Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Does Toad rack up miles on odometer when being towed?

I don't have a Toad now - but in the market. I'm wondering if the odometer on the Toad shows the miles towed (not just miles Toad is driven). So I see a Toad for sale with 50,000 miles. Is that the true mileage on all the components?

For example, if the odometer shows only the actual miles "driven", then a Toad with say 50,000 miles could actually have 100,000 on the wheel bearings and CV joints and internal trans-axle parts.

Not sure how the odometer in these newer, electronic cars works - off a speed sensor measuring wheel rotation (in the transmission or axle), or only when the key is on and engine running.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 06:21 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 2015 Ford Fiesta does not add mileage to the odometer when flat towed.

g
Old 10-20-2017, 06:23 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Our two wranglers towed 4 down did not rack up mileage when being towed. They were a 2012 and now a 2017. Easy to tow and very good for exploring.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
2012 Chevy Equinox. No
2014 Honda CR-V. No
1999 Chevy Tahoe. No

All in response to OP about toad registering miles when being towed.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 AM   #5

My friends day 'No', but they also say the tires wear out normal. So flat towing does not put miles on but will wear tires a bit more than normal according to my friends that tow a Ford Focus.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Actually, tires and suspension. If hooked up to a brake controller than you can add brakes to that list.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:48 AM   #7

My RAV4 does not add mileage unless the key is left in the run position or I have the vehicle idling when towing (only for a few min on cold days to silence the alarm).
Old 10-20-2017, 06:53 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all your replies.
Question answered. It's "No".

I can easily inspect tires and brakes when buying a used Toad - so no concern there.

I just wasn't sure about the wheel bearings and internal trans-axle parts (which will wear from towing, but there is really no way to know how much - unless Owner says how many miles it has been towed over the years).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Thanks for all your replies.
Question answered. It's "No".

I can easily inspect tires and brakes when buying a used Toad - so no concern there.

I just wasn't sure about the wheel bearings and internal trans-axle parts (which will wear from towing, but there is really no way to know how much - unless Owner says how many miles it has been towed over the years).
That would be a "No" for modern vehicles with electronic odometers when towed per manufacturer instructions (or older 4WD vehicles with a neutral in the transfer case)

Older cable style odometers on manual transmission cars will rack up the towed miles.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad, tow