Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #1
Member
 
Chiefrocka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
Double Towing in CALIFORNIA

I have been searching and searching and still cannot get all the info I need.

I recently was at the DMV finally registering my truck and 5th wheel. While at the office, I asked the women there a couple questions. Basically they gave me a "no" response, but I could tell it was not an educated response.

One did mention to contact the CHP, which I did, the local office. They referred me to the Commercial office the next town over

(Ya, we are finally getting somewhere !!!)

The office there informed me that all I need to do is add the "doubles Endorsement" to my existing class C.

I said "ARE YOU SURE I DONT NEED A CLASS A ??!?!"

He said as long as your not over 15,000 lbs (which I wont be)

I've searched the DMV online VC's, and it doesn't say you can, but it doesn't say you cant either.

Basically states you cant tow without an endorsement.

Now, I want to get this done so I am ready for next year, but I know those women will probably give me hell ....

Ideas ?

Links ?

HELP !!!

__________________

__________________
_____________________
'02 F250 4x4, CSB, PowerStroke ; '96 Automate 5th Wheeler AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS
(831) 630-1965
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
SmokeyWren's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midland County, Texas
Posts: 3,334
An RV is not a "commercial" vehicle, so the commercial vehicle folks at either DOT or CHP will probably give you bad info. You must make it clear that you are asking about an RV and not a commercial vehicle.

One rule that is probably firm is that the combined length of the rig cannot exceed 65 feet. So with a 22' crewcab plus a 30' 5er that has a 5' overhang, the rig is already 48 feet long before you tie on the second trailer. That leaves only 17 feet for the second trailer. Subtract another 3' for the hitch on the second trailer, and that leaves a box not longer than 14'. Not much of a boat, and only a short box trailer. My 14' long box on my cargo trailer, maybe, that is over 16' counting the hitch, but certainly not the normal 16' utility trailer that is over 18' including the hitch.

Pickups towing RVs do not stop at the weigh stations, so the folks there might also give you bad info concerning RV double towing. I doubt you need anything other than an ordinary "car" driver's license to tow a doubles RV. But then California has some weird rules, including a 55 MPH speed limit for RV trailers, so you may well have some other rules that other states don't have.

I would go to a regular CHP office - not the commercial office - and talk to the officer in charge. Emphasize that you are talking about RV doubles, not commercial, and ask what rules his CHiPs enforce concerning RV doubles. I can't find any answers on the CHP website, so maybe ask that officer for a link to the rules for RV doubles - not commercial doubles.
__________________

__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Double towing is absolutely forbidden in the state of California!

Driving Your RV Safely

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Dupdyke's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Roseville MN sum / La Feria Tx winter
Posts: 715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Double towing is absolutely forbidden in the state of California!

Driving Your RV Safely

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Well you are not quite correct, IF I have a cdl A lic with doubles or tripples endorsment I can tow about anything I dare.

My partner is an old UPS tripples train driver and got stopped and Ok trooper said sorry I will have to give you a ticket and you can not leave here with that thing.

He handed him the lic and the answer was Just a minute I gotta check on how this works. Trooper said sorry have a nice day and left...

__________________
Sheri & Don 2003 Dynasty 42" regal ISL 400
2007 Goldwing Trike Gmc 4X4 w/ autoloader for trike
Lets go we got it all loaded.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
Yup, you're correct. Having a CDL with the proper endorsements changes everything plus if it's used for commercial purposes you also have to stop at every weigh station too.

However, those people who do have CDL's with endorsements are the rare exception and not the norm.

You probably won't find too many of them hanging around here.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Luckiest Dreamer's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Iowa
Posts: 1,188
I have, in the past towed a 5th wheel with my boat behind as well as had a CDL (Commercial Drivers License) for my work. What I found, was that many States do not have rules regarding the double towing of your personal vehicles. Some officers will use the commercial vehicle rules when quoting what your allowances are. Some will admit they do not know what the rules are. There are also States that do have the rules spelled out. Finding them requires your homework. I no longer tow doubles and realize that the laws do change and any info that I might quote may now be antiquated , therefore I will not! What I did find out at the time was that if you cannot find any laws about it in your State, that you could "takes your chances", as I did. If you stay within the other Laws, such as speed, you may find that no one will question you.
__________________
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
Member
 
Chiefrocka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
An RV is not a "commercial" vehicle, so the commercial vehicle folks at either DOT or CHP will probably give you bad info. You must make it clear that you are asking about an RV and not a commercial vehicle.

