Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Does Anyone Have a RAM Integrated Brake Controller?

I recently purchased a new 2012 RAM 1500 Laramie. The dealer installed a Mopar Integrated Trailer Brake Controller. I hooked up my trailer today to set it up and I am not sure if I am getting the correct response. First I can't get the trailer brakes to lock up even on 10 but the literature says that might be the case. When I hook up the trailer I get no indication that a trailer is hooked up. I would have thought the trailer light would go on. I played with the connection with no changes then unplugged it and the little trailer light lit up. Is this correct or should I take the truck back to the dealer? Any help would be appreciated. All the trailer lights appear to be working fine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Have you gone in through the EVIC System Setup screen and selected the correct trailer weight and brake type? The choices are electric light, electric heavy, electric over hydraulic light, electric over hydraulic heavy.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks for your reply. I did try going into EVIC but I couldn't get any reading. I'm currently back at the dealership but I don't think they are experts at this. When you hook up a trailer does your trailer status indicator light?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
On my 2011, if I plug the trailer in with the ignition on, I get a numeric value showing gain setting on the ITBC itself. If I unplug the trailer with the ignition on, I get a Trailer Disconnected warning in the EVIC screen. Your 2012 may be different, especially since it is a 1500 - I'm not sure that your ITBC has all the features and options available on the 2500 and 3500.

Rusty
Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Thanks. Hopefully they will find something wrong with the wiring.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Well I took my truck back to the dealer and they said it wasn't programmed correctly. They don't know why but said they have it now. Haven't hooked up my trailer yet but at least the EVIC is asking me what type of trailer/brakes I have.....yes!
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #7

There was an update done to my ITBC on my 2012 CCLB DRW 3500 pickup. It has all the options that Rusty listed and I use light electric for my 2000 lb tandem utility trailer, but I change it over to heavy electric at 6.0 for my 2012 Alpine 3600RS camper that weighs in at around 12K lbs. So far it works well with both trailers, and I have even installed the Curt prefab 5th wheel plug kit in the bed for the 5th wheel camper.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #8

I'm currently at the office and don't have access to my owners manual for a 2012 Dodge Ram. My question is are there weight parameters for electric light, electric heavy, electric over hydraulic light, electric over hydraulic heavy? I tow a 2013 27RL Zinger. I wonder if I should be using electric light or electric heavy. Or something else? Anyone know? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRHTRD
I'm currently at the office and don't have access to my owners manual for a 2012 Dodge Ram. My question is are there weight parameters for electric light, electric heavy, electric over hydraulic light, electric over hydraulic heavy? I tow a 2013 27RL Zinger. I wonder if I should be using electric light or electric heavy. Or something else? Anyone know? Thanks for the help.
I was wondering the same thing. I know I have electric brakes so I'm down to 2 choices. My trailer will weigh in a little over 4k lbs so I've got mine set on light. I've been thru my owners manual and haven't found the answer. Also I'm not confident the service department are towing experts. At this point I figure the trailer/truck will tell me. If you find the answer, please post your findings.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Start with electric light if you wish. If you find the gain setting has to be run up to 9.0 or 9.5 and still doesn't produce enough trailer braking, you can always go to electric heavy, lower the gain and start again.

Obviously, if the trailer brakes lock up or are providing too much braking, lower the gain. If the trailer brakes are providing insufficient braking, increase the gain. If you run out of room at the bottom or top ends of the gain settings, you can switch from light to heavy or vice versa.

Rusty
Old 10-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Start with electric light if you wish. If you find the gain setting has to be run up to 9.0 or 9.5 and still doesn't produce enough trailer braking, you can always go to electric heavy, lower the gain and start again.

Obviously, if the trailer brakes lock up or are providing too much braking, lower the gain. If the trailer brakes are providing insufficient braking, increase the gain. If you run out of room at the bottom or top ends of the gain settings, you can switch from light to heavy or vice versa.

Rusty
Yes, that is how I'm handling it.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #12

Agree with Rusty completely, light electric did not brake the camper enough, but you have to be STOPPED to access the settings menu to Shane from light electric to heavy electric. The printed owners manuals say very little about the integrated brake controller settings. I experimented and increased the gain slowly until the camper quit pushing me on stops, then noted for a baseline setting. You can adjust up or down on the fly with the buttons, just not change ranges!
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thing is to make sure you have the trailer brakes adjusted properly mechanically on the trailer.

Ken
Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 PM   #14

I checked mine last night when I got home. I was set for electric heavy. I just bought this camper and it's bigger than the one I traded in but I had to turn the brake controller from 6.5 to 3.5 to keep from locking up the trailer brakes. they only seem to lock up just before I come to a stop. It does fine under normal driving so I guess I will stick with this setting. Any thoughts?

Tags
brake