use the brakes like I do in the mtns.
Time will tell. I'm going to give the new flash a chance, but my Tekonsha is still ready in case the OEM TBC seems weak.