One rule that is probably firm is that the combined length of the rig cannot exceed 65 feet. So with a 22' crewcab plus a 30' 5er that has a 5' overhang, the rig is already 48 feet long before you tie on the second trailer. That leaves only 17 feet for the second trailer. Subtract another 3' for the hitch on the second trailer, and that leaves a box not longer than 14'. Not much of a boat, and only a short box trailer. My 14' long box on my cargo trailer, maybe, that is over 16' counting the hitch, but certainly not the normal 16' utility trailer that is over 18' including the hitch.

Pickups towing RVs do not stop at the weigh stations, so the folks there might also give you bad info concerning RV double towing. I doubt you need anything other than an ordinary "car" driver's license to tow a doubles RV. But then California has some weird rules, including a 55 MPH speed limit for RV trailers, so you may well have some other rules that other states don't have.

I would go to a regular CHP office - not the commercial office - and talk to the officer in charge. Emphasize that you are talking about RV doubles, not commercial, and ask what rules his CHiPs enforce concerning RV doubles. I can't find any answers on the CHP website, so maybe ask that officer for a link to the rules for RV doubles - not commercial doubles.
I am good on lengths.

I measured from the frt bumper to the 5th wheel plate, then from the kingpin to the rear of the RV....then from the boay tongue to the end of my jetpump. I came up with 63'

This gives me 2' to play with ballmount location, and when I add the rooster tail to boat ....

I think it will matter on the officer and his or her knowledge and patience.

More homework for me ....
__________________
_____________________
'02 F250 4x4, CSB, PowerStroke ; '96 Automate 5th Wheeler AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS
(831) 630-1965
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Member
 
Chiefrocka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Double towing is absolutely forbidden in the state of California!

Driving Your RV Safely

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Did not see that ....

Last paragraph only states that you may not tow two trailers with a Non commercial license ....
__________________
_____________________
'02 F250 4x4, CSB, PowerStroke ; '96 Automate 5th Wheeler AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS
(831) 630-1965
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: N/W of Tilden, TX
Posts: 6
Yes You Can

65' Max applies. Yes, you can pull doubles, but must have a Doubles endorsement on your DL, which MUST BE a CLASS A COMMERCIAL DL. The following link is to the Recreational Vehicle & Towing Book from the DMV: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
There is no Doubles endorsement for anything "non-commercial." Sorry! Of course, this also means that you have to have a DOT physical every 2 years! Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia! :-/

Hope this helps and safe travels!
__________________
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Varies Depending on The Weather
Posts: 8,517
So what type of drivers license does the OP have in California may I ask?

If it's a non-commercial Class C then are you going to go through the time and energy to obtain a Commercial Class A with the necessary endorsements to double tow in California or any other state?

How many owners of NON-CDL's would actually do that?

Just asking!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
__________________
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
YC1
Senior Member
 
YC1's Avatar


 
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,582
I think my FIL was born with a commercial license. Drove truck when he was tall enough I believe. He towed doubles but did have to keep his commercial license and medical up. I have seen double towing many times in Calif. Some I suspect were not legal based on length,.
__________________
Myron & Deborah
08 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2012 Ford Edge Limited FWD 3.5L
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #12
Member
 
Chiefrocka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
So what type of drivers license does the OP have in California may I ask?

If it's a non-commercial Class C then are you going to go through the time and energy to obtain a Commercial Class A with the necessary endorsements to double tow in California or any other state?

How many owners of NON-CDL's would actually do that?

Just asking!

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I have a Class C ....
__________________
_____________________
'02 F250 4x4, CSB, PowerStroke ; '96 Automate 5th Wheeler AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS
(831) 630-1965
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
Member
 
Chiefrocka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by papaj2007 View Post
65' Max applies. Yes, you can pull doubles, but must have a Doubles endorsement on your DL, which MUST BE a CLASS A COMMERCIAL DL. The following link is to the Recreational Vehicle & Towing Book from the DMV: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648.pdf
There is no Doubles endorsement for anything "non-commercial." Sorry! Of course, this also means that you have to have a DOT physical every 2 years! Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia! :-/

Hope this helps and safe travels!

Wait a minute .....

Was this post edited and shortened ??

In my email alert I recieved, the post was longer with more info.

Or, am I tripping ??
__________________
_____________________
'02 F250 4x4, CSB, PowerStroke ; '96 Automate 5th Wheeler AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS
(831) 630-1965
Chiefrocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: N/W of Tilden, TX
Posts: 6
Talking Ur not tripping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefrocka View Post
Wait a minute .....

Was this post edited and shortened ??

In my email alert I recieved, the post was longer with more info.

Or, am I tripping ??
Sorry, no you're not tripping! I had started typing BEFORE I had double checked my info and had to revise it! It gets a little confusing as the, "Peoples Republic of Kalifornia" has too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, so the rules get, "blurred" sometimes!
__________________

__________________
papaj2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
california, towing



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.