Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 PM   #1

Drive up to Shaver lake question

Towing my 5er up to Shaver Lake, CA on Thurs and just curious how the drive up is? Lake says 5500' so I can't imagine the road is terribly steep but just like to know what to expect when pulling a 15k trailer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ha...it's terrible steep.

I don't take my coach up there, not because of the climb, but because of the decline.

When you return keep your speed very slow.

They are catching lots of trout on Shaver now. A hatchery was closed due to poor water conditions and all the trout were dumped in Shaver about two months ago.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #3

27mi, 2992' el gain.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #4

is it as bad as donner pass heading up hwy 50 into Tahoe?
Old 11-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse961 View Post
is it as bad as donner pass heading up hwy 50 into Tahoe?
I've only gone down 50 once 30 years ago with a 22 foot travel trailer, so I can't compare.

I see RV's on 168 weekly and you can definitely go to Shaver without a problem keeping in mind it is pretty steep in certain areas.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:17 PM   #6

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Uh, Donner Pass is on I-80...

Hwy 50 summit west of South Lake Tahoe is Echo Summit...

Old 11-08-2015, 09:52 PM   #7

This map is very cool... Mark your route and it will give you percent of grade up or down,,, how far,,, etc....
How far did I run? - Create running maps with On The Go Map

The road to my house is a 19% grade.... nice in the winter....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
So how did your trip go?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
This map is very cool... Mark your route and it will give you percent of grade up or down,,, how far,,, etc....
How far did I run? - Create running maps with On The Go Map

The road to my house is a 19% grade.... nice in the winter....
That's a neat site. Heres what we climbed this summer in WY...
Old 11-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
So how did your trip go?
It was not without events......heading up the mountain my transmission began to heat up. I watched it closely and just before it hit 250 i pulled over and shut it down. get out to look and ive got hot transmission fluid leaking underneath but not real bad, just a drip. Another guy pulls over to see if I need help and gives me a lift up the road to the auto parts store. I get some tranny fluid and a bottle of lucas oil transmission additive which is supposed to stop leaks, etc. Start the truck, pour the tranny additive in, boom. Problem immediately solved. Leak stop instantly and temp dropped back down to 190, then 180 later. I haven't had a chance to have it looked at so any suggestions as to what the problem might have been would be appreciated.

Ok, so back on the road, 22 miles to go at this point. Let me say, that drive is STRESSFUL. Steep, tight turns, snow on the ground and Im pulling a 15k lb 40' trailer. FInally make it to my destination and its now dark thanks to my transmission delay and I am alone as the rest of my party was arriving the next day. Campground roads are very narrow with lots of trees but I managed to manuever through without hitting anything. Find my spot and oh crap, it is pitch black and there is no way I can back this thing in alone. Thankfully I wandered and found a guy to help me who was very good. Handed him a walkie and we had that thing parked PERFECTLY in minutes (sooooo much better than using my wife as a spotter, ha!). So at this point I am settled and ready for a drink.

Weekend goes well until Sat night when I am about to cook dinner in my outdoor kitchen and suddenly have no gas. Check my tanks and yep, used ALL of the propane. Yes, I checked before the start of the trip and had plenty but this was my first trip in the cold so i had NOOOO idea just how much propane the furnace uses. Annnnnd I left the thermostat set all day when we'd be out hiking so I wasted a lot. Whoops. Word to the wise: there is NOWHERE in Shaver lake to get propane on a saturday evening. Thankfully I have an electric fireplace in the coach that got us by and we just had to order pizza for dinner.

Sunday morning, up early, get everything packed up and Im on the road quickly. Transmission looks good the whole way, smooth sailing. 45 min from home, BAM! Trailer tire explodes, throws the tread, tears up the side of the coach. i can't make this stuff up. Got the tire changed, and was literally at the exit for the dealership we bought it from so I pulled in and dropped the coach on the spot so they could get it in to service on Monday.

So yes, it actually was a good trip but man I can't catch a break......
Old 11-10-2015, 11:02 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yikes!!! It will be a trip you'll never forget. I've had a few bad ones too as have many of us on here.

However you did gain a lot of knowledge...
Old 11-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Yikes!!! It will be a trip you'll never forget. I've had a few bad ones too as have many of us on here.

However you did gain a lot of knowledge...
Very true; biggest lesson learned here is ALWAYS check tire pressure. Forgot to check before I departed to head home and as it had been very cold in Shaver Im guessing the tires lost a few lb which was enough to cause a blow out. Friend looked at the tire and said it looks like it exploded due to overload/under inflated
Old 11-11-2015, 07:30 PM   #13

Glad to hear Shaver has water. Did you catch any fish?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
Glad to hear Shaver has water. Did you catch any fish?
Didnt end up fishing. My buddy and I did a lot of hiking and then some rock climbing on the exposed boulders from the water line being down some. We're both pretty athletic guys so we needed activities that kept us moving so we wouldnt sit around drinking all day!