Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2016, 05:54 AM   #1

Driving a moving truck, what to know?

I have driven the smaller 16' foot box trucks from U-Haul and Penske. No problem. But now I am renting a 26' moving truck from Penske.

Anything to know about driving a 26' moving truck?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2016, 06:06 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Truck, Will probably have a longer wheel base, so allow more room on turns. Reminder that when turning or driving on turns, the the rear wheels follow a shorter path then the front wheels. Keeping your Front wheels farther left or right on curves in the roadway, this will keep your Rear wheels in your lane.
Stopping distance requires more space with a heavier vehicle, so keep speed adjusted accordingly.

When backing, have someone be a spottier if possible. If alone, try to avoid areas requiring backing.

If your now towing a 5th wheel, you should be OK.

Have a Safe Trip!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

as already stated.

wider turns... adjust mirrors so edge of mirror sees rear edge of truck

REMEMBER overhead... should say on truck

write it down.. and tape inside someplace easy to see while driving.

you do not want it to show up on America's Funny
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

It's been over 23 years since I last rented a big moving truck to move 700 miles from Denver to Midland, but I don't recall anything unique about driving that truck compared to driving a pickup dragging a 5er. I rented the biggest diesel-powered box truck U-Haul offered, and added the biggest enclosed trailer they had to tow with the moving van. I think the trailer was only 6x12, but I packed it and the truck to the brim. Darling Wife had driven the packed and loaded car ahead of me by a few weeks (we moved to within a block of her parent's house), and I sold my commuter car before I moved. So it was just me and that big box truck dragging a cargo trailer. No problems on that trip, which I made in one long 14-hour day.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #5

I would suggest trying to stick to highways with a lower speed limit (55 or so) for the first 30-50 miles until you get a feel for it.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:18 AM   #6

Stay the heck away from trees and branches overhanging roadways as the rental companies will nail you hard for scratches. Good idea to take pictures of the cube for any that are already there
Canarado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Thanks guys...this truck is 12" 7". Slightly higher than my 5th wheel.

I made a mistake. I should have bought a 24' cargo trailer and pulled it with my truck. But the wife said she would not want resell the one way move trailer. So here is my truck...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1483052325542.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	147755  
Old 12-29-2016, 04:12 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the milage is not limited, Spend a few minutes in an empty BIG parking lot.. But odds are within 10-20 miles you will be comfortable.. I've driven everything from Garden tractors to Straight trucks (Ford F-300 custom, Chevy 30) to Semi (Ford 8000 Conventional) to Tow Truck (once) to a Class A Motor home.

Only the Class A gave me any learning,, (The Tow truck was AFTER the A or it would have too)

Only vehicles allowed on roads over 8' wide without oversize permits are
Motor homes and RV type trailers
Flat Bed tow trucks (The kind I drove home once)
Construction Equipment in construction zones (permit needed to get there)
Ag Equipment on selected roads only NOT on the freeway)

I've driven most of it.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
If your going any distance i.e. thru several states and even sometime within 1 state, you will be required to stop at all DOT Weight Stations.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #10

The Penske 26' diesel moving truck seems way underpowered. It does not have a turbo so it takes a long time to get moving. It goes down the highway fine but is noisy.

I watch carefully when fueling or driving thru a parking lot to get a bite to eat. Got 300 miles down with 650 miles to go.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1. Turn later, not wider.

2. Leave yourself an out.

3. Always keep a space cushion. If someone jumps in front of you, slow down and recreate your space cushion.

4. Try to plan ahead if possible. ID narrow roads, dead ends, etc.

Make sure to test stopping distance before you need to make a quick stop.

As previously mentioned, always be aware of the extra height and clearance required.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Have driven two People 26 footers. Fuel will be 6 - 10 mph. 6 in the Mountains. Waaaay under powered. Have a guide when backing. Know where the paperwork is for Truck Inspection Stops (behind the drivers seat, I think)

Easy to drive, just relax.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:25 PM   #13

Happy New Year !!! Pulled into my new to me home in Florida from Columbus Ohio!!!

Hopefully this will be the last time I rent a Penske underpowered 70mph limited old style diesel truck.

Drove this truck 1,000 painful miles. The old fashion very noisy diesel made the radio useless. I will look under the hood tomorrow in the much warmer Florida winter weather but I think it is an international engine. If so, what an undefined engine compared to my 2012 Ford 6.7 litre diesel which starts like a multi port fuel injected gasoline engine.

The Penske truck needed to warm up...I was use to my diesel engine...ugh. It sat in 27 degree weather and was hard to start. It ran like crap until warmed up. And I noticed every hill/mountain. This truck would lose 15mph on every hill. Jellico mountain on I75 the truck speed dropped to a noisy 40mph.

It was a huge mistake not buying a 24' cargo trailer to haul the furniture and stuff with my truck. It would have been cheaper and much more enjoyable.

Live and Learn...

Anyway - Happy New Year again.
Old 01-01-2017, 11:04 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I drove CA to Arkansas, twice. They are International engines, but I thought Max speed was 70. Price was great compared to other companies though.

Glad you made it safely. My F350 with the 6.4 starts easier too.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote