Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Does Ford f350 with bed size of 6.5' require a sliding hitch?

Just wondering if the F350 bed with length of 6.5' require a sliding hitch? And if so what would be a good recommendation,and cost for one?

Jpdkmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

There is a little advantage to certain 5ers where cab clearance is concerned on a truck with a short box.
5ers with an extended pin box, instead of one that's straight down can be maneuvered in MOST situations without a slider.
If your 5er of choice has a straight down pin box , you NEED a slider hitch.
I had 4 , fifth wheel trailers , all with extended pin box, towed with two short box trucks, both equipped with a manual slider hitch , in 14 years I had to move the manual slide ; once; because I got into a place that no RV should go, and my DW told me not to go.
Auto slider worth the $$$ , not in my book , but I would not consider a non-sliding hitch for a short box. No!

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
How much is a lot less stress worth? Didn't know about sliders when we bought our short bed Ram with Pullrite auto slider already in place but after using it for almost 1 year and seeing it slide several times I really am happy to have it. Just last week saw personally a back window be crunched by a non-slider,first time I have seen it. Auto slider-no getting out to unlock. I 'm trying not to but I still make mistakes
Tooth Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Jpdkmd View Post
Just wondering if the F350 bed with length of 6.5' require a sliding hitch?
Depends on the trailer, but as a general rule any 6.5' bed requires a sliding hitch. You won't need the slider as long as you are moving forward, but put that puppy in reverse to back up and you can have a CRUNCH before you can blink.

There are two basic kinds of sliders, manual and automatic. Several manufacturers offer manual sliders. The most popular is probably the Reese "Classic", like this one:
Reese Fifth Wheel Hitch for 2012 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty 16000 lbs GTW | etrailer.com

If your Ford came with the optional fifth-wheel/gooseneck prep kit, then you can go for the Reese Elite manual slider hitch that plugs into the holes in your bed. If your truck doesn't have the prep kit, then you can still install that Reese Elite hitch that Ford uses as an OEM option. It's a more expensive alternative to the old Reese Classic slider.
Reese Fifth Wheel Hitch for 2012 Ford F-250 and F-350 Super Duty 18000 lbs GTW | etrailer.com

For an automatic slider, there is only one I would consider - PullRite SuperGlide. Wonderful product for a forgetful old man like me that might forget to slide a manual slider.
Traditional Series SuperGlide - For Short Bed Trucks | PullRite Hitches

The SuperGlide has options for two different optional mounting systems. The "traditional"in the above link is an under-the-bed mount that works fine. If your truck doesn't already have bed rails for a 5er hitch, then I'd choose the Pullrite trational series SuperGlide hitch.

The ISR system is the "industry standard rails" mounted above the floor of the bed. In other words, the Reese install kit with above-bed rails. If your truck already has Reese bed rails installed, then you can get the Pullrite ISR series and plug it into those Reese bedrails.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
JD, it depends on your driving skill and level of focus. Yes, you can have trailer cap to truck cab contact if you're not paying attention. You can also hit a tree if your not paying attention. I've got about 15k miles towing my current and last 5th wheel with my 350/6'9" bed and no slider. Yes, I have to watch more closely but it's pretty much second nature now. It depends on you more than anything else.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:40 AM   #6
Towed with GM regular (6.5 ft) boxes for 12 years with regular hitch with no need for slider.
Bought a Ford long box because the shorter box being shorter distance axle to cab then the GMs.
But now I have the trimmed front profile that would work well with shorter box. But I do like my long box other then the longer swing required for turns and backing up.
The shorter wheel base trucks maneuver so much better that the need for slider may not be required.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 09:26 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

When I first got into 5ers, I had a short-bed truck and a regular Reese hitch without slider. Practice in a parking lot showed I could never turn sharp enough to have cab to trailer contact as long I was moving forward. But when backing up, I could not achieve anywhere close to a 90° jackknife. So I had nightmares about pulling into a blind alley and progressing a mile or so down a steep crooked alley to a dead end, with no place to turn around.

If you can back into a 90° jackknife with a 5er, you can then unhook, drive around the other side of the 5er, and back in and hook up again. then pull forward and get out of your problem. But if you cannot do a full 90° jackknife without cab to trailer contact, then your only choice is to back that trailer down that crooked road to get out of there.

So I traded that shorty pickup for one with an 8' bed. No more nightmares.

SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote