Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #15
Thanks everyone for your comments. I know this topic comes up a lot and it's a shame there's nothing straightforward out there to determine this. Therefore thank you all for your help. The safety of my family is the most important thing of all. If I ever get into an accident that resulted in serious injury or worse due to an overloaded vehicle, it would definitely weigh on my conscience if I knew that beforehand. I guess it's like driving with your family and you get into an accident but you knew all the while you were driving with bad brakes. I know it would be hard to live with that.

Interestingly when I broke the news to my wife she started looking for a less-than-spacious TT. So far, she doesn't see anything yet. She wants to also travel through or camp in mountainous regions. I'm either gonna definitely need a F-250, be satisfied with our high wall tent trailer or get a smaller travel trailer.

So here's a few more questions:

I'm thinking that we're gonna need to go f-250 but what kind of TT can I safely pull with that?

My wife is against me getting an F-250 due to money / monthly payment but I got a F-150 2012 with 10k miles to trade in. Is it really that much more expensive?

Keep in mind I also use the truck to commute to the train station for work ( about 10 miles round trip)

Vcarbona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Vcarbona View Post
I'm thinking that we're gonna need to go f-250 but what kind of TT can I safely pull with that?
The short answer is up to about 10,000 pounds trailer GVWR.

But similar to the F-150, the full answer depends on exactly which F-250 body, drivetrain, rear axle ratio, and maybe some options you go for.

All F-250s have the same 10,000 pounds GVWR, so the regular cab 4x2 with 6.2L engine would have the most payload available for hitch weight, and the CrewCab 4x4 diesel longbed would have the least.

The conventional trailer tow rating on most of the F-250s is 12,500 max with the 6.2L gassers and 14,000 pounds for the diesels. But those are myths that ignore hitch weight and assume there is nothing in the truck but a skinny driver.

So with a gas engine in a new F-250, you can tow any TT with GVWR less than about 10,000 pounds (the 12,500 tow rating is overstated). With a diesel engine, you can go a bit heavier up to a TT with up to about 11,000 GVWR unless your F-250 is the heaviest version of CrewCab 4x4 diesel.

Two examples:

1) My daughter recently needed a new pickup to tow my granddaughter's horse trailer with GVWR of 7,000 pounds. She didn't want fancy, the SuperCab had all the room in it she needed, and 15-year-old granddaughter insisted on the shorty bed so it would look kool around her high school. And hubby was coming out of a Jeep, so he really, really wanted 4x4. So: F-250 SuperCab XL shorty 4x4 6.2L. GVWR 10,000, GCWR 19,000. The tow rating of 12,500 assumes the wet and loaded tow vehicle weighs no more than 6,500 pounds. Add cab steps for the short folks (like me), and add the Ford integrated trailer brake controller. Plain Jane with manual windows and doorlocks and hose-it-out interior. They are overjoyed with their new truck, and it is more than enough truck to safely tow their 7,000 pound horse trailer to the rodeo barrel races.

2) Move up a few notches in cost and the typical new F-250 is a CrewCab Lariat shorty 4x4 with diesel engine. Heavier truck, so you have to pay attention to payload. 10,000 pounds GVWR minus about 8,500 pounds for the wet and loaded truck leaves 1500 pounds for hitch weight. And 1500 pounds hitch weight translates into a TT with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds.

So either way, consider TTs with GVWR less than 10,000 pounds.

If 10,000 GVWR is still a bit too small for your desires, then consider an F-350 SRW tow vehicle. Almost identical to the F-250 in every way, except they have 1,500 pounds more GVWR, which translates into more than 1,400 pounds more available payload for hitch weight. So instead of 10,000 pounds trailer behind a diesel, you could probably get closer to the 14,000 pound tow rating without being overloaded..

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:48 PM   #17
This Travel Trailer weight calculator removes all doubt and guesswork from properly and safely matching a tow vehicle and travel trailer. It even offers the 20% safety margin most full-timers use to make towing easier and the tow vehicle last longer.
You notice that nowhere does it even mention "dry weight" or unloaded weight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #18
Monaco Owners Club
Way to much focus on weight alone here. When towing a travel trailer you must consider everything and weight is only one of many considerations. Wheel base, distance from rear wheels to hitch or pivot point depending on hitch system, a good hitch system, independent suspension, height of travel trailer, aro dynamics are a few to think about. To many just grab an f 150 and match a travel trailer by the stickers stamped on each. Big mistake. I could have a safer set up pulling a trailer overloaded past the stamped gvwr if I had the right match of tow vehicle and trailer vs someone who just goes by the weights but has a poor hitch system etc.
2008 HR 340 Cummins, Vacationer XL
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
if you are gonna look at an F-250, take a look at the F-350 Single Rear Wheel (SRW). Same truck as the F-250 but higher weight ratings for not much more $$$. It give you room to grow.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #20
On average folks will add about 1200 lbs of "stuff" to the trailer when you're moved in a ready to go camping. Ours is 1500 lbs heavier than the dry weight at the scale with 1/2 tank of fresh water and holding tanks empty.

2001 Suburban 2500 8.1L big block and 4.10 axle
2008 Terry 280FQS Luxury TT
BurbMan is offline   Reply With Quote