Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2014, 07:09 AM   #29

My wife recently passed her tests and has a nice Illinois Class C license. She says the driving test was easy. Illinois does not care about air brakes and has no air brake test. She did not have to back, up just drive. I already have a IL class B. It cost her 5 dollars.
Now she can drive and I just hold on !!!
Bernie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #30

@Palehorse, great information there all at a single source.

Reading it makes you scratch your noggin wonderin' why ALL the states didn't just follow the A,B,C & 26K guidelines that the Feds put on all states for commercial operation just to keep it simple for everyone to follow. Now I see why there's as much confusion on this topic as there is.

As a long time holder of a Class AM CDL with a string of endorsements, I've never given a lot of thought about the legalese of what the steering wheel is hooked to, I just slam the left door and go....

L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When I went for my R endorsement many years ago in NY, I had the same experience as the OP. It seemed the test was made up on the fly. The inspector was very easy going even to the point of kidding about taking a ride down to Florida because it was so cold when I took the test. We took a casual ride around town, but the inspector did make me back up down the street, and the most important thing they were looking for was that I stopped the coach, put on the hazard lights and physically went out and took a visual look behind the coach. You cannot rely on the cameras. I also had to parallel park, perform an air brake safety pre drive test, as well as explain the operation of the air brakes. The best part was when the inspector joked that if I wanted a passing grade, I had to give a quick tour of the coach. Looking back on the experience, it was an enjoyable experience, not like when I went for my first driving test, where I was a nervous young kid. The test was pretty thorough, but very easily accomplished. Lastly, it seems that most Dmv offices in NY still don't even know about the R endorsement, as my buddy recently went to one here on LI to get a permit, and not even the supervisor knew what he was talking about. They tried to convince him that he needed a CDL for an RV over 26000 pounds. It took a call from the supervisor to Albany to straighten it out.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #32
IC2

When I saw the 23K for NY in the earlier post, put a fright in me as that's about where I am with our new 5er and truck. But then looked at the attachment link and it's 26K - phew. I gave up my early NY 'chauffeur's' and CDL years back as no longer needed for work and for sure didn't want to go through that again. As far as parallel parking - I have done just that and fairly recently, but for sure would have blundered miserably on a road test
Old 11-11-2014, 02:17 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptgregger View Post
If you are in an accident, I don't think license type is going to determine your end of the cost. Fault will remain with who caused it. Some of the most aggressive drivers on the road are those with commercial DLs. A lot of not-so-bright RV drivers out there too though. I was taking pics on the side of the road on HwY 101 yesterday in N. CAL, a FW towing Rver comes screaming around the corner! FW leaning into the turn, tires screeching the turn. Same with the Semi drivers. Speed limit was 55 mph around a fairly sharp turn and down a hill. Duh. Maybe that limit is meant for cars and not trailers? Ya think?

When I'm pulling my FW, I take plenty of time to account for wide turns, slowing down and followings speed limit changes, and keeping a huge gap of distance for the cars in front of me.

Two days ago a kid (maybe 4 yrs old) jumped out of a parked minivan right into traffic in a small Coastal Oregon town. I was doing 10 mph UNDER the speed limit, because it was a small town. Had I been going any faster, it wouldn't have been a good situation. But his parents would have shared most of the blame for allowing him to egress the van on the traffic side of the street, then run into the middle of the street!!! I've been there with my own kids trying to keep control of them when they were little but why they allowed the street side of the sliding doors to be opened is beyond me. I have never allowed that, and still don't with my kids to this day. Point is, nothing wrong with driving a little slow and no license requirement is going to instill that commons sense.

I don't know insurance regulations, but I am guessing if you are given a ticket for driving out of class when you have been in an accident, the insurance company will assign a percentage of blame to you and not pay in full. Just an educated guess, may or may not be true. I didn't want to get myself into a situation where I would have to find out.
Old 11-12-2014, 07:12 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
Nope not so , Florida and the other states that I know of do not require an endorsement for towing your own 5th wheel.....I retired from DMV...
However if you get caught driving out of your license class you will get a ticket and that will go to the insurance company. Could cost you a bundle in the long run.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #35

You should know how to parallel park your rig. May come in handy .
Old 11-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
kimbashaw
That may be true of NY and many other states, but that's NOT true for Wisconsin.
An ordinary Wisconsin drivers license is all that is required to legal drive, (or tow), ANY non-commercial/personal RV in Wisconsin...(and/or in ALL other states ...and in Canada).
Mel
'96 Safari, 135k miles
Add WA to that list too, nothing more than our regular drivers license required here.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #37

You can also a B.C. to the list. Over 10,000lbs and you need to do a written test and a road test. I guess its a good idea.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #38

How much space do they give you to parallel park a fifth wheel trailer and truck?
Old 11-27-2014, 06:55 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakviewjeff View Post
How much space do they give you to parallel park a fifth wheel trailer and truck?
I assume you're talking about on the test. Can't speak for everywhere, but on a Class A test in Texas the long distance backing and parralell parking is usually done on a wide open unpopulated road like in a business park.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
X2 in NY
93 Monaco Dynasty 300HP (for now)
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 11:53 AM   #41

Re: Licensing and accidents. CHP and most police officers will see fault as a result of carelessness or environmental causes. It is when the insurance companies attorneys and those courts go to trial that a person, who has no endorsement can be deemed (Unqualified) to operated the vehicle.

Follow the money...
Old 01-16-2015, 06:12 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avofarmer66 View Post
Re: Licensing and accidents. CHP and most police officers will see fault as a result of carelessness or environmental causes. It is when the insurance companies attorneys and those courts go to trial that a person, who has no endorsement can be deemed (Unqualified) to operated the vehicle.

Follow the money...
X2 - Better safe than sorry

Tags
driver