Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2014, 01:17 AM   #1

Drivers License R Endorsement for fifth wheel combo units

I have owned a 40' Alpine (15,500 Lbs GVWR) for two years and tow it behind a Silverado dually (13025 GVWR). I recently learned by reading several different forums that I have been driving out of class all this time.

Apparently most states have a law if the combined Gross Vehicle Weight Ratings for your tow vehicle and fifth wheel exceeds 26000 Lbs you must have an R endorsement to legally be on the road.

I took my road test today in New York for my R endorsement. There is no written test. The cost for this part of the endorsement was $10 which allowed me to take up to two road tests.

When I got to the road test site in Northern NY the DMV test admionstrator came up to me and said "I don't think you need and R, you need an A-O for this rig" I told her according to NY motor vehicle regulation a personal use vehicle is exempt CDL. She said she had placed a call to Albany to clarify. She told me in her years she has never given a road test to someone pulling a fifth wheel.... only motorhomes. Around 10 minutes later, she came over and said lets go, they decided you need an R endorsement. She was actually very nice during the entire process.

We went for a tour of the town, down a side street where she had me parallel park, then back the rig up along the curb for approximately 50-100 feet. We then went into the busier section of town and drove through some traffic and ended back where we started.

She proceeded to write me a 10 day temporary license and I guess I now go to DMV to get a new one.

I think the whole process will cost around $25 and I think it is probably a good thing the state does it. The problem is most people towing these rigs don't know they need anything other than their regular D license.
kimbashaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #2

Angry

New York has found another way to gouge their residents......
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Vaughn View Post
New York has found another way to gouge their residents......
NY and the other 50 or so States that have similar requirements.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #4

Nope not so , Florida and the other states that I know of do not require an endorsement for towing your own 5th wheel.....I retired from DMV...
Bob Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #5

Sorry, Minnesota does not have anything like that. A class D and over 18 years old is all that is required.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #6

I stand corrected as to the number of states that require something. See link:

RV Driver's License Requirements

Stand by, its only a matter of time until they all do it.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:02 AM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Parallel park a fifth wheel...hmmm odd.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Parallel park a fifth wheel...hmmm odd.
I told her this isn't something I would normally do in real life....
Old 11-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #9

She just wanted to see if you could back your rig without taking out a building. Glad you passed ok. Pete
normanmcgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:50 AM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Sounds like she made up a road test on the fly.. FMCSA DOT CDL test do not even require parallel parking.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #11

Nevada requires that you go through almost the same road test but the state also has a written test. One last little catch, if your RV has a GVWR of 10K or more then you will need the special endorsement.
Bill
Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
kimbashaw; being from NY, yes I'm aware of this requirement, and you were right in that the law doesn't differentiate between MH's, 5th Wheels, etc. It's any unit/combination that's 23,000 lbs or over. I'm willing to bet that at least 30% of NY'ers with units over 23000 are NOT licensed properly. When we bought our MH (GVW 34000) the dealer straight up said they didn't care if I was licensed properly or not, that that was my problem not there's.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Sounds like she made up a road test on the fly.. FMCSA DOT CDL test do not even require parallel parking.
A long distance straight line back up and parallel parking were part of the CDL test when I took it in 1995. As far as I know they still are.

If you touched the curb during the parallel parking it was considered an accident and -31 points triggering a failure. The smart guys would only make a half hearted attempt at it staying far from the curb and take -5 and go on rather than risk failing.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:37 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
I was a transportation safety manager as a second career with 300 semi tanker trailers. Never saw parallel parking at hundreds of CDL road tests I observerd for class A haz-mat tanker endorsement.

Tags
driver