Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2017, 01:07 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Does anyone else display their length?

Was chatting with a buddy who has been into RVs for much longer than us. I was telling him that I measured our total length but that I had posted 47 FT in reflective silver letters on the left rear of our TT. He was incredulous, saying he'd never seen that in all of his time on the road. In turn, I was incredulous that not everyone does it.
For me, it was a natural thing to do. As a biker, it's nice to have any idea of the total length of the vehicle in front of me.....

Anyone else do this?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2017, 01:33 AM   #2

I don't, and also as a biker, when I feel the need to pass the vehicle in front of me, I note the speed, and try to pass at a rate of closure speed that gets me around in the shortest amount of time based on just visual reference.

Not saying your reasoning is wrong, just different. Commercial trailers that are 53 feet long do post the length on the side and rear.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:48 AM   #3

I don't post length. I've never seen a non commercial vehicle do so.

As a biker, I wouldn't pay attention to a posted length anyway. I'm not cutting back in front of anyone remotely close enough to make that an issue.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:54 AM   #4

If I were riding a Harley I might be concerned. I rode bikes that were much quicker so never gave length a thought. I was more concerned with how many I would need to pass.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:22 AM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Biker

Thanks guys. I too have been riding for 51 years. Rode a Harley just once in that time - a 3 day rental in Maui. My point was that anyone behind another vehicle might like to know...not necessarily a biker. I plan to tow a bit lower than the speed limit and we don't have huge interstates up here in the mostly rural GWN - mostly 2 lanes and the Trans Canada having 4 lanes with 2 in each direction.

I guess I should have even been more specific. Newbie to site.....
Old 06-25-2017, 02:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Commercial trailers that are 53 feet long do post the length on the side and rear.
That's done on 53' semi trailers, bogeys and containers only so the intermodal operations know which equipment they will or won't fit on without constantly having to visually guess +/- 5ft. The majority of the intermodal equipment was designed with 48' equipment in mind. Has nothing to do with alerting other traffic/drivers.
Old 06-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
I have seen t-shirts that boast about it but I would never wear one.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I have seen t-shirts that boast about it but I would never wear one.

[emoji33]
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 07:41 PM   #9

Thought this was gonna be a personal question.....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:35 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't see anything wrong with posting your length, however to me the most important thing we RV operators can do to make it as easy and safe to pass us on a two lane highway is to not hug the center line.

I am always checking my rear view mirrors and when I see a vehicle approaching behind me that I know is going to want to get around me, I will make sure I'm off the center line as much as is safe so they have a clear view of my length, and of course the distance of oncoming traffic.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:56 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Thumbs up bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I am always checking my rear view mirrors and when I see a vehicle approaching behind me that I know is going to want to get around me, I will make sure I'm off the center line as much as is safe so they have a clear view of my length, and of course the distance of oncoming traffic.
we have a winner. very good.
ricndot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
I don't see anything wrong with posting your length, however to me the most important thing we RV operators can do to make it as easy and safe to pass us on a two lane highway is to not hug the center line.

This, plus when I'm being passed by a longer RV or tractor trailer rig, I'll flash my lights for him once he's clear to let him know that it's safe to move back over. I always appreciate this when a semi driver does this for me.
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Thought this was gonna be a personal question.....
Maybe it was, and we just didn't catch it. Lol
Old 06-26-2017, 01:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If I were riding a Harley I might be concerned. I rode bikes that were much quicker so never gave length a thought. I was more concerned with how many I would need to pass.
What's riding a Harley got to do with it?